Only 500 calories a day.

Options
So today on facebook - a friend messaged me and this is what it said.... lol

"When i was in miami i was doing this thing called medi weight loss there is one in billerica it cost like 280 to start and every week you go you hve to pay 70 for the shot but its a 500 calorie diet i lost 60lb in 4 months i just started working but as soon as i get the money im a start going again my friend was 275 and she is down to 145 it works. and then i lost my job but i wanted to keep on loosing weight and the big thing in miami is the Hcg diet there are drops and its the same 500 calories ill send you the the web site so you can check it out"

http://www.mediweightlossclinics.com/

http://www3.hcgultradiet.com/

I replied back by telling her that I am looking for more of a lifestyle change; eating healthy and exercising. And that my weight is coming off, just slower than Id like. And this seems like only a temporary fix.

I thought everyone would appreciate this information and go crazy in this thread.

Who the hell would pay that kind of money to only eat 500 calories a day? wtf.

Replies

• momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I guess it would even out with all the money you save on groceries?.....

I don't get it though. Makes no sense why someone would choose to eat less then a toddler.
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    skinnybitchbarbie27 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    It's unhealthy. Bottom line. On this plan they are losing weight because they are in starvation mode but eventually the body will even out and start to store food for future use. They will gain their weight back when they start eating normal again. I have seen it a lot of times especially with that HCG diet. Women at my gym will try anything for a quick fix instead of doing it the right way (healthy diet and exercise) and it turns around to bite them in the booty. It doesn't work but for short term. Period.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    the cost if for the HCG snake oil, this thread will get locked.

The 500 calorie VLCD part of it can be appropriate for obese or overweight people, it is probably nutritionally complete.
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's putting hormones similar to horse pregnancy hormones in your body so it won't go into starvation mode.
    They want you to eat 500 calories (2 small meals a day) just so you won't die.

It's strict and plays with the hormones and metabolism. My boss lost 30lbs in one month on it. She's kept it off because she did change her lifestyle. She eats healthy now and has kept it off. Totally not safe though!
    I don't like putting "crap" in my body.
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'd be sick and tired and would feel like crap if I ate 500 calories daily.
    I can't believe people still buy in that b*ll****. Of course she lost weight! But who can live on a 500 cal/day diet? No one! She'll gain everything back as soon as she starts eating 'normal' again.

To me that's just crazy. I see people doing 'diets' all the time, yep, they loose some weight. But it's only a matter of weeks/months before they gain it all back... and some more. And even IF the weight loss is permanent, I'd never want to jeopardize my health. Crazy...

Bottom line is that most people are too lazy to eat right and/or exercice. Weight loss isn't going to happen overnight! It requires effort and dedication.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    That sounds miserable. I'd rather eat and work out hard.
  • hopsanddreams
    Options
    The Hcg diet is ridiculous. you're allowed to eat apples, but deprive yourself of pretty much everything for 4 weeks, I think? You take HcG hormones... for those that don't know - when you pee on a stick to see if you're pregnant - the thing that makes 2 lines instead of 1 is the presence of HCG in your urine.

Yes, you'll lose weight fast. But IMHO, the way it's done is the "cheater's" way. It's not done through sweat equity, hard work, and discipline. It's not a lifestyle change, it's the latest fad way of dropping lbs fast. To me, it's the newest form of the whole ephedrine thing.

FYI - The FDA warns AGAINST the hcg diet.
    http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2011/12/06/9253651-fda-warns-against-hcg-hormone-diet-pill-fad?lite
    http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/BuyingUsingMedicineSafely/MedicationHealthFraud/ucm281834.htm
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    It's unhealthy. Bottom line. On this plan they are losing weight because they are in starvation mode but eventually the body will even out and start to store food for future use. They will gain their weight back when they start eating normal again. I have seen it a lot of times especially with that HCG diet. Women at my gym will try anything for a quick fix instead of doing it the right way (healthy diet and exercise) and it turns around to bite them in the booty. It doesn't work but for short term. Period.

agreed!! It drives me INSANE when people talk about HCG!!
  • friend2cptsolo
    friend2cptsolo Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hormone shots!!!!
    The message from your friend sounds more like a advertisement....
  • sunshinelady512
    sunshinelady512 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you loose weight too quickly, you are more likely to gain it back. I would rather lose it more slowly but actually keep it off!
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options

Who the hell would pay that kind of money to only eat 500 calories a day? wtf.

A desperate person. Or a lazy person. Or an impatient person. Or an ignorant person. Or all of the above? :frown:
  • elliott82
    elliott82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    sigh. i went to the medi weight loss clinic last year (my mom was paying for it...she wanted us to go together). it was low carb and low calories. i was allowed 750 calories and 25 carbs a day. it was HARD. and yes, i was probably in starvation mode. i lost 11 pounds in a few weeks, but i had NO energy. i was told after about a month, i could start working out. like it was going to take that long for my body to adjust to NOT eating. there was no way i could live eating like that every day.
  • Devona14
    Devona14 Posts: 171
    Options
    If I only ate 500 calories a day, I'd have to be commited to a mental institution. I would be so crazy and cranky it would make PMS look like nothing.
  • thetrapezeswinger
    Options
    I did somethng crazy like this. Each day I took in 1000 calories, under 30g of Fat, under 100 carb (usually 70-80), and over 100g of protein. I lost eighty pounds in about six months - and ending up gaining half the weight back over the following year and a half.

I stopped when my hair started to thin and my nails stopped growing... It's not healthy. Does it work? Sure, if you're looking for short-term success. The majority of people gain all of the weight back eventually. It's not about changing your habits or improving your fitness, it's just about seeing the scale go down.

I wish I could tell everyone that falls prey to this kind of stuff how much time and money I wasted.
  • cunfewzed1
    cunfewzed1 Posts: 80
    Options
    I can't stand all of the "lost weight fast" gimmicks out there. When will people learn that you just need to eat better and exercise? Yes, it's really that simple.
  • thetrapezeswinger
    Options
    I can't stand all of the "lost weight fast" gimmicks out there. When will people learn that you just need to eat better and exercise? Yes, it's really that simple.

Yep. I did that "program" three years ago. I had so many people giving me good advice that I refused to listen to; I just had to learn the hard way. I lost muscle mass in the process, and it has taken Biotin supplements and two years for my hair to get back to normal length and thickness. My hair had just entirely stopped growing!

I would rather take it slow and steady and build some muscle than have the weight drop off of me and look like a puddle of flab - and lose my health in the process.
  • yaymeforlife
    Options
    I admit I have tried this diet. And it really was a scam for me. Unless you are really obese, you don't really lose 1 lb a day like they advertise, it is more like max 2 lbs a week. Especially for women! I knew some women that were adhering to the 500 calorie day diet and only losing 8 lbs a month, which is ridiculous considering you can do that just by really ramping up your exercise and cutting back.

But I think sometimes people just have to try something just to SEE if it works. And if it works for them they are likely to continue using it until they've reached their goals. But almost everyone i've seen do this diet does gain 50 percent of the weight lost back.
  • amandajefferson
    Options
    500 calories is not enough for a day, ur body needs more claories than that. It is not healthy to only do 500 calories. I would not try this
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    My mom actually did this about 25 years ago. She lost 75 pounds, and gained back the 75 pounds and atleast 25 more.