How accurate is BMI measurement?

Options
snha
snha Posts: 388 Member
I am not sure I trust BMI assumptions. I am 6' 8.75" and my weight should be less than 164 pounds to be healthy (according to BMI calculators). I find that to be extreme. Whenever I went below 170, I definitely looked sickly. People around me of all shades would say that. Now I am trying to lose weight (currently 201 down 9) and maybe this question is too soon, but:

Can BMI measurement be true for everyone? Or, does it depend on the type of body one has? Is there a way to calculate the individual and personal BMI aside from the generic calculators?

Thanks--Sam

Replies

• ana137131
    ana137131 Posts: 25
    Options
    what BMI measurement did you look at? For 6'9 you should be from 175-230 to be in the 'healthy range'. Don't know where you read that...? Check this: http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/
  • snha
    Options
    oops. sorry, wishful thinking :). i am only 5' 0.75"
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    There is no "personal BMI". It's a standard calculation that's based only on height and weight. You'd be better off finding out your body fat percentage.
  • katedances
    Options
    The BMI isn't very accurate at all. All medical sites and professionals say that it takes in no account of your muscle mass versus body fat percentage and so it only takes in weight.

So heavily muscled people often come up on it as overweight.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    oops. sorry, wishful thinking :). i am only 5' 0.75"
    Are you sure this is right? 170 would not normally look sickly on someone this short...
  • snha
    Options
    I meant 170 is very good for me, that's the weight I felt best with. But below that, even 168 I do look sickly.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    Fine, but that still doesn't sound quite right. What is your height in cm?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    there are no assumptions in BMI

it is weight in kg divided by (height in metres) squared
  • snha
    Options
    I am 176 cm. I do have broad shoulders (definitely more than others who are the same height) and probably more muscle mass than average... although this one is a guess.
  • snha
    Options
    Thanks. I think you're right, how can I calculate my body fat? Is that something trainers or health practitioners do?
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    To me, BMI is useless, it doesn't factor in body composition or muscle. I'd go by body fat % instead. There's a few different ways you can measure it, use google.
  • icculus19
    icculus19 Posts: 39
    Options
    BMI SHOULD NOT be used. BMI does not take into account bone density or muscle mass. for example 2 people with the same stats ie 6'0 200lb one could have 10%body and the other 25% body fat both BMI would be the same. also look at the weight ranges for each catagory and than type in the stats for your favorite football player. chances are they are in the over weight catagory.

Regarding body fat % if you belong to a gym the trainers should have the calipers this is the most accurate way next to submergion (which is the best) for a best guesss body fat % google body fat calculator. you will need your height age neck and waist measurements and for the ladies i believe you will also need your hips and wrists.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    I am 176 cm. I do have broad shoulders (definitely more than others who are the same height) and probably more muscle mass than average... although this one is a guess.
    OK, for the record, that's 5'9".