Weight loss plateau

Options
So I have been stuck at my current weight for about 6 weeks now. I still have about 40lbs to lose, so I'm not sure what is going on. I kicked up my workouts this week, adding kick and core class, zumba, and boot camp to my running, walking and biking. Some times I go to Yoga class or to a workout tape. I've hit the workouts pretty hard, and am consistently hitting my calorie intake goals for the day. I also drink about 100oz of water per day (and am still thirsty, can you believe it?).

I know that I have good days, bad days, and days where I could have given a lot more...but for me it is a lifestyle change, so I don't want to rush it or get too upset.

Any suggestions? Thanks MFP friends.

Replies

• myurav
    myurav Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Just a quick question: how many calories are you eating, on average, per day?

Also, you have a good attitude of keeping on track. Stay focused and keep exercising. Yes, you haven't lost weight, but at least you haven't gained!
  • TiffanyA2008
    Options
    I know that I have good days, bad days, and days where I could have given a lot more...but for me it is a lifestyle change, so I don't want to rush it or get too upset.

You definitely don't want to rush things and don't get upset either. Weight loss takes time. The more slowly it is coming off the more likely it is to stay off. You have unfortunately hit a plateau though. Losing weight is more about your diet and less about exercising. I mean, don't get me wrong, you have to exercise. The most important thing though is your diet. So what are you eating? How many calories are you taking in daily? Are you eating pretty clean? These are things you have to think about.

I wish you the best of luck though!! :)
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    One idea is to double-check your food measuring skills - spend a day or two first estimating, then measuring EVERYTHING with a volume measure or a food scale. It's easy over time to forget what an ounce of chicken or a tablespoon of peanut butter looks like.
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Ive heard and been told several times that sometimes uping your calories helps. Our bodies get used to what we are doing and it in turn stops the shedding. I have experienced this as well. actually im in a rut so i have been platued for about a year...i had to stop looking at the scale and started thinking about how good i felt and how good my body felt and that was enough for me :)

good luck with your plateau though. i suggest looking up calorie staggering. if you can do it, it will work !
  • momocurti
    momocurti Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    One idea is to double-check your food measuring skills - spend a day or two first estimating, then measuring EVERYTHING with a volume measure or a food scale. It's easy over time to forget what an ounce of chicken or a tablespoon of peanut butter looks like.

Excellent advice!
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I would check the NET calories..I have been advised that too low of a net can cause the body to go into starvation mode..and it's true..
  • amadeleon
    amadeleon Posts: 6
    Options
    I have hit a plateau too for the last two weeks. I have been measuring and following the recomended calorie intake on my MFP and working out 5-6 tmes a week doing Insanity. Is there something else I can be doing.? what do you mean by NET calories?
  • agmick
    agmick Posts: 6
    Options
    When I hit a plateau, I started fasting one day a week (google intermittent fasting- IF)...where I would eat dinner go to bed, and then chug water all day until dinner the following night and eat a reasonable dinner (no buffets etc...). I have kept doing it about every 2 weeks or so--there are other methods where you just eat during 8 specific hours during the day (which goes against the "feed the metabolism" idea--but there are arguments on both sides)--lots of info if you google it.

It turned out to be much easier than I expected as well.