Tales from the IRC past

Options
taunto
taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
Some of you guys might remember IRC from back in the early 90's. Some like me might still be addicted to it. Those who don't know of it, it was one of the early forms of online chatting and still have a huge community though now its mostly restricted to tech groups and anime users.

Anyways, back when me and a group of friends used to run few big channels, we used to keep logs of who's saying what and everything. I was looking back and it reminded me of our quotes database that we kept for some of the funny convos we had. Here's some of those convos

=======================================================
<Goatroper> so i had a checkup at the doctor a couple months ago
<Goatroper> i waited in the goddamn lobby for like 2 hours
<Goatroper> i was just starting to doze off when they called me back into one of the exam rooms
<Goatroper> so i sit on this chair for like 30 more mins, and then fall asleep
<Goatroper> i wake up and have no idea what time it is or how long i've been waiting
<Goatroper> so 20 minutes later after I finished reading the Hispanic Business Weekly
<Goatroper> I start diggin through the drawers in the exam table and his desk drawer
<Goatroper> i find some hypos and don't touch them, some dressing gowns, and then i get to the drawer marked "OB/GYN"
<Goatroper> i open it up, take a peeky-peek inside, and what do I see? Speculums and rectal dilators.
<Goatroper> At this point I'm in his desk rolly-chair
<Goatroper> with about 40 rubber gloves in my pockets for later use
<Goatroper> so I grab a speculum in each hand
<Goatroper> and start making them sing and talk like little ducks
<Goatroper> i was rooting around for a sharpie and couldn't find one
<Goatroper> so i put them down and did my glove-trick
<Goatroper> i stretched a rubber glove over my head and blew it up
<Goatroper> then i grabbbed the speculums and started spinning around in his chair
<Goatroper> glove inflated on my head the size of two basketballs
<Goatroper> speculum in each hand
<Goatroper> spinning in his office chair
<Goatroper> i hear footsteps and as i'm extending my legs to slow down, the door opens
<Goatroper> the doctor is standing there with my chart in his hand
<kr0nus> omg
<Goatroper> i stopped spinning and just sat there, looking at him through the thin film of the glove
<Goatroper> he was like "Corey.....?"
<Goatroper> I said "Yep."
<Goatroper> held up the speculums.
<Goatroper> said, "I got bored."
<Goatroper> and he was like "That's quite a trick with those gloves. Where did you learn that?"
<Goatroper> I said "Many doctor's offices in many states."
<Goatroper> He was like "You want to take some with you?" as I got up
<Goatroper> I pulled the wad out of my pocket and said "Already did."
<Goatroper> then I walked out and i heard him laughing like a goddamn maniac as soon as the door was closed
<Goatroper> then the other day i go in again rofl and he just hands me a brand new unopened box of 100 gloves
<Goatroper> i was gonna ask for some speculums just to f*** with him but I was afraid he'd give me some

<@cripwalker&gt; my girlfriend is so f****** cool.
<@cripwalker&gt; we were arguing in IM last night about techtv being lame since g4 took over.
<@cripwalker&gt; she thinks its better now that theres more "pretty" people on it.
<@cripwalker&gt; that filter girl is, like, her idol.
<@cripwalker&gt; anyway, i wasn't giving up. i really believe that channel to be a lost cause, now.
<@cripwalker&gt; so she says to me "i'm gonna come over there and beat some sense in to you"
<@cripwalker&gt; then she logs out.
<@cripwalker&gt; about 10 minutes later, she pulls up in her car, runs into the house, walks in like she owns the damned place, and punches me hard as hell in the arm. no hello, or nothing.
<@cripwalker&gt; then she leaves. didn't even say goodbye. i was totally speechless.
<@cripwalker&gt; sure enough, 10 minutes later she logs back on.
<@cripwalker&gt; she says "i knew you'd see things my way."
<@cripwalker&gt; then she asks if she can come over to watch tv...
<@cripwalker&gt; i'm sooo gonna marry her!

<Dogan> GUYS, STORY TIME
<Dogan> SO my teacher's friend's friend or something
<Dogan> She was dogsitting one day
<Dogan> Shows up the first time, finds the dog dead on the floor, right?
<Nightryde> how embarrassing
<Dogan> SO she's gotta pack the dog corpse up and take it to the vet so they can dispose of it or whatever
<Dogan> She can't find anything to fit it in, so she stuffs it in a freaking SUITCASE
<Dogan> She didn't have a car so she has to take the train through Chicago
<Zeelot> oh mannnn
<Dogan> This guy helps her carry the case on and is like
<Dogan> "this is pretty heavy, what's in it?"
<Dogan> lady replies "just some computer things"
<Dogan> the guy SOCKS HER IN THE FACE AND RUNS OFF WITH THE CASE
<joebot> ROFLMAO ROFLROFLROFL!!!
<Zeelot> OMG ROOOOOOOOOFL
<Nightryde> AHAHAHAHAHAHA HOW would you pawn that sort of thing???

=============================================================
<Cthon98> hey, if you type in your pw, it will show as stars
<Cthon98> ********* see!
<AzureDiamond> hunter2
<AzureDiamond> doesnt look like stars to me
<Cthon98> <AzureDiamond> *******
<Cthon98> thats what I see
<AzureDiamond> oh, really?
<Cthon98> Absolutely
<AzureDiamond> you can go hunter2 my hunter2-ing hunter2
<AzureDiamond> haha, does that look funny to you?
<Cthon98> lol, yes. See, when YOU type hunter2, it shows to us as *******
<AzureDiamond> thats neat, I didnt know IRC did that
<Cthon98> yep, no matter how many times you type hunter2, it will show to us as *******
<AzureDiamond> awesome!
<AzureDiamond> wait, how do you know my pw?
<Cthon98> er, I just copy pasted YOUR ******'s and it appears to YOU as hunter2 cause its your pw
<AzureDiamond> oh, ok.

==============================================
<Zybl0re> get up
<Zybl0re> get on up
<Zybl0re> get up
<Zybl0re> get on up
<phxl|paper> and DANCE
* nmp3bot dances :D-<
* nmp3bot dances :D|-<
* nmp3bot dances :D/-<
<[SA]HatfulOfHollow> i'm going to become rich and famous after i invent a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet

Replies

• taunto
    Options
    aww no IRC users? :(
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Hah. It's been a while, but I used to hang out on Undernet quite a bit. Probably still have some logs on here somewhere. Bash.org is good for this kind of stuff. :)
  • edaaff
    edaaff Posts: 15
    Options
    used to be addicted to IRC. Don't go on any more, Don't really have the time. Is it still active? I thought it'd be dead by now??
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I actually went to IRC a few months ago...it is still around but not nearly as useful.
  • taunto
    Options
    Hah. It's been a while, but I used to hang out on Undernet quite a bit. Probably still have some logs on here somewhere. Bash.org is good for this kind of stuff. :)

geek issues has its own site with most of their material. bash is good but with the popularity came alot of fake stuff so now I rely on qdb more
  • taunto
    Options
    used to be addicted to IRC. Don't go on any more, Don't really have the time. Is it still active? I thought it'd be dead by now??

I was literally addicted to efnet. It was my favorite past time to take over channels during netsplits. Oh the fun times! Its far from dead. If anything I'd say its more active than before due to bigger numbers however its more to do with tech, games and anime more than anything
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I was more of a MUDs and MOOs kinda gal. Like, half my life ago. Wow, I really AM old :sad:
  • edaaff
    edaaff Posts: 15
    Options

I was literally addicted to efnet. It was my favorite past time to take over channels during netsplits. Oh the fun times! Its far from dead. If anything I'd say its more active than before due to bigger numbers however its more to do with tech, games and anime more than anything

I just remember the hi-jink involved with IRC. Defiantly where a big part of my humor came from. I loved joining Vent. channels and being a dumb teen.