Advice on 2mi time?

Options
I just recently started running (about 3weeks ago.) I was a big runner in high school and forgot how much I love it! I began my first week running 1.5 miles and ever since then I run anywhere between 2.25 and 2.75 miles, and was wondering what a good time is for about 2miles? I consistently average about 20minutes for about 2miles (sometimes a little over.) I live in a climate where I have to run at 11 o'clock at night and it's still 95 degrees outside and I am on pavement running up and down a sidewalk so I wonder if that causes me to be slower then I possible could be? I run about 2-3x a week and wanted to know if I am on a good track for minutes per mile? What do you average for 2mi?

Replies

• AmandaDutra
    Options
    Bump! Anyone?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    a 10 minute mile is a pretty good pace!
  • Stripycat
    Stripycat Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Very respectable time! Well done.

Running is not all about speed. Make some of your runs about breathing, some about your stride and balance, and try for a slower, longer run every so often. Vary your speed in sections over the distances. If you want to improve your speed, all of this will help.

(I should take my own advice, too. I keep finding that I push for a race pace on most of my training runs instead of the above.)

Overall, just enjoy it and be very proud of what you're doing, because you're awesome!
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    10 minutes a mile is pretty good! It takes me about 15 but I just started running again. At my peak I could do a mile in just under 10 minutes.
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    10 minute mile is a good pace. I do between 9 and 10, depending on how far I am going or how I am feeling that day.
    I don't remember which show it was, but I heard on TV that the national average in the US is about 12 minutes.