cucumber help!!

Options
2»

Replies

• LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers are "bad" the exact same way mushrooms are "bad." In reality, it's not that either one is particularly *bad* for you, it's just that they're not really nutritionally super *good* for you since they don't have a high concentration of vitamins and minerals.
    IMO, it's not a very good idea to actually count cucumbers as a serving of veggies for the reason stated above, but they're certainly still fine to eat as a low cal snack!

I think (hope) the point Desidirata was making is if cucumbers are basically the only veggie you're eating, you should probably consider other options (carrots, broccoli, etc) with higher nutritional values for your veggie servings.

I like cukes with a little salt, pepper, and red wine vinegar.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I like them in the sandwich form that someone else mentioned above, however, I also add tomato to that. whole wheat or grain bread, with some fat free cream cheese, cukes, tomato, sprinkle of salt and pepper, and then some sprouts. Super yummy!
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    mello, that’s some great info on cucumbers. Jessica, there are plenty of things you can do with cucumbers. Our SaladCenter website has many creative ideas you could check out, just go in the Seasonal Produce section. It can give you tips on how to prepare or serve cucumbers a long with many other produce. Here’s a creative cucumber recipe you might want to try, especially for any holiday parties coming up. Let me know what you think.

Cream Cheese N' Herb Cucumber Bites

Prep Time: 10 min * Total Time: 10 min * Makes: 4 servings

What you Need:
    1 carrot, shredded (about 1/2 cup), divided
    1/2 cup PHILADELPHIA Chive & Onion 1/3 Less Fat than Cream Cheese
    2 cucumbers, cut lengthwise in half, seeded

What To Do:
    RESERVE 2 Tbsp. carrots. Mix remaining carrots with cream cheese; spoon into cucumber shells. Top with reserved carrots.

CUT each cucumber half into 5 pieces to serve.

Here's the link to the recipe and Nutritional facts:
    http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/cream-cheese-n-herb-56995.aspx

thanks for posting this!
  • hodaka123
    Options
    I have this at least 4 times per week for my lunch:

La Tortilla - low carb, high fiber whole wheat tortilla - heat it on the stove
    spread 1 triangle of laughing cow cheese - garlic and herbs on the tortilla
    cut up the following: cucumber, tomato, red onion - salt and pepper
    roll it all up and enjoy. It adds up to be about 147 calories.
  • LivinTheLife
    Options
    mello, that’s some great info on cucumbers. Jessica, there are plenty of things you can do with cucumbers. Our SaladCenter website has many creative ideas you could check out, just go in the Seasonal Produce section. It can give you tips on how to prepare or serve cucumbers a long with many other produce. Here’s a creative cucumber recipe you might want to try, especially for any holiday parties coming up. Let me know what you think.

Cream Cheese N' Herb Cucumber Bites

Prep Time: 10 min * Total Time: 10 min * Makes: 4 servings

What you Need:
    1 carrot, shredded (about 1/2 cup), divided
    1/2 cup PHILADELPHIA Chive & Onion 1/3 Less Fat than Cream Cheese
    2 cucumbers, cut lengthwise in half, seeded

What To Do:
    RESERVE 2 Tbsp. carrots. Mix remaining carrots with cream cheese; spoon into cucumber shells. Top with reserved carrots.

CUT each cucumber half into 5 pieces to serve.

Here's the link to the recipe and Nutritional facts:
    http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/cream-cheese-n-herb-56995.aspx

thanks for posting this!

No Problem Loathesome! Please enjoy! Let me know how it turns out! :)
  • MPH2
    MPH2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thin some plain yogurt with a bit of milk to make a creamy texture, add dill weed, stir in thinly sliced cucumbers serve as a side dish. This is very common dish in Germany, easy and with a bright fresh taste.

Cucumber bad? .................... Please.

I say they are good for the exact reason you say they are bad. A food that gives satisfaction of eating, is mostly water, and gives the pleasant filling of fullness without the calories is a pure bonus for most dieters. Not to mention the beneficial effects of water and fiber on the digestive track and the skin is packed with phitonutrients.
  • forgetthatday
    forgetthatday Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thin some plain yogurt with a bit of milk to make a creamy texture, add dill weed, stir in thinly sliced cucumbers serve as a side dish. This is very common dish in Germany, easy and with a bright fresh taste.

my Dad mixes cukes with sour cream, salt and pepper - very similar to this and so tasty!
  • Steebs3
    Steebs3 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    cut into slices and pour alittle italian dressing on them
  • junkgypsy
    Options
    Why is everyone hating on cucumbers?
    No, they're not something you want to make a meal out of or base your nutrition off of, but they are not bad for you.

At least she is making a healthy decision, cucumbers are better than french fries or other fried foods, and tons of other stuff, no?
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    The girl that posted that they are bad hasn't been on here since 11/30...so fret too much over it.
    Cucumbers are great for filling you up and contain water (which is one thing the body needs).