Confused

Options
Today I met with a personal trainer I want to get this started right. MFP gives me 1200 cal a day, The trainer says I should eat 200-300 every 3 hours with one of those meals being 4-500. So which do I do?

Also my trainer really pushes protiens. Especially at night he says protiens and veggies only. I am going over my protien limit MFP give me. Is this bad?

If I decide to go with more calories can I manualy change it? The 1200 a day is for 1/2 lb lose.

Replies

• ChassityDawn
    Options
    anyone?
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    Go back an customize you goals and it will allow you to change your marco nutrients. I use 40% carbs/40% protein/20% fat. This way it's fairly balanced and is how I try to do my meals each day. MFP's default is heavy carb. Changing it will keep you out of the negative. One thing you'll read here is many say to eat 1g of Protein per lb of body fat to maintain lean muscle.

On the 1st question, frankly it's doesn't really matter at which meal and you can change that every day. I try to consume the largest meal for breakfast to get the day off right. I like to go to bed as "empty" as possible but that's just my thing. That said, if you're going to have something calorie rich for dinner (say Salmon and a sweet potato) you may want to save the larger meal for dinner that day.
  • adietron
    adietron Posts: 155
    Options
    Yes, you can change the goals MFP has set for you. In fact, this will probably work better for you after you customize.

Go to: My Home - Goals - Change goals (button at bottom) - Custom: Manually set my own custom fitness goals

I'm guessing if you change your ratios to 40% carb, 30 fat, 30 protein, that will be more in-line with what your trainer is recommending. If you're working with a trainer and doing resistance training 3 days a week, you could probably even afford to bump your calorie limit up... maybe try setting it 50 cals above your BMR. (Although, leaving it at 1200 for a few weeks isn't necessarily a bad thing, I just find that I go a little crazy on that little food!)

For a LONG time I also did protein and veggies only at night. It works for many people, but if you're short on carbs for the day, don't be afraid to throw your fish and veg on a bed of quinoa or brown rice. It's not just about calories, it's about nutrients too.
  • mallorymcfatty
    Options
    OHhh honeeyyy, this is a mofo'in WEBSITE. yo trainer know his BUSINESS. You betta listen ta him!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    OHhh honeeyyy, this is a mofo'in WEBSITE. yo trainer know his BUSINESS. You betta listen ta him!

Unless the trainer has some sort of certified instruction (degree and/or state certification) in nutrition and diet, then no, he does not.