Best Not Breaking The Bank Workout DVDs?

Options
So I just got a work from home job and I'd rather fork over $63 a month to go to the closet gym this early in the game, that money can be spent on much better things, like paying off some back bills and saving for a car/house/the wedding, ya see my point?
I'm looking for the best "not breaking the bank" workout DVDs you wonderful people have found. I'd like to tone and bulk up, tighten my entire body but mostly my arms, stomach and butt in that order and get a good mix of cardio and fun. I already walk and jog many times a week but I figure switching it up could not hurt and it does do things like rain and snow here so having a winter/bead weather plan now is a pretty snazzy idea. I'm open to all sorts of workouts and also would like an idea of good yoga and Pilates DVDs. I have a very small space to work out in so something that does not require a HUGE amount of bopping around is better.

ALSO I have a Wii, what does everybody think of WiiFit?

Replies

• Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Go to your local library first and browse their exercise DVDs. I was able to try most of the Jillian Michaels DVDs without having to pay for anything. Since you have a Wii, I would also suggest you go to Gamestop and buy used copies of their exercise games.
  • MissAnnieRosie
    Options
    Oh! That's a really good idea! I'm at the library all the time! I have been to GameStop and they have the games used, the issues is getting the balance board.
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I like Wii Fit, it's fun and gets you moving, but I don't think its worth the money new if you're on a tight budget. If you're able to find a second-hand one, it's worth it. We started with a knock-off balance board and it didn't work very well. My hubby found a used one super cheap through Amazon or ebay or something.

One video I like (because its quick, but I don't do it often enough) is Jackie Warner Power Circuit Training - 15 mins for each upper body, lower body, and core or you can do a 40 min workout for all three. It was maybe $10, but hopefully your library has it so you can test it out!
  • ALISHAWILLIAMSON
    ALISHAWILLIAMSON Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I like being able to try something before I buy it. This site is awesome because it gives you access to different types of workouts, so you know what you'll like and introduces you to some of the fitness personalities. I'm on a tight budget as well, but love my home workouts, so I usually skip the big series and go for individual DVDs. I like the idea of the library, I hadn't thought of that. I like 10 minute solutions and Leslie Sansone! I just started level 2 of JM's 30 day shred only because I've found it free on YouTube. Level one is included in the link below. Good luck finding some that suit you and your budget:)

http://www.squidoo.com/free-workout-videos-online
  • msperkey3
    msperkey3 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i was a huge beachbody fan until i found CATHE.. she is awesome, has many cardio and strength dvd's.. they are a blast. you can look them up at collage video.com or you tube has them. on her website, she has a deal of the day and every day it is something different that she has reduced the price. today i got STS total body workout, it was 21 bucks.. thats a total body workout!. I've also been able to find them on amazon. Many people like jillian michaels, i think those are found at walmart. I've been working out at home for over a year, quit the gym after finding Chalean extreme (beachbody). Chalene Johnson is the creator of that and she also has turbofire, turbojam.
    I think if you look them up on the sites above, you will get an idea of what they are like and make your own decision on what would work best for you. Good Luck!!
  • Fatty_Melt
    Fatty_Melt Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone's walking dvds are pretty awesome. She endorses multi-muscle walking and her routines are easy to follow with no need for extra equipment.

Most of her dvds are under $20, and some are even under $10 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Most-popular-Leslie-Sansone-DVDs/lm/RC2SRYDQ57MEJ
  • jmoneycgt
    jmoneycgt Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Bob Harper's DVDs are usually almost all $5
  • mandy_lynn
    mandy_lynn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I just bought 3 new Bob Harper DVDs and they are only $5. I love the kettlebell ones!
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I really really like Jillian Michaels Kickbox FastFix....it's quick and it keeps you moving. :)
  • BrendaJaneK
    Options
    bump
  • AubreySue81
    AubreySue81 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend any Jillian Michaels DVDs. I currently have 30 Day Shred and No More Trouble Zones. Both are very reasonably priced, and she really makes you work! Good luck! :happy:
  • lovep90x
    lovep90x Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The BeFit channel on youtube has a large variety of workouts and they are free :)
  • allisonjoan_42
    Options
    I have Jillian Micheal's 30 Day Shred, it's a really good mix of cardio and strength training and only cost me about $8 on amazon.com!
  • spunkfish
    spunkfish Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Do you have Redbox around you? You can often rent Wii games and such from redbox. I have found just dance and even zumba ones in our redbox.

Also check your local resale shops, good will and the like. Found a number of different workout videos there. True some were from the 80's but hey if I haven't done them yet and they are $2 whats the difference. I don't feel bad if after a week I just can't take it anymore. $2 for a week of workouts I can live with that. Then I just drop them off again and get a diffferent one.

Also do your friends have workout video's or DVD's you all can barrow off each other?
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I just started Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred and like it so far. All you need is a yoga mat and some small free weights. I'm limited on space too and I can do everything in the space my yoga mat takes up plus a little clearance for my arms. It was under $10 on Amazon.com and I bought the direct from Amazon one which came with a free streaming copy. I like that it's only 20min and seems to work just about everything though I'm planning to add some hamstring exercises and more stretching to it.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Check out your local Goodwill, you may be surprised. They sell dvd's for $3 and I've found some good workouts at the one by me.
  • jensan37
    jensan37 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Definitely any of the Jillian Michaels... under $10 at Amazon or Walmart. Good luck!
  • chargers8709
    chargers8709 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am also a big BeachBody fan. All Chalene Johnson DVDs are great! (Turbo Jam, Turbo Fire and
    Chalene Extreme). My son is doing Insanity and really is enjoying the results...although very intense
    cardio program. I would also recommend most of Jillian Michaels DVDs which are great also.
    Some are better than others though. Hope this helps!
  • Oneday150
    Oneday150 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Supreme 90 day workout is amazing... it will make you sweat and give you an awesome work out..
    I purchase it on Ebay for 13.00