FitBit and Sleep - Made it better?

Options
I don't sleep real well and have been considering the Fit Bit. But I already know I wake up every 2 to 3 hours and don't sleep more than 6 hours and rarely reach a "deep sleep" .

Seen lots of people raving about the fit bit and sleep tracking. But knowing how you sleep is one thing. CHANGING your sleep is another.

Anybody successful in getting better sleep with the help of the Fit Bit?

I know, no coffee late. exercise early, bring yourself down etc. I can go to sleep, I just don't stay there!

Thanks

Replies

• MrsB724
    MrsB724 Posts: 247
    Options
    Try melatonin....it is naturally produced by the brain during sleep, this is also the chemical that keeps you asleep.

I would go to the local health food store and buy a slow release melatonin pill.

Take the pill for three nights and then take 4 or 5 nights off.

What this does is basically retrain your brain how to make its own melatonin. You do not want to take it for more than three nights in a row.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    All the Fit Bit does it tell you when you move around at night. I don't really see how it could help fix the problems though. You'd probably need to talk to your physician about a sleep study if you really want to find the root of the problem.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that it's made my sleep better, but it's made me more aware of how my sleep is affecting me. I now have the numbers. And can see trends etc. I no longer say "UGH! Why am I so tired today?" Now I have the answer.
  • ms_luciana
    ms_luciana Posts: 11
    Options
    Melatonin! At your local Walgreens or drug store, I would say under $10 a bottle if I remember right. Sweet dreams!
  • gismowest
    gismowest Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    One thing that has helped me with the Fitbit tracking is working out what triggers a poor night's sleep. I have been keeping a record of food, drink and stress levels and found that nights when I had a lot of dairy, or had been discussing something stressful in the evening were most likely to interrupt my sleep in the early hours. It might help you figure out links like that? Good luck!

Oh, actually, have you tried taking Melatonin? Some of my family members have major sleep issues and have been sleeping really soundly since taking melatonin of an evening. It may also be worth getting a sleep study done to make sure there aren't any other issues going on. My hubby wakes up regularly but he has mild sleep apnoea, so there could be something like that? Hope you find the answers!

Edited to say - it helps to refresh the page and read the posts above before answering... sounds like melatonin is helping lots of people!
  • rherington
    rherington Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Yeah I probably need the sleep study. I may try the melatonin.

Now I am undecided about buying the fit bit. I use an HRM for workouts and just play with my calories till I find the sweet spot to lose some lbs.
  • MrsB724
    MrsB724 Posts: 247
    Options
    If you are buying the fitbit just for the sleep tracking I would say it isn't worth it.

I have one and I love it but I don't have an HRM and I use it to track all of my activity for the day.