quit smoking with me

Options

Replies

• denisebme
    denisebme Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Good luck everyone! I quit cold Turkey on December 7th, and I've never felt better. I smoked more than a pack a day, every day, for 30 years.
    Just like with losing weight, its the mental part of it that's the toughest. If you can get through the first few days, and intentionally bring in habits that can help you when you hit a "trigger", you're most the way home.
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I was one year smoke free on July 4th this year!

I started smoking when i was 13 years old.

I smoked 3-4 packs per day for 22 years.

good for you, 4 packs a day? i didnt think there was enough time in the day to smoke that much
  • gavini
    Options
    I created a thread earlier asking for tips on how to maintain or lose weight while quitting smoking. If anyone was able to lose or maintain weight while quitting, please do share your tips here.

last year i quit for 6 months and i lost 8 lbs in that time, key was tracking food and not adding new snacks and meals where cigarette breaks used to go in my day, sugar is what i had to watch out for. when you want a cigarette your body is hungry for nicotine so it feels like hunger in a way so you might eat, thats the biggest reason people gain weight.
  • bogo_baby
    bogo_baby Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Game on. I'm in :)

Smoking history:
    smoke per day - half a pack on work days... probably almost a whole pack on days off.
    started - I started at age 18 when I was in the army, off-and-on for about a year, pretty heavy for the past 7 years.
    quit before - I've tried to quit more times than I can count... I usually last 6 whole days... day 7 is a killer for me. Longest time was 3 months.
    live with other smokers - yes, and she's not willing to quit with me and is WAY more than willing to let me bum smokes.
    favorite cigarette - I like them in the car. I have a two hour commute each way and I am a big smoker while I drive... the greatest one is the first one after I leave the office.
    how will you deal with that time - listen to my audiobook. NOT listen to "smoking songs" for a while (there are specific songs that I tend to light up to)... take deep breaths... peeling oranges won't work as I drive in very heavy traffic.

The drive and coming home to a smoker is going to be the hardest part. I don't smoke during the workday... could use all the motivation and support I can get :)
  • gavini
    Options
    two hour commute, yikes! at least if you get in the car without any smokes you wont want to stop to get some right?

i am off to go camping in the morning, going to have my last cigarette when i walk the dog right before we leave then that is it for me, i have 8 left in the pack right now, i think that is going to run out before i get home tonight though so i might buy one last pack to get me through until morning
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I quit a week ago today, I'm technically cheating because I am using an electronic cigarette.

An e-cigarette is NOT cheating so long as you taper off. I have a friend that tried to quit time after time, and was finally able to do it using an e-cig. He planned out his tapering and bought lower and lower nicotine levels in the oil. Now he is still using the e-cig on occasion, especially around other smokers, but there is no nicotine in it. He has been nicotine free for three months now.
  • grantmethinness
    grantmethinness Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't smoke, but as the daughter of an avid smoker, I would like to say...

THANK YOU for taking this step to not only help yourself, but to help those around you.

<3
    Good luck!
  • Jenn09870
    Jenn09870 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I just finished my last pack. Have been contemplating this for a while, but reading these I realize there's really no point in putting it off any longer. I had one left and I'm not going to buy any more. I'm in- today is July 24th. I quit once before cold turkey, I've played with patches and electronic cigarettes over the past few years. Cold turkey is the only way it is gonna work for me.

smoke per day - between 1/2 and a whole pack per day
    started - between 14 and 16 years old?
    been smoking for - more than 20 years (OMG!)
    quit before - 1 time for almost a year, quit smoking, months later had to have back surgery, when I returned to work- everyone smoked. Can I bum one turned into buying my own in order to not be a bum... Can't ever even have just one. One turned me back into a smoker in Spring 2007.
    live with other smokers - yes, but he's talked about quitting too.
    favorite cigarette - all of them.
    Stong habit times though: drive to work, drive from work, after meals, car trips, before exercise, after exercise, after cleaning, taking breaks, as you can see... Pretty much anytime.
    how will you deal with that time - not sure yet. Im going to try the oranges, gum, and have read those tooth flossers help too.

I didn't realize until I had been smoking for a couple weeks after quitting the one time that I felt soooo much better and had soooo much more energy. I've been adding running in along with my walking. The smoking makes it so much harder. And it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to be trying so hard to be healthy and fit and to be continuing to do something that is proven to be so very bad for your health.

Good luck everyone!
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I cant necessarily join you...but I sure can support the fight. I quit cold turkey about 9 months ago. I had no choice at the time......they told me I had asthma that would surely kill me if I didnt. I walked away from it. Was it easy? In all honesty it wasnt bad for the first couple months. I had never craved a cig before, I just seemed to smoke for leisure. About 3 months in I noticed that the minute I got upset I wanted a cig. By upset I mean angry.........didnt matter the reason. Other than that....it didnt bother me

here's my history:

smoke per day - at least a pack a day...sometimes more(menthol)
    started - regularly when i was 11 (I had a mother who thought it was cool that her twins smoked so early...I was the "older" of the twins by 4 minutes)
    been smoking for - 100 years
    quit before - I cant even count the number of times but the longest was for 2 years til I got ticked at my husband (now an ex)
    live with other smokers - yes though the fiance' does not smoke in the house or MY car
    favorite cigarette - in the morning (2-3a.m.) with fresh hot hot hot coffee in private and peace (my fiance' make the absolute best coffee in the world and Im a coffee snob)
    how will you deal with that time - I just "do". I have no secret

eta: that whole asthma thing turned out not to be asthma but a mold infection in my lungs from a flooded apartment last year. Weight loss is helping my breathing sooo much already.
  • Jenn09870
    Options
    I cant necessarily join you...but I sure can support the fight. I quit cold turkey about 9 months ago
    been smoking for - 100 years
    how will you deal with that time - I just "do". I have no secret

9 months is awesome! Congratulations!
    I think it is more I'd like to join you. When I quit cold turkey before, I just remember I decided to put them down, and I did. My husband did also. When I started smoking them at work, then purchasing them he stayed a non smoker for a bit then started bumming from me. Amazing how helpful smokers are when sharing their habit, but I do think I started by telling him no.
    100 years, lol!
    I decided since my last post that I am going to try to keep my hands busy. Like with the oranges, but something not food related. I used to knit, nothing elaborate, mostly just scarves and that sort of thing. It is difficult to smoke and knit at the same time (not impossible when you are determined). I think if I start now I could have a ton of Christmas presents done by December- :laugh:
    I've not had time to do it in a long time, but I have a giant bag full of yarn already... Enough to get through a few months at least:smile:
    Going to be scrubbing down everything and detailing my car interior this weekend.
    Pretty optimistic at the moment... But it's only been a little while since my last . I'm sure I'll be climbing the walls any minute. Helps a little to have posted it though. Work is Tobacco Free, so not smoking there won't be a problem, just to and from is going to suck big time.
  • gavini
    Options
    6 days, 6 hours, 43 minutes and 21 seconds smoke free for me, how is everyone else doing?
  • niccolebarnes
    niccolebarnes Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    6 days, 6 hours, 43 minutes and 21 seconds smoke free for me, how is everyone else doing?

You are doing FANTASTIC!!!!! I just found this thread and it makes me really want to quit.
  • Filomenaaa
    Filomenaaa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    ‎17 weeks SMOKE FREE..... 16lb weight loss.....Weights/Cardio has made my body stronger and my heart is stronger. WIN WIN. I'm so glad I didn't listen to all those people telling me to quit smoking and in 6 months work on weight loss/exercise. I feel that would have been a very big mistake because there is no telling how much weight I would have gained on top of what I have to lose already. Everyone said I was taking on too much at once.. In my mind it was all ONE challenge... Getting Healthy! The diet and exercise HELPED me to have something to focus on OTHER THAN cigarettes.

This is so inspiring!!!
  • gavini
    Options
    how is everyone else doing?

for me...
    Time Smoke-Free: 8 days, 4 hours, 54 minutes and 13 seconds
    Cigarettes NOT smoked: 82
    Money Saved: $23.80

havent had much in the way of serious cravings, have had a couple moments where i thought about how great a smoke would be right now and a few envy moments when passing by people smoking.

the big downside right now is something i have come across the other 3 or 4 times i quit, at some point (this time it was yesterday so 7 days in, some sort of cold sore/pimple type thing (this time on my tongue) will start to appear at the same time that a sore throat settles in. i understand why this happens but that doesnt make it any less annoying.

does/has anyone else experience something like that?
  • Jenn09870
    Options
    I wish I was doing as well as you are. You are doing awesome!

Didn't make it very long and gave up temporarily.
    Going to put them down again this weekend, think i will continue
    to just put them down again and again until eventually they just stay down.

I think part of my picking them back up was that I didn't detail my car interior like I had
    planned to. I'm hoping I will be able to do that this Saturday morning. I'm thinking if I get
    the stench out of my car- it will give me a reason to not want to stink it up again. That is
    really my worst time- to and from work, or really anytime I am driving.

I know that soon I'll be able to put them down and not think about picking them back up-
    I just need a few days with no one around that makes me want to choke the snot out of them.

I had the exact same thing happen- a small sore bump on the tip of my tongue- wonder what
    causes that? I thought maybe I just ate or drank something too hot (but I don't remember doing it)?

Congratulations again!

Edited to add- found some neat tickers for Quitting Smoking- don't know if they can be posted on here but I am going to try.

http://www.tickerclub.com/tickers/smoking/

1343966400_15_1_USD_4_dark.png

Found this one at:
    http://sincemylastcigarette.com/index.php?month=8&day=3&year=2012&hour=4&minutes=0&amount=15&unit=1&currency=USD&cost=4&submit=1
  • socks456
    socks456 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I absolutely recommend Allan Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking. It is such a powerful method that includes a positive psychological approach to quitting. You are not being deprived of anything by quitting . . . rather you are gaining health, energy, confidence. I had tried every method out there, and this method is truly the most effective for me, and I would argue, many many others. Good Luck.
  • gavini
    Options
    I didn't detail my car interior like I had planned to. I'm hoping I will be able to do that this Saturday morning. I'm thinking if I get
    the stench out of my car- it will give me a reason to not want to stink it up again. That is
    really my worst time- to and from work, or really anytime I am driving.
    I had the exact same thing happen- a small sore bump on the tip of my tongue- wonder what
    causes that? I thought maybe I just ate or drank something too hot (but I don't remember doing it)?

Congratulations again!

Edited to add- found some neat tickers for Quitting Smoking- don't know if they can be posted on here but I am going to try.

http://www.tickerclub.com/tickers/smoking/

1343966400_15_1_USD_4_dark.png

Found this one at:
    http://sincemylastcigarette.com/index.php?month=8&day=3&year=2012&hour=4&minutes=0&amount=15&unit=1&currency=USD&cost=4&submit=1

first of all, how can i make that ticker the one that shows up on my page/posts/profile?

second and more importantly, i think that the little things like the car detailing can make a world of difference in your motivation. knowing that if you light up in the car that you will have wasted all the time and money you spent getting the car cleaned up will help you to keep the craving at bay and to break the habit/association between car time and smoking time so make sure you get that done this weekend, dont hope to get it done this weekend, GET it done :) You have lost 97lbs (thats awesome keep it up!) so you know about setting your mind to something, making goals and sticking to them, this is no different.

Time Smoke-Free: 9 days, 2 hours, 57 minutes and 53 seconds
    Cigarettes NOT smoked: 91
    Money Saved: $26.77
  • Filomenaaa
    Filomenaaa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Your doing so great!! Just wondering is you experiencing any weight gain??
  • hll2465
    hll2465 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am 24 hours in and having a hard time....I am a teacher and home for the summer and I really need some support cause I want to keep going!! OP you are doing awesome!! :)
  • gavini
    Options
    Your doing so great!! Just wondering is you experiencing any weight gain??
    no,
    when i quit for a few months last year i lost 7 lbs. no change in weight in the last 10 days.

wanting a cigarette is a hunger and it feels like food will solve it so you want to get a cookie or a snack, that is why it is important to stick to your food logging all the more when you quit. i quit for a couple weeks one time and replaces smoke breaks with cookie breaks and that yielded the type of results you might expect.