Training for first Triathlon

Options
mstaser
mstaser Posts: 657 Member
I have my first triathlon coming up in mid September. I have done a five other races this year including 5k's, 10k and a couple mud runs. This is the first year I have ever done any kind of races and focused my life on fitness. So now I signed up for a small triathlon. 300 yard swim, 13 mile ride and a 5k. I am wondering how I should focus my training. Last night I tried a bike/run for the first time with a 9 mile bike with a immediate jump into the run. After the first awkward 100 yards with major leg cramps, I was able to get into the groove and run 3.5. Now, the swimming is tough. I plan on hitting a lake every weekend and practice swimming. That is really the only swimming practice I can fit in. Is that enough? I can't do 300 yards right now. I struggle at 100 yards. I know technique is the main issue and that is my goal to work on. What do you think I should be doing to prepare for the race? Should I focus as much as I can on swimming? Any suggestions??

Replies

• ironholgs
    ironholgs Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion, but I would work on my weaknesses. So if I was you, it sounds like you'll be able to get through the bike and run ok but at the moment you'd fail the swim. So concentrate on swimming.
    If you can only swim once a week, that will have to do. Just try and relax and focus on your form.
    If you can squeeze another session in and maybe get someone to look at your technique that would be ideal.

Also start to think about what you'll be wearing, start visualising transition, where you'll place things etc...

Good luck with all the training, have a great race and make sure to enjoy it, you'll only ever have one FIRST triathlon ;-)
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I did my first tri last year, and I want to do more (unfortunately this year was a bust, but there's always next year!)

I trained by getting myself to the point where I was capable of doing double the tri distance for each individual event, then I did "bricks" where I would do a swim and a bike, or bike and a run back to back (generally less than the tri distance). At the time I could easily swim 2000m, but I was still on C25K, so I made sure to maintain my swimming and build the running.

If I were you, I would focus on swimming - you clearly have no need to work on your running! Do you have access to a pool? You can look up videos on swim technique and spend your time in the pool really focusing on technique - slow and steady but targetting perfect technique - and then use the lake to see how far you can get. Lake swiming is a lot more challenging than pool swimming, ESPECIALLY when swimming in a big group! I find swim work outs where I go slow and just focus on technique to be a good cool down after a work out.
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Oh and a coworker who is active in our local tri club told me that (aside from those os us with serious weak spots) you should always focus on biking, since most of the race is done on the bike.
  • mstaser
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. I will be trying to focus more on swimming and started watching videos on techniques. I don't have any access to a pool that is big enough to actually swim. I could go lake swim more, but I would have to go by myself which I really don't want to do. I can try and get the family to go swimming some night during the week.

I plan on doing bike/runs twice a week and adding a interval training day once a week for now. In between I will be doing core training. Swimming is the big one.
  • nomorebellybabe
    Options
    Hey there! I am training for my first tri also! I joined a tri training group and was given a workout for each week plus we meet 3x a week. It really helps having a coach. For swimming, I suggest joining a Masters swim group if you can to get your form down - that shaves time off plus you'll enjoy swimming more. Good luck!
  • ironholgs
    ironholgs Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't risk open water swimming on your own, too risky if you get in any sort of trouble.

As already stated, the bike is the key to any triathlon, being efficient enough to ride and conserve energy enough to run hard off it is the goal.

Good luck with everything.
  • mstaser
    Options
    I don't exactly have a great bike for this also. It is a mountain bike 21 or 24 speed. I did put road tires on it which made a huge improvement. When I am riding it, 90% of the time I am using the top 5 gears. Of the 3 front gears, I have never used 1 or 2. As I ride more and more, I imagine those 5 gears at the top will go down to 3. I have been looking at hybrid bikes, but don't think I will get anything different unless I absolutely have to.