Running 10k for first time. Advice please

Options
I am running a 10k tomorrow and have never reached that distance before. I unusually run 5k in 25mins and have done 7.5k in 38mins. Should I aim to keep up my 5k pace and finish in 50mins? Or if I should reduce it, how much by? I have the Nike app on my phone to help with my pacing.

I don't carry water for a 5k, I just drink at the beginning and end. Carrying water bugs me so has anyone found a good system? Has anyone in the UK completed a race for life 10k? Just wondering if there were water stations. Are there likely to be water stations in an organised 10k event?

Thanks for looking and I appreciate any advice

Replies

• GaryRussell123456
    GaryRussell123456 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    25 mins is a very good 5K time. Whether you can keep it up for 10K depends on whether your 5K effort is all out. Judging by your 7.5K time I would say aim for around 55-58 minutes.

I don't know about water stations as I've never raced a 10K officially. IMHO you don't need water for this distance.
  • RoybieOfTheRovers
    RoybieOfTheRovers Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    25 mins is a very good 5K time. Whether you can keep it up for 10K depends on whether your 5K effort is all out. Judging by your 7.5K time I would say aim for around 55-58 minutes.

I don't know about water stations as I've never raced a 10K officially. IMHO you don't need water for this distance.

I agree with this. My 5K time is also just under 25mins. I can do 10K in 54-56mins. I personally can't keep my 5K pace all the way round although I do usually run my normal 5K pace for the first 5K then slow. I carry two small 175ml bottles in a bottle belt but I do not always drink it all until I finish.
  • 20diane
    20diane Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've done a couple of 10K for race for life. Water stations are at the 5 K point. Just take it steady. Everyone runs off fast at start, I tend to walk for first 5 mins then go into a gentle jog. Eventually you will catch up and take over those that sped off quickly. I'm not fast usually took me 80 mins. did mine at Kedleston, Derby but two steep hills which did not help. I too should be doing a 10k tomorrow at clumber park but unfortunately got a stomach bug and now not well enough to go. So dissapointed. But good luck anyway I am sure you will be proud of yourself no matter what time you do it in.
  • Annetinkerbell
    Annetinkerbell Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've done a couple of 10K for race for life. Water stations are at the 5 K point. Just take it steady. Everyone runs off fast at start, I tend to walk for first 5 mins then go into a gentle jog. Eventually you will catch up and take over those that sped off quickly. I'm not fast usually took me 80 mins. did mine at Kedleston, Derby but two steep hills which did not help. I too should be doing a 10k tomorrow at clumber park but unfortunately got a stomach bug and now not well enough to go. So dissapointed. But good luck anyway I am sure you will be proud of yourself no matter what time you do it in.

It's the clumber park one I'm doing. Sorry you can't make it, I hope you feel better soon. I was meant to be doing my first 10k in March but had to drop out due to recovering from carpel tunnel surgery. I am planning on doing one in September in Sheffield too. Hopefully we will both be fit enough to do that one.
  • rachypompa
    rachypompa Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    That's an awesome pace! I agree with the others aim for about 55mins, If you do as you do for your 5km, have a drink before you should be fine. I find having a drink part way quite off putting, and don't think you need it for 10km. Good luck, and enjoy!
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I would assume if it is an organized event, there will be water stations...

Try and start yourself a little slower than your normal 5k for the first mile or 2 and then pick up your speed. You will be surprised at how fast you will run it, there is nothing like a race atmosphere to get you going ( no pun intended):laugh:

My 5k speed is about the same as yours, I can do a 10k in about 52 mins...soaim for a finish time of between 51 and 53 mins...just go out and run, and have fun!