Running

Options
Ayriz
Ayriz Posts: 18 Member
I would love to start running and I have the time to do so. My swimming season just ended and I really need the cardio to lose weight! Any tips on how to get started?
I have a little over a mile around my neighborhood and I could bring friends with me, but... they seem to just get lazy.

Thanks!

-Ana

Replies

• Tysonhi98
    Tysonhi98 Posts: 21
    Options
    start slowly don't worry about pace and build distance gradually, i ran 15mins 5k's not so long ago lol :)
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    When you first get out, go at a pace that feels a bit slow, and aim for distance or longer time rather than speed. Speed with come.

And pick some pretty stuff to run by. Running is more fun when the scenery is pretty.
  • Ayriz
    Options
    Ah, yes :)
    I'll pace myself and build up.
    Hm, do you guys suggest any amount of time? 10 min? 15 min? 20 min?
  • vegmomma
    vegmomma Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Do you have a smart phone? I downloaded couch to 5K awhile back and it takes you through intervals of running and in 9 weeks, you are supposed to be able to run a 5K. I haven't done one yet but I did finish the program and I loved it!
  • Tysonhi98
    Options
    whatever you can manage, not too much to start off with, remember take the pace very slowly, you'll pick up the pace later when you get fitter :)
  • Ayriz
    Options
    Yes, I do have a smart phone. That sounds awesome! What's the app's name?

Alright, thank you :)
    I guess I'll start with 10 minutes and keep adding 5.
  • xachooo
    xachooo Posts: 42
    Options
    Only add about 10% more distance each week or risk shin spints and all other sorts of injuries. And get good shoes. and a sports bra.
  • bwcrouch
    bwcrouch Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Um, it's Couch to 5k sometimes abbreviated C25K
  • bwcrouch
    bwcrouch Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've successfully used The Running Book by Jeff Galloway
  • Tysonhi98
    Options
    get a good pair of runners also, helps avoid the nasty shin splints :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I went from being a complete non-runner to being able to run a 5k without stopping using a c25k program. :smile: I used c25kFREE by Zen Labs - gives you the 9 week program, gives voice prompts when you warm up, when to walk, when to run, when to cool down. You can also play your music during the program, and it mutes it when the voice prompts come through.

Check it out!
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    take your time. improvement is eventual and be dedicated. that includes rest days.
  • Tysonhi98
    Options
    take your time. improvement is eventual and be dedicated. that includes rest days.

+1, if your patient and consistent with your training the results will follow, rest days are a must also :)
  • erinn_leigh
    Options
    Yes, I do have a smart phone. That sounds awesome! What's the app's name?

Alright, thank you :)
    I guess I'll start with 10 minutes and keep adding 5.

It's the Active.com Couch-to-5k app, it's the best! When I first did it back in 2000, I had to keep track on a stopwatch. The app is so great! I'm on Week 6 Day 3 :)
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    Fast walking also builds endurance/stamina... That's what did the charm for me. Now I can jog for like 45 minutes. Started out only running 3 minutes.
  • berlynn_j
    berlynn_j Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Like others, I would definitely use the couch to 5k program. But there are several you don't just have to go with one. I know some use an iphone or droid app, there are also several on the internet. Some take 9 weeks, some 10, I've seen them go up to 15. You have to pick the one that's right for you, rather it's more aggressive or takes you a little slower. Don't think you are limited to one choice, but it's definitely the way to go because each program starts you out slow and steps you up a little at time so that your body builds endurance. It makes running fun and not a chore. I'm on week 5 of mine, out of week ten, and I love it. Before that I only ran if someone chased me with a chainsaw. Look it up, do the research. Pick something that works for you.
  • Ayriz
    Options
    You guys are awesome!
    Thanks a lot!

Will totally follow all of your advice.
  • heatgal976
    heatgal976 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Shoes, shoes, and shoes again. I went to a run store to be fitted with the correct shoes. Proper shoes prevent injury. You can also Google Hal Higdon's website. It has tons of training/running programs that you can follow starting with novice. Tons of information that will help you out.
  • jerlynsch
    jerlynsch Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have probably a silly question, but I always thought I couldn't run because I was heavier...but now that I've lost some weight, my knees STILL feel like they want to slip out of place? Is that normal? Should I just stretch more? I bought 2 knee braces and that seems to help but I feel confined lol...oh and new running shoes too...I'm all prepared with my little c25k app etc but almost 60 seconds in and my knees feel very very weak...Any suggestions?
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    1) Shoes, get a pair from a local running store, let them assess and fit you properly.
    2) Take it slowly and build up, C25K is great to get going
    3) Enjoy it, if you are struggling slow down, repeat weeks if you are doing the program. If you are struggling, give yourself time to adapt and build fitness.

If you are going to start running, assume you will be including it in your fitness schedule for life, it is not a shortcut, starting slow and building into it is the only way to ensure you get the benefits over the long term.