Protein filled pancakes.

Options
natpalit
natpalit Posts: 113 Member
Hey guys,

This is a recipe I found and made ages ago, but I recently remembered it, and remembered how much I loved it. It makes little american style pancakes, but uses cottage cheese to pack in loads of protein. But it has the added benefit of not really tasting like cottage cheese if you don't really like it, or just get plain sick of having it in the same form all the time.

Here's the recipe: (its by Nigella Lawson and taken from foodnetwork.com)

Ingredients
Serving suggestion:
2 cups strawberries, chopped into quarters
1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 to 1 teaspoon sugar
3 eggs, yolks and whites separated
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon best-quality vanilla extract
1 cup cottage cheese
1/3 cup all-purpose flour

Directions
Put the strawberries into a bowl and sprinkle with balsamic vinegar and sugar. Stir before covering with plastic wrap and leaving to steep while you make the cheesecakelets.

Mix the egg yolks with the sugar, beating well. Add the vanilla, cottage cheese, and flour. Then, in another bowl, whisk the whites until frothy with a hand whisk and fold into the cottage cheese mixture.

Heat a smooth griddle or nonstick skillet and dollop the batter onto it make cakelets of about 3 to 4 inches in diameter. Each cheesecakelet will take a minute or so to firm up underneath, then you should flip it and cook the other side, and remove to a warmed plate when ready.

Turn the strawberries in the ruby syrup they've made and squish some pieces with a fork at the same time. Serve with the hot cheesecakelets.

ENJOY!!!

Replies

• f1joey85
    f1joey85 Posts: 3
    Options
    Mm sounds nice and I love american pancakes!! Will attempt to try these at the weekend!! Thanks for sharing :smile:
  • ChrisJ2626
    ChrisJ2626 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sounds good, but complicated!! Here's one that I tried last night that was AMAZING, and very easy. I give credit to IFBB pro Flex Lewis and Gaspari Nutrition for the recipe:

1 cup Oats
    1 cup egg whites
    1 scoop of Xtreme Fitness Cinnamon Roll protein powder,
    of Myofusion Cinnamon Roll protein. (you can use vanilla if you
    use cinnamon powder instead to flavor)

Mix in a blender, and pour on a hot, olive oil sprayed skillet. If you don't want the full amount, use half the ingredients in a magic bullet or food processor. I added spray butter and sugar free syrup!
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing! yum!
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Bumo for later because this looks delicious!
  • PrinnyBomb
    PrinnyBomb Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Sounds good, but complicated!! Here's one that I tried last night that was AMAZING, and very easy. I give credit to IFBB pro Flex Lewis and Gaspari Nutrition for the recipe:

1 cup Oats
    1 cup egg whites

Mix in a blender, and pour on a hot, olive oil sprayed skillet. If you don't want the full amount, use half the ingredients in a magic bullet or food processor. I added spray butter and sugar free syrup!

I do like this idea better. Much easier :)
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

1 cup Oats
    1 cup egg whites

I'm so trying this!
  • mrsmerrithew
    mrsmerrithew Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, I made and posted a protein pancake recipe as my status this morning. Mine looks a little something like this:

3/4 C whole grain quick oats
    5 egg whites
    1/4 C fat free cottage cheese
    1/4 C plain greek yogurt**
    4 packets artificial sweetener (optional)

Blend all together to get a smooth pancake like consistancy, and then cook like regular pancakes..and VIOLA! For about 8 - 10 pancakes (the whole batch) it was 400 calories and 40g of protein!!!

**The recipe originally called for 1/2 C cottage cheese and NO greek yogurt. I added the sweetener since I decided to use greek yogurt and didn't want them coming out tart tasting.
  • ChrisJ2626
    ChrisJ2626 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use the Xtreme Fitness Cinnamon powder, but DEFINITELY buy the Gaspari Nutrition Myofusion powder instead. 10 grams more of protein, and 30 less calories. If you want them a tad thicker, sometimes I add another 1/4 cup oats.

As to the original poster, that recipe definitely sounds great, and I'll try it sometime! But I hate cooking and like things easy lol.
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    bump