CANNED FRUITS

Options
IS IT BAD TO EAT CANNED FRUITS AS LONG AS I WASH THEM OFF REALLY WELL! I KNOW THE JUICE IF FILLED UP WITH SUGER BUT I WOULD WASH THEM OFF GOOD

Replies

• naeemahs
    Options
    I think canned fruit is not good for you and full of preservatives. Why not eat fresh fruit or a smoothie with fruit added to it and protein whey for a snack?
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Read the label to see what is in it. The canning process is what preserves it, so there is no need for additional preservatives. Fresh is probably superior, but when it is 10 below outside, you aren't going out to the tree in the back yard to pick peaches,:laugh: so there is still a place for canned fruit. You can also buy frozen berries and fruit.

When it comes to veggies, I am partial to frozen because canned veggies always have more sodium than I care for.:grumble: Gotta read the label on the frozen stuff too, in order to avoid unpleasant surprises.
  • MadWorld
    MadWorld Posts: 200
    Options
    You can, with some canned fruits, buy the kind with no sugar added or the kind in their own juice. I would advise against buying the kind canned in syrup.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Fruit is naturally high in sugar itself. Get lite syrup if needed - I still rinse mine off. Things like pineapple in pineapple juice - that is what is in the fresh fruit as well (w/ some preservatives I am sure) so I don't rinse that (plus I like pineapple juice!). There are some fruits that are definitely cheaper in the can but you can get good fresh fruit as well. You can rinse off the syrup and not eat it, but it is naturally high in sugar most of the time still.
  • WHITTNEY0929
    Options
    Thank yall so much, i think im going to stay away from the canned fruits..does anyone have any good recipes for smoothes and how do you make them, in a blender? Thanks again everyone
  • MadWorld
    MadWorld Posts: 200
    Options
    I use a single serving of Oikos plain fat free yogurt, about 1/4 cup milk, fruit of your choice (usually I use a banana and about 4 strawberries), stevia to taste, ice and blend--

I like the way my smoothies taste, but some may not. You can tweak it however you like.

You can also use no sugar added vanilla ice cream in place of the yogurt if you don't like the above recipe.

Another thing I like to do (when I have a choc craving) is use one serv of the no sugar added vanilla ice cream, 1 tbsp cocoa, 1/4 cup milk, ice, and blend... then if I want it a little sweeter I add stevia. It's pretty decent-- not the exact same as a chocolate milkshake but, it works.
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    I buy canned peaches in water. Mmmm. Its so good and only 70 cals. A nice little snack.
  • jeff79
    Options
    There are some canned fruits that are just put into water, therefore healthy.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I like some of the frozen fruits. They work great in smoothies and you don't have to thaw them. I use them in place of ice cubes, keeps more flavor in the smoothie rather than getting it watered down with ice cubes. I've used mixed berries, blueberries, stawberries, and mango.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I saw this thing in the frozen section the other day by Yoplait. It has all of the ingredient for 2 smoothies in one bag. Pretty convenient if you ask me! It has chunks of everything and you just throw it in the blender. I suppose it's just as easy to get the individual things and put them together, but I figured I would mention it anyway :)