I need more protein!

Options
2»

Replies

• susanb8500
    susanb8500 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Eggs! They are cheap and high in protein. They are very versatile as well. Boiled eggs make great snacks. You can make omelets with spinach, mushrooms, peppers, a little cheese. You can make frittatas for a heartier meal. Add boiled eggs to a salad.

Other high protein foods I enjoy - lean chicken breast, Greek yogurt, nuts (just watch the quantity because they are high in calories), tuna, some cheeses, beans/legumes. I'm addicted to Butterball turkey bacon!
  • bodyrocks365
    Options
    For all you "veggies" out there I just found out that LIMA beans have large amounts of protein!!! Not all beans (or nuts) have adequate protein despite what people say.
  • annie_banannie
    annie_banannie Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    urglewurgle said

I whizz up my own shakes

urglewurgle, I almost choked when I read your post!

FYI, in my part of the world, "whizz" means urinate. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    Is it smart to eat only the whites of eggs. Don't the yolks have most of the nutrients?
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Can anyone give me a list of foods that are high in protein? I need eat a lot more of it and I don't like making a protein shake after workouts. Anyone???

Dry cat food.

Use it in salads like croutons.
  • agmick
    agmick Posts: 6
    Options
    If you aren't concerned about sodium--a 3oz bag of beef jerky has ~45g or so--and it's not the cheapest snack...but it helps me snack.
  • Eafears
    Eafears Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am surprised not to see FAGE greek yogurt here. There are 22 g of protien per serving. Other things that are great to get protein from are nuts and nut-butters, chickpeas are great, beans, Quinoa has 18g per cup! There are some awesome and flavorful ways to get your protein in with out loading down on meats. I add greek yogurt to anything I bake, especially bread. That way nearly every slice has 5g's. And if your working out protein shakes are a great way to revitalize your muscles right after and pack about 24g's per serving. Good Luck
  • AllDIVA
    AllDIVA Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Lean meats, lentils, beans... However, if you have the money, buy the ready made shakes in can. I use pure protein 35 grams protein and 2 carbs.Strawberry, I am not a chocolate fan. I know they get boring but I use as snack and or with a meal. Also put in oatmeal.. powder or already made. protein every meal. not necessarily a big amount.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Eggs, tuna, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, beef jerky, soy crisps..
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    Protein is usually accompanied by fat, and nuts are the worst offender for this. My favorites:

Cottage cheese
    Greek-style yogurt
    Reduced fat string cheese
    Frozen chicken breast
    Beans (but these come with a lot of calories)

Maybe keep some protein powder around if you can't reach your protein goal for the day.
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    just having a 95g mango chilli tuna with 60gm low fat cottage cheese - about 20gm protein. Doesn't hit the muscles as quickly as a protein (water mixed) which is what is needed post w/o as i understand it
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Cheese Sticks
    Protein Shakes
    Lean Meats
    Greek Yogurt
    Beef Jerky
  • bubmaster
    bubmaster Posts: 90
    Options
    cottage cheese/baked beans/meat/fish
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Sunflower seeds!
  • wolfsoul121
    wolfsoul121 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My wife is hypoglycemic and has been told she needs to consume an astronomical amount of protein for her size to prevent becoming a diabetic. She eats chicken and fish, but also supplements with Premier Protein shakes (http://premiernutrition.com/protein-shake.html) which she gets at Costco and are extremely easy since they are ready made and very portable. 30 grams of protein per shake. She keeps one or two in the car at all times for emergencies when her blood sugar is out of whack. I drink them too after a particularly heavy workout. In our opinion, stay away from the vanilla. But the chocolate is actually pretty good.

As others have noted, she also eats Greek yogurt, and to give it extra protein oomph, adds NOW Foods egg white powder to it.
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Depending on your region, you may catch a sale on fish during this time of year. I just bought nearly 7 lbs of fresh, wild rockfish fillets for $4.50 a pound (labelled as "snapper", they are closely related. Sustainably line-caught, I called the store's HQ for VERY specific info on exact species and fishing methods. Never be afraid to ask questions about your food!). This runs equivalent to the absolute cheapest price I can find boneless, skinless chicken breast at, here. For 100g, the fish is 94 calories, 2g fat, 19g protein. Have to go portion and freeze a lot of it now, actually...