Biggest change in your kitchen since starting MFP?

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    What have been the biggest changes to your kitchen since you started using MFP?

Mine is the constant use of measuring cups/spoons. I am on a 24/7 rotation of using and washing my measuring tools!

Exactly! :laugh: My constant use of measuring cups and the kitchen scale.

ETA: I always ate healthy foods before, but I wasn't watching portions. My food hasn't changed at all, it just gets measured now, but there is no more juice in the house, ever. What a waste of calories that was...
  • amiguito123
    Options
    The biggest change is that we are using it more! We used to eat out almost 5 times a week, and now we only eat out twice per month. We also purchased a Breville Juice Fountain after watching the documentary Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead and we love it! It gets used every single day.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Very little processed foods where most of it used to be processed.

No butter/margarine/corn oil.

No soda.

Most foods can ruin in days, instead of having an unlimited shelf life.

Foods come from the fridge instead of the cabinets.

I don't go in there as much because I'm not eating all the time.
  • driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I've been through 3 kitchen weight scales to say the least haha
  • TrinaJ11
    TrinaJ11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My food scale..that I use every second of the day. I actually use my measuring cups now too. I still have a designated "snack" cabinet but instead of being filled with chips and cookies it's filled with protein bars/shakes & rice cakes.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    A small food scale - mostly for measuring dense food like rice and pasta and fish. For most products I can go by the package data and measure by cups and tablespoons.

Other than that the changes are more subtle, 90% less high sugar yogurt, no milk chocolate, more bags of precut salad greens.
  • dvnjustina
    dvnjustina Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My deep chest freezer and a bread machine.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    My kitchen scale cries. And it eats batteries, or I just use it a lot one or the other.
  • guamSUPERgirl90
    Options
    First off, the kitchen is cleaner :D
    New appliances :D
    Kid's snacks are no longer in plain view :D
    Better variety of food in the fridge (no more tv dinners except for the occasional hot pockets for the kids)
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Fewer processed "meat replacements"

kitchen scale

Usually little to no cheese

New blender
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Less prepackaged meals and more ingredients for cooking.

Also my rice cooker gets used almost everyday. Ill cook brown rice and at the same time use the steamer bowl for veggies.

Also I dont keep any bad snack food on hand anymore. If its in the house Ill eat it until its gone (chips,soda, cookies, crackers, chocolate,anything I could mindlessly eat from a package) I did buy some sherbert recently though :ohwell: Its been sooo warm out!
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    More raw fruits and veggies that actually get eaten.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    food scale
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Not really much. I already have eaten good for years. I just learned to not

The biggest changes I've made:
    1. No Splenda (I use Stevia instead from time to time). No Diet Soda, not that we did it much anyway.
    2. I switched from rice milk (higher carb) to coconut milk (low carb).
    3. Learned to just eat low carb and not combine even brown rice with my higher fat meals; so food combining. If I have an avocado I don't eat carbs with it, only protein/veggies/fats with it.
    4. Corn is the big one; reduced or eat practically no corn products (no more tortillas even if they are organic, no more corn with meals, no more corn tortillas with taco salads, etc).
    5. Eating MORE calories, by logging I realized some days I was eating 850, 900 calories, because I snacked on small things throughout the day.
    6. Stopped coffee/or anything that impedes my digestion (although I started a little again, I need to quit it again). I would drink it all day long, with rice milk in it, splenda, etc. Overkill on that.
    7.Watch the fruit portions.
    8. I actually have splurge days, splurge meals and desserts (when before I deprived a lot!).

I already did ground turkey instead of higher fat meat, already brown rice instead of white and quinoa. Already oatmeal and stuff for breakfast. Already gluten and dairy-free. Already at kind of on the lower-carb side or at least better-choice carbs. Already no white/starch stuff like potatoes (although I do love to make potato skins). Already watch my portions, eat good and watch my dessert intake.

Recently I stopped eating raw almond butter and almonds- they were stopping the iodine (goitrogen) from getting to my thyroid, which slows wt. loss. So I notice that's been helping, switched to pecans, cashews and Brazil nuts instead (and sunflower seed butter).
  • Ilysandrew11
    Ilysandrew11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of the measuring cups now and I have a lot more fruit and healthier snacks then my house has ever seen....we still have the junk (fiance isnt quite on board yet) but I am contantly counting calories and I write them in a book as well as log them into here :)
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    The biggest change in my kitchen is that two of us can fit in it now LOL - seriously, my kitchen is sooooo tiny if one person wanted to open a cupboard the other person had to leave the room.

I only buy one loaf of wholemeal bread now, before it would be at least 3 white loaves, and of that one wholemeal loaf I might eat just 2 slices over the week, hubby has the rest for his work lunches.
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    The amount and variety of fruits and veggies that I always have available.
    Cutting board in a functional place.
    I have waaay more herbs and spices to experiment with.
    Food Scale and measuring cups/spoons.
    More healthy recipes.
  • SanyamKaushik
    SanyamKaushik Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Mine is the constant use of measuring cups/spoons. I am on a 24/7 rotation of using and washing my measuring tools!

^ & use of kitchen scale... And another biggest change is not in the kitchen but the shopping trolley :D
  • ashumeow
    ashumeow Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Cheese =D
  • oldy76
    oldy76 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've been 15 months on MFP and I'm STILL weighing everything I eat even though I'm at my goal weight! I never used to own scales before. I even took them away on holiday with me!
    I guess I just like knowing exactly how much I'm eating... or I'm completely nuts :bigsmile: