I've plateaued.

Options
And I don't know how to fix it. I was doing fine and then I got pneumonia the first week of June. I lost around 6lbs within a weeks time and was fully expecting to gain some back(I lost 1lb the week after and then gained 2 back after) and have been stuck since then.
Right now my exercise routine consists of:
Mon/Wed/Fri-a little bit of cardio via treadmill or elliptical and some strength (I'm still new to strength, I just asked a trainer at my gym to help me Wednesday, I was doing some machines here and there with no routine really. I've only been a member of the gym 1 month so far)
Tues/Thurs-Turbo kick class
Sat-alternating Turbo kick/zumba classes every other week
Sun-rest

My diet is far from perfect, but I usually try to stick away from a lot of processed stuff. I have came a long way since February(when I started) and went from sitting on my butt all the time to working out a lot more.

Anyway, any tips would be greatly appreciated. I know the scale doesn't measure success, but it is very discouraging to see no change in over a month.

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    My diet is far from perfect,
    I was doing some machines here and there with no routine really

Answers your questions really, plus it's only been a month and it seems like you haven't really even got started yet.

Start a proper weightlifting routine, lift 3 times a week, do cardio a few times, sort your diet out.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/16909.html
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Calories eaten ? Exercise calories ? Height, weight, age ?

Gizza clue..............
  • JessicaPiche89
    JessicaPiche89 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've been losing since February. I was doing stuff at home from the beginning and just joined the gym. I just changed it to where my diary is open. The main thing I am new with is going to the gym. I was doing different DVD's and walking/running for the months before that.

Thank you for the link, Hendrix. I'll look it over and take advice and use it.

Yarwell-I am 5'2, started out at 251lbs and right now I am hanging around 222, 22 years old. I use a Polar FT4 HRM when I work out. Right now my MFP settings are at around 1600 calories a day.

I'm new to posting on the forums, sorry for lack of info.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Have you changed your calorie intake since you lost the initial weight?
  • djjazijenn
    djjazijenn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Congratulations on your weight loss so far!

I've plataued several times so I know how frustrating it can be. I've realized that about every three months of steady loss, I spend a month or two really struggling to lose more than a couple pounds total.

A couple things that have helped me: 1) Acknowledge the progress that I've made and try to feel good about that! 2) Write out a workout plan for the week and change up the cardio. Maybe some shorter intervals or maybe adding a longer cardio session or trying a new class. I don't know if you've taken measurements but this can be helpful too.

I've also found that when my weight loss is stalled and I'm frustrated, my eating can get a bit out of control. I've never kept a food diary until this week but I'm hoping it's helpful. I've plataued so many times in the last year and a half that I've just come to see it as a normal (though incredibly frustrating) part of the process! Good luck and keep us posted!

Keep up the good work.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Looking through your journal, it seems like there's a HUGE gap between your daily caloric goal and your daily caloric intake.
    Recommend you consider eating a little more to fuel your progress. See "eat more to weigh less", http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817
  • doug4018
    doug4018 Posts: 130
    Options
    I've recently had success changing my routine and doing a warm up cardio session, followed by strength training, then the main cardio session.
  • JessicaPiche89
    Options
    Have you changed your calorie intake since you lost the initial weight?

I go in the settings every now and then(I did right after the loss from being sick) and readjust for the different weight. I haven't manually changed anything except the % of carbs/fat/protein that I should shoot for.

I am still so new to this whole weight loss journey, so sometimes I am kind of clueless..but I am trying :)
  • JessicaPiche89
    Options
    Hi!

Congratulations on your weight loss so far!

I've plataued several times so I know how frustrating it can be. I've realized that about every three months of steady loss, I spend a month or two really struggling to lose more than a couple pounds total.

A couple things that have helped me: 1) Acknowledge the progress that I've made and try to feel good about that! 2) Write out a workout plan for the week and change up the cardio. Maybe some shorter intervals or maybe adding a longer cardio session or trying a new class. I don't know if you've taken measurements but this can be helpful too.

I've also found that when my weight loss is stalled and I'm frustrated, my eating can get a bit out of control. I've never kept a food diary until this week but I'm hoping it's helpful. I've plataued so many times in the last year and a half that I've just come to see it as a normal (though incredibly frustrating) part of the process! Good luck and keep us posted!

Keep up the good work.

Thank you so much :) Sometimes it is so hard to look at how far I have already came (Literal couch potato stuffing my face 24/7 to healthier eating and exercising) when things don't change as fast as I would like them to. I know I didn't get fat over night and I know it isn't going to go away over night.
    I forgot to mention that I did make a calendar for the month of July for my classes/gym time to kind of keep me accountable for actually going to the gym and taking classes. I have been thinking of taking a piyo or strength training class, but I keep going to turbo kick instead(I think I am addicted, hah) Maybe switching it up more will help.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I broke through my last plateau when I started eating 3 servings of veggies a day. I don't know if that was the only factor, but it seemed to be the catalyst. I had to be creative about veggies - some for lunch and snacks because I can't imaging eating 3 servings all at dinner time. Sugar snap peas, sweet bell peppers, baby carrots, and salad made good snacks and lunch items. I didn't consciously make other changes to my diet, but I'm sure that by eating more veggies I ate less of other stuff (like chips, crackers, etc)

Also make sure you are drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day. I've noticed a difference there. (An increase in strength training can sometimes cause temporary water retention in your muscles, drinking extra can help)

And sometimes, a small increase in calories for a week or two (maybe 100 more a day, or several hundred on one or two days only) and then dropping back to my regular calories also helps break the plateau.

Finally, sometimes a plateau just happens and you have to keep working through it. Don't give up, even if the scale isn't changing. You're still doing good for your body by exercising and working on eating right.
  • JessicaPiche89
    Options
    Looking through your journal, it seems like there's a HUGE gap between your daily caloric goal and your daily caloric intake.
    Recommend you consider eating a little more to fuel your progress. See "eat more to weigh less", http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817

So eating more is supposed to help? I've got the link up now and will read through it in a few minutes. Thank you for your input :)
  • JessicaPiche89
    Options
    I've recently had success changing my routine and doing a warm up cardio session, followed by strength training, then the main cardio session.

That was actually similar to what I was thinking of trying. My gym has a trainer that will help that I used Wednesday night and he mentioned something similar. Thanks!
  • JessicaPiche89
    Options
    I broke through my last plateau when I started eating 3 servings of veggies a day. I don't know if that was the only factor, but it seemed to be the catalyst. I had to be creative about veggies - some for lunch and snacks because I can't imaging eating 3 servings all at dinner time. Sugar snap peas, sweet bell peppers, baby carrots, and salad made good snacks and lunch items. I didn't consciously make other changes to my diet, but I'm sure that by eating more veggies I ate less of other stuff (like chips, crackers, etc)

Also make sure you are drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day. I've noticed a difference there. (An increase in strength training can sometimes cause temporary water retention in your muscles, drinking extra can help)

And sometimes, a small increase in calories for a week or two (maybe 100 more a day, or several hundred on one or two days only) and then dropping back to my regular calories also helps break the plateau.

Finally, sometimes a plateau just happens and you have to keep working through it. Don't give up, even if the scale isn't changing. You're still doing good for your body by exercising and working on eating right.

Thank you. I'll try adding more veggies and maybe some more peanut butter or almonds for more calories, too.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of is to really focus on your diet and what you're putting in your mouth. Eat lots of lean meats and fresh produce... there should be green in every meal if you can! Drink lots of water (I'm bad about this myself) and stay away from foods that offer you nothing (sweets, chips, etc.) Those foods just up your calorie count and bring nothing to the table. You want your food to work for you, to fuel you.

As for working out, I personally am not a fan of doing a bunch of different classes throughout the week. I feel it's better to focus on one or two things and really improve on them, such as one cardio and one strength training. You don't want to get a bunch of light cardio all the time... you want to really work your system and challenge yourself. Same with weights. When I first started at the gym in 2009, I floated around doing everything, trying to figure out what worked for me. Eventually, I found an awesome routine in Pilates and kickboxing... I focused on those two things and I saw huge improvements quickly, as opposed to the plateau I found when I was floating around.

These days, I run long distances and I lift weights at work and I really focus on those two things. I find if I try to add a third activity, I just slack on everything a little more to make room and I hate that. I also don't want to get overworked.

Really treat your food as though it works for you... if it has nothing to offer you but taste, put it back. Eat clean, work hard.
  • JessicaPiche89
    Options

Really treat your food as though it works for you... if it has nothing to offer you but taste, put it back. Eat clean, work hard.

I really like that last line. I try to stay away from 'bad' foods, but before I started this life journey food was my comfort. I still sometimes struggle with wanting the ice cream vs fish and salad, but it is getting easier. I try to keep my breakfast and lunch close to the same or switch between a few different meals so that I don't have much of a choice as to what I eat. Thank you for that reminder.

Turbo kick is kinda like a kickboxing class, no? A lot of punches, kicks and the only part that isn't really kick boxing would be the turbo round in the middle that is a HIIT type thing. I think I may try what someone above suggested on my mon/wed/fri gym time and a little beginning cardio, strength and run on the treadmill after. Or would that be too much along with TK tues/thurs?

Like I said, I am still new to all of this, so if the information I have is wrong I want it to be corrected so I can do my best :) I don't want to just lose weight, I want to be healthier for life.