Greek food... Help me

Options
HELP... My boss is making me go to lunch again to Albasha Greek and Lebanese food. I know NOTHING about that kind of food. What can I order thats low fat and calories!!! HELP!!!!

Replies

• GettingDBack
    GettingDBack Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    A greek salad with chicken ask for dressing on the side.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken kebab with salad. Tzatziki is the best dip (calorie wise). There's also rice in vine leaves (can't remember what it's called) but from my favourite Greek restaurant in London - I don't think it's the worst cuisine calorie wise (if authentic). x
  • lkplibra
    lkplibra Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Try looking up the Daphne's food items (they are in the MFP library) and make choices based on that information. Grilled Steak or Chicken Kabobs would probably be a safe bet.
  • ShaunMc1968
    ShaunMc1968 Posts: 204
    Options
    fish, greek salad,
  • AllieBug25
    AllieBug25 Posts: 61
    Options
    I work at a Greek resturaunt. Pretty much just stick to water and a greek salad. If they have gyro, that's not that bad for you. It usually fills me up with a few bites. The pita at my job is only 200 calories, so if I get a gyro sandwhich (gyro, pita, tzki, lettuce, tomato, onion), that's probably about 400-500 cals. But I'm not familiar with Albasha.
  • taintedbutterfly18
    taintedbutterfly18 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am actually Greek. I recommend staying away from all Greek sweets for sure. :)
  • AllieBug25
    AllieBug25 Posts: 61
    Options
    Grilled chicken kebab with salad. Tzatziki is the best dip (calorie wise). There's also rice in vine leaves (can't remember what it's called) but from my favourite Greek restaurant in London - I don't think it's the worst cuisine calorie wise (if authentic). x

Rice in vine leaves= dolmas
  • Roseanna1017
    Roseanna1017 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Greek salad :) Yummy
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Tobouli salad - pretty much a parsley salad with either some wheat or couscous in it, lemony flavour. Just check your teeth after. Also, the rice in vine leaves (although sometimes they could have oil on them). Often, in greek restaurants they are called "dolmades" but can just be called grape or vine leaves too (delicious to dip in yogurt or tzatziki).
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Try looking up the Daphne's food items (they are in the MFP library) and make choices based on that information. Grilled Steak or Chicken Kabobs would probably be a safe bet.

THIS!
  • harleygaljojo
    harleygaljojo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I would look up Greek foods on the food diary, maybe Greek salad, some type of gyro meat or see if there is a vegetable dish like eggplant or even a chicken meal. Order with sauces on the side or even cheese on the side if possible.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Chicken souvlaki and salad with tzatziki rather than dressing :flowerforyou:
  • khopkins516
    khopkins516 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love Greek food and I order a Gyro without the pita, with the tzatziki on the side.

SO yummy.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options

Rice (and sometimes lamb) wrapped in grape leaves = Dolmades or Dolmas.

A mezze plate would be good if you can decide what to get. It's just a bunch of little finger foods. Dolmades, hummus, pepperoncinis, etc.
  • rooster70460
    rooster70460 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys are the best.... This ole southern girl is defintely out of her element on this one..LOL Wish me luck!!!
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options

THIS!

This ^^ sounds great. Plus, go ahead and have some hummus (not technically Greek, but lots of Greek places have hummus)
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Is it this one? http://www.albashabr.com/luchmenu.html

The kabobs, broiled fish and salads are likely fine. A lot depends on the portion sizes too, so if they're large, just eat a smaller portion and take the rest to go.

Avoid the Moussaka, and any deep fried items, of course, and the Spanakopita might have too many calories for the amount of food you get.
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Grilled meats and fish. A Greek place near me does amazing grilled fish kebabs with king prawns, swordfish and salmon. Lots of salad and tzaiki. I also might have some tabbouleh or rice. If it is a treat meal I love to have warm pitta and hummus/olives. If its a real treat, baklava for dessert!