calories, alcohol and diet. what do you do?

what do you do when it comes to alcohol and going out?
When you know youre going to be drinking a lot, do you cut down on calories from food or do you just make sure you drink a little?

Replies

• MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    I don't drink a lot. Seriously, drinking a lot can ruin all the progress you've made over the last week. Why would you do that to yourself? You really can have fun with one or maybe 2 glasses of wine as well.
  • aaronbloor
    aaronbloor Posts: 1 Member
    just drink low calorie drinks jesus, who can have fun on 2 glasses of wine?
  • FionaAnne22
    FionaAnne22 Posts: 178 Member
    I don't drink very often but when I do it tends to be a fair bit, usually I'll try and save some calories during the week to use for a night out, then try to stick to vodka, soda water and lime as its only around 60 calories a glass. Its the day after when I'm hungover that's usually more of a problem! :)
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    I drink a ton when I go out most times. I'm trying to cut it down for non weight related reasons, but I also don't eat as much during the weekends and very little when I'm hungover. During the week I know I have to be more serious with my dieting and working out if I'm to compensate for drinking.
  • mszebra
    mszebra Posts: 94
    I've found that I'm far more successful when I cut down on alcohol. I'll budget a glass or two of wine in for dinner once in a while.

That being said- if I know in advance that I'm going to have a night out, I try to eat as healthy as possible during the day and make sure that I drink at least one water for every drink I have.
  • lowe9930
    lowe9930 Posts: 1 Member
    If I know I'm going to drink a lot, I will eat super healthy all day and make sure to get in a really good workout. That way when I do drink it won't put me over my calories as much. And I try to choose lower calorie drinks (vodka and soda, etc.).
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    I try to drink things that are a little lower in calories (spirits + low calorie mixers) and try not to overdo it. It's ok to eat a little lighter that day, or the next, but just make sure you're not skimping on the nutrients you need. I personally would rather go over a little on calories than miss out on the nutrients my body needs, just to stay under the goal. Of course, you could just cut out/cut down the drink, but I don't go out drinking very much, so I'm happy to have that as part of my lifestyle occasionally. If you're going out a few times a week, and drinking a lot each you do, it's probably a good idea to think about cutting down.

Editing to add: yeah, extra exercise can help to compensate a little too.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    That's kind of a sad thing to say...
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    I drink a ton when I go out most times. I'm trying to cut it down for non weight related reasons, but I also don't eat as much during the weekends and very little when I'm hungover. During the week I know I have to be more serious with my dieting and working out if I'm to compensate for drinking.

^that
  • blair_bear
    blair_bear Posts: 165
    I don't limit my calories that day but I do limit how often I go out. I also do an exrta workout for 2-3 days after to mentally make myself feel less guilty. The Skinny Girl Sangria and White Cranberry Cosmo are excellent to bring over to a girlfriends house if you are "going out" by staying in.
  • cmmurphy20002003
    cmmurphy20002003 Posts: 7 Member
    I track EVERYTHING. When I know I am going to have a drink or two, I will make sure to do time on my elliptical or do some other exercise to burn it off prior to AND the next day. Also, if you alternate between alcoholic drinks and water or low cal non-alcohol drinks, you will be better able to hang on to your sense of reason and avoid the high fat, high cal "munchies"! THAT is where we all get in trouble! Have fun!
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    I've had to cut out alcohol almost completely - I have a distinct inability to have "a couple" it always turns into 4am plastered dancing!!

Having said that on the odd occasion (probably once a month) I do go out I just try to eat super healthy and exercise the day before and save up as many cals as I can, I still go over but not quite so much. I also stick to lower calories drinks (Gin and SL Tonic or Vodka diet coke) and I refuse to drink shots or anything with red bull now. Far too many calories in those!! (unless it's tequilla haha)

It hasnt stopped my weightloss, I went out Friday night and I've still lost a pound this week.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    If I know I'm going to drink a lot, I will eat super healthy all day and make sure to get in a really good workout. That way when I do drink it won't put me over my calories as much. And I try to choose lower calorie drinks (vodka and soda, etc.).

Yup.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member

I can have fun on 0 glasses of wine, but since I don't drink very often, I can get plenty tipsy on 2 glasses. :drinker:
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    If you change how you view alcohol, you will probably change how much you consume. It is empty calories, and you probably would skip foods like this. It also changes your metabolism, damages your liver, etc. So, it will mess with your weight loss in more ways than one. http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/how-alcohol-affects-metabolism.html. I have a glass of wine once in while, but I really don't drink often. Still, be sensible...just like with anything else!
  • alleycat88
    alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
    I have allowed myself one night out with friends/drinking a month. I eat a proper meal in advance because i don't want to get stupid wasted.

I stay away from beers if I can and drink white wine or vodka tonics.

And I am frustrated because i used to drink 3-4 times a week. I would think cutting out alcohol as much as I have i would have lost more weight but noooooooooooooooooo :p lol
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    I found I could be out enjoy events and parties dinner and still not drink sober I dance better converse better ( dont worry the next day what I said) safer driving home I wake up feeling good and ready to go out and jog. Last time I had a few large wines we were in Aruba out to dinner next morning jogging on the beach body was clammy mouth was cra//y tasting so I decided better without the alcohol have had FRE a non alcohol wine at times or non A beers.
  • ajfc1971
    ajfc1971 Posts: 258 Member
    Hi, Yes I save a few calories all week and then make sure I stock up on low cal, filling food so that when I get the munchies the next day I don't blow it all by having a load of cr@p.

It depends on what you drink normally. I usually drink vodka as a short but as I was use to measuring my own the single shot for 55 cals in the bars never tasted of much so to avoid using too many cals I went on to Martini ( also not as strong) but this is only 70 cals for a 50ml shot. Also as I wasn't use to the taste it was good.
    Cider ( strongbow) is 155 per 400ml
    Koperburg is 220 per 500ml
    Larger is about 160 per 400ml.
    Wine is 120 for a standard 120ml glass, most pubs give larger measures.
    If you can remember all your drinks then log them the next day. I have cut down a lot (which has surpised me) by buying my own drinks and alternating them with a slim line tonic or diet coke/ lemo. That way no one can pressure you to have drinks you dont' want.
    And most of all REMEMBER TO KEEP OUT OF THE TAKE AWAY AT THE END OF THE NIGHT LOL XXX but most of all HAVE FUN FUN FUN XX
  • mszebra
    mszebra Posts: 94
    It's not really the alcohol calories that I worry about- for me, it's the snacks and food I eat when I drink that's the issue!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    It's camping season and that means lots and lots of drinks and crappy for dieting, but oh so delicious food.

I try to be super strict during the week and then mindful on the weekends.

Vodka and club soda or light beer.