Carb restriction?

Options
Im going to try to keep my diet strictly veggies, meat/fish/poultry, fruits, and minimal dairy. No more rice, crackers, breads, cereal, etc except for the occasional whole grains like natural oatmeal. I also vow not to eat junk like chocolate, candies, pastries or drink sweets besides the occasional water enhancement (ie MIO). If you look at my diary, I have strayed so many times. Most of the items on there are from giving in.

Now my question is:

How do you not give in???

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    You just make up your mind on what you are going to do and you stick with it.

It is called Commitment.

Commit and just do it.

And actually rice is better for you than that oatmeal, unless you know you are getting organic and gluten free oatmeal. Most normal grocery store oatmeals are contaminated with gluten.
  • icculus19
    icculus19 Posts: 39
    Options
    its tough. carb restriction is tough for the first week or so. you are on the right track by cutting out mostly starchy carbs like bread. FYI no complex carbs like crackers white bread etc etc WILL actually make you more hungry. veggies are greatly especially ones higher in dietary fiber, they make you feel fuller. you may also want to add more protien and dietary fats like yogert almond milk. google keto diet this is and very low carb diet (llike 5% of your cals are from carbs) this will give you a good starting point on what carbs to eat.

to really answer your question, set up your macros i.e. carbs, protien, fat. this will help you plan your meals because you will want to have X # of protien grams, X # of carb grams, and X # of fat grams. generally a 40/30/30 meal plan is a good place to start. this is 40% protien/30% carbs/30% fat. for example i run 1500 cal per day. so i need 600 cals from protien or 150 grams, 450 cals from carbs or 112 grams, and 450 cals from fat or 50 grams. 1 protien cal = 4 grams, 1 carb cal = 4 grams, and 1 fat cal = 9 grams. also the best way to not "give in" is to remove all the "bad" food from your house. if its not there you cant eat it.
  • guamSUPERgirl90
    Options
    @ PaleoPat4Lyf...

What about granola/nuts ? will that be a better substitute? any recommendations? Thanks...

@ icculus19...

thanks for the input on the macros! And it's definitely hard to remove the "bad" food since I'm the only one dieting in the home (I live with 4 kids and a boyfriend). The best I do is keep it out of plain view, right?
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    @ PaleoPat4Lyf...

What about granola/nuts ? will that be a better substitute? any recommendations? Thanks...

@ icculus19...

thanks for the input on the macros! And it's definitely hard to remove the "bad" food since I'm the only one dieting in the home (I live with 4 kids and a boyfriend). The best I do is keep it out of plain view, right?
    . No more rice, crackers, breads, cereal, etc except for the occasional whole grains like natural oatmeal. I-
    What is bad about these foods ?
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I buy one low carb grain product either bread or tortillas. I limit myself to one grain selection a day. I have reduced my carbs from 275g to bout 70g daily doing this. :smile:
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is good for you, same with natural, pure chocolate. You shouldn't eliminate these.
  • patriciagrade
    patriciagrade Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Im going to try to keep my diet strictly veggies, meat/fish/poultry, fruits, and minimal dairy. No more rice, crackers, breads, cereal, etc except for the occasional whole grains like natural oatmeal. I also vow not to eat junk like chocolate, candies, pastries or drink sweets besides the occasional water enhancement (ie MIO). If you look at my diary, I have strayed so many times. Most of the items on there are from giving in.

Now my question is:

How do you not give in???

Ok girl,

do you really think you'll be able to live a full life like this?

I'm not saying that it's ok for you to keep eating all those foods on a daily basis, but if you just cut them out entirely, you'll binge, you'll crave and you'll give in!

If you are to lead a healthy, savory life, you have to accept your body needs everything there is to eat! Period!

May it be chocolate, sugar, rice, pasta, pizza, soda, fruit, potatoes, veggies, meat, eggs, you choose it!

Why restriction when you can have control? Why deny yourself anything, when you can just enjoy one meal, every week, or every other day, exercising a lot, looking at your TDEE and being aware of your caloric needs for the day and not going over it?!
    Why?

You'll need the carbs! Believe me! I know! I almost got myself to a hospital bed for not taking this into consideration!
    And please, please, EAT! EAT!

If you exercise every day, or if you lift weights every other day, or if you run, or jog, or walk, please, please, please - FEED YOUR BODY!!!!!

No 700, 900, or 1200cals on your diary! That will starve you into a very nasty state!!!

I've been there! I upped my cals and workout 6 days a week and I'm loosing!!! My scale is moving, but most of all, my clothes are looser as hell!!! My muscles make me look leaner and elegant and I've got people that have known me for years, staring at my legs, my arms and my belly as if they've never seen me before!!!

So, no restrictions please! Go for whole foods, a bit of chocolate, a bit of sugar won't kill you! Trust me!
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Make a proper balance of macros and let 10-20% of it be filled with "junk" and lean towards eating the "junk" at the end of the day. All day tell yourself you don't need to eat x right now because you are eating y later.