Decaf Coffee

Options
I don't often drink coffee because I tend to get jittery, but today someone gave me a couple packets (the travel kind) of decaf coffee, so I brewed one up, added some milk, and drank it down. About fifteen minutes later, my stomach felt like it was cramping, and I had the runs (well, not quite, but pretty close). Does coffee (or maybe just decaf?) sometimes have that effect for those who don't drink it often? I don't think it's the milk, because I drink a cup before bed and when I have cereal with no such symptoms. I'm asking because I have another packet, plus some leftover from this brewing sitting in the fridge, and I was thinking about drinking the fridge one tomorrow as iced coffee.

Replies

• tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    its the coffee =) The oil in the coffee even decaf is what cramps your stomach. I know people who get constipated when they dont drink thier coffee every morning. =)
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I can be assured of the need to hit the restroom within an hour of drinking coffee - it's definitely a laxative effecting drink for some folks.
  • lilla19
    Options
    did you drink it on an empty stomach? it could be the acidity in the coffee. i drink it everymorning but on an empty stomach i get the same pains you're describing.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Coffee is also a diuretic and even decaf still has some caffiene. If you don't drink it regularly, your body just reacted to not being used to it.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    did you drink it on an empty stomach? it could be the acidity in the coffee. i drink it everymorning but on an empty stomach i get the same pains you're describing.

You're right, coffee is extremely acidic and it can have several unpleasant affects on your GI system....It happens to me if I drink a ton of it. I never really drink it on an empty stomach, but I'm sure if there was no food in your system to buffer the acidity, you would have diarrhea as well. Oh the pains we go through to get our morning kick!
  • BunnyHop
    BunnyHop Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Quantities of milk can have that same effect on me, but usually more than the amount I'd put in coffee.
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I usually drink decaf green tea, but like I said, since someone gave the coffee to me. I guess tomorrow I'll try drinking the rest of the coffee in the fridge with breakfast. If it has the same effect, I'll stay away from coffee from now on, and use the second pack of coffee only if I get constipated :tongue:
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    So yesterday I tried drinking the leftover cup with peanut butter crackers, and all was well. Probably was the fact that I drank it on a kind of empty stomach (and I drank two cups of it) that did me in. I won't do that again. :tongue: