Low Joint Stress Cardio Workouts?

Options
I'm new to the site so I have no clue if this has been answered before.

Does anyone know of cardio work outs that are very low stress on the knees that I can do at home? I have bad knees, and have had pretty much my whole life. It kinda stinks being 25 and already suffer from joint issues, and no weight is not the issue, I may weigh close to 160 but I have never looked it. My knee problems are half genetics and half bad anatomy structure (My knee caps are pulled to the outside and tilted causing stress on the anterior cartilage and inner quad muscle.)

And also before you say just work through the pain, please know that I can't, and have pretty much been told by two orthopedic doctors that A. I should not have a job where I'm on my feet for 8 hours, which is too bad cause I'm a nurse, and B. I shouldn't do any kind of running or high stress activities especially inclines or too many stairs.

I would love some great ideas and tips!

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    the pool!!! rowing and biking might be good
  • adietron
    adietron Posts: 155
    Options
    You can try a high-intensity or cardio yoga. There are a lot of poses where you're not moving, but your heart rate is through the roof. Heaps of DVDs out there, you can also check out yoga journal: http://www.yogajournal.com/
  • adietron
    adietron Posts: 155
    Options
    the pool!!! rowing and biking might be good
    If the o.p. has a pool at home, I guess swimming would be an "at-home" cardio workout :wink:

I second the biking motion, it was the only thing that got me back on track after knee surgery. My buddy switched to it after dual hip-replacement, his doc banned him from running too.
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical. I have knee problems too, mine however ARE weight related, but this actually is very low impact. Or bike riding.

I totally agree with water aerobics, even just walking in the water, there is always resistance, I try to run in my pool. I'm adding more activity to my day/

Good luck to you!

Ronney
  • alexias9
    alexias9 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    speed walking helps. i too suffer from knee pains. i have arthritis in both knees from being a runner, along with it in my right ankle and a pulled tendion and ligament in my right ankle. i know the pains of being limited to workouts. i tried ae sports active on the xbox and that worked pretty good. you can delete what exercises you don't want to do that'll cause a lot of pain. most of them worked well for me.