Too much Portien

Options
I am on a new diet and seem to have not problem meeting my daily Calorie goal of 1200cal as I eat healthy food l love. However, my protein is off the charts, as my suggested goal of 45 a day, though my actual intake is about 58 a day, while my carbs are always under by about 50.

This said, will this effect my weight loss and if so, how?

P.s. Sorry for the typo in the topic, I dont know how to change it, lol fingers are faster then my mind ;)

Replies

• MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I am on a new diet and seem to have not problem meeting my daily Calorie goal of 1200cal as I eat healthy food l love. However, my protein is off the charts, as my suggested goal of 45 a day, though my actual intake is about 58 a day, while my carbs are always under by about 50.

I'm guessing you mean 45grams of protein a day? That is really really low. Are you doing any resistance/strength training?
  • Rambo313
    Rambo313 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    the recommended protein that MFP gives you take that with a grain of salt and consider that the minimum of what your protein intake should be for a day.

Most days I am over the double amount of protein they set as a goal for me
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I ate more protein than that for breakfast. that is not off the charts. I'd say you're more than fine to eat that much, and I'd actually encourage around 100g/day for you if you can fit in nutritious fat and carbohydrate foods on the rest of your calories.
  • Camason04
    Camason04 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this one. My protein count is DOUBLE what the recommended 45g/day. I don't think this is a problem (especially if your doing a lot of weight training) But - I don't know for sure. Any tips/suggestions from knowledgeable nutrition savvy people would be appreciated!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I don't think 58g of protein a day is off the charts. Mayo Clinic recommends around 50/day for most. Those with more of a body building stance will recommend 1g per pound of lean body mass, so probably 100 or more a day. Some want 30-40% of their calories from protein, so that's a lot more than MFP's defaults, too.

Protein is great and keeps you full longer. I wouldn't worry about getting too much unless you have known kidney problems.
  • kitigonkukoo
    kitigonkukoo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    On a non-gym day, I take in about 100-110g of protein.

On a gym day (I kick my butt!), I take in around 190g of protein.
  • ibanez450
    ibanez450 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

P.s. Sorry for the typo in the topic, I dont know how to change it, lol fingers are faster then my mind ;)

I was about the same - my protein was higher than recommended by MFP's default settings and my carbs were much lower than MFP's default settings... my result was I actually lost weight faster than MFP said I would... and I lost more body fat. That's what actually made me do the research into reducing processed carbs in the diet - note that I'm NOT talking about a LOW CARB diet, just in eliminating processed carbs. I eat about 5-10X as many carbs as low carb diets say you should, but almost ALL of my carbs come from fruit and non-starchy vegetables.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Your fine. The MFP default setting for protean is low something like 15% of cals. I eat anywhere between 150 to 200 grams. BTW you can set the protean % to anything you want. I have it at 25%.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    MFP sets ratios super low & whacky. You should aim to eat .75 - 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass. I aim for a minimum of 100g daily of protein.
    If you click the home tab, you can change your ratios by going into goals and doing custom settings.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Up that protein... I am 5'4" and try to get a minimum of 100g a day. Protein is your building blocks! Body NEEDS them.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    A decent rule of thumb is 1 gram per pound of goal body weight.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    So far today, I'm at 104 grams of protein, and it's 11:30am - I've had breakfast and a snack, and I'll get more in at lunch. (6' male, 220 pounds)

I don't want to get preachy, but I would recommend increasing your protein intake to at least 35% of your calories. I also agree with the person above to mentioned elminating all junk carbs and getting all your carb calories from fruits and veggies.
  • deedeehatcher
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I am using the nutrisystem as a base diet plan and the protein is higher thanwhat is recommended by fitness pal while the carbs and fats are both lower. With exercise, I am falling consistently under the 1380 calorie alottment that has been given. In fact with the adjustments for activity I usually am falling under 1100 calories. I hate to eat when I don't feel hungry just to fill calorie goals.
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Reset you macros under "goals - custom". Most people need way more protein than MFP recommends. I have mine at 40 carbs, 30 fat, 30 protein, but there are a lot of variations that will work fine. Just make sure you get enough protein if you exercise. I am for 120g per day!