Cardio or strength training first?

Options
80zgrl
80zgrl Posts: 16 Member
I've been doing cardio for a little over a week now and am ready to add strength training. Is there a proper order to do this? I'm guessing strength training first and then end it with cardio but I'm really not sure.

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I do weights first, and then cardio. When I did cardio first, i would be a little tired from the cardio, and I couldn't lift as heavy.
  • 80zgrl
    80zgrl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the info : )
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    i run 2-3 miles, then weights then if im not tired another 1 mile, if im tired then crunches
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    I prefer a "cardio" warm up, say 10 minutes on the elliptical before strength training justt o get the blood flowing and warm up the muscles.
  • ambivalence11
    ambivalence11 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Weights first, to maximize your well rested muscles ability and gain more in the process, then cardio, which will be harder with tired muscles, and thus, burn more calories.
  • AllDIVA
    AllDIVA Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    For the most part strength training first. When i work out with my trainer most of the time that is what we do first. However we do kick boxing. We will box first, then lift. Sometime we do the kicking in between weight lifting sets
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to say here, because the MFPers have covered it and covered it well. They are giving you excellent advice. Good luck!
  • icculus19
    icculus19 Posts: 39
    Options
    actually you should do about 25 minutes of lite cardio like the bike or eliptical to get your heart rate into the cardio zone for your work out. your more intense cardio should be done after weights