New to running - track or street??

Options
I'm considering trying to run. Wow, I can't even believe I typed that. But anyway, is it better to start on a track so it's easier on my joints and I can effortlessly keep tabs on my distance, or is it better to start on the street, since the scenery is more interesting and it won't become mind-numbingly dull immediately? (Gosh, THAT's a great attitude, eh?)

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I've been street running for 1 1/2 years and love it. I go to the gym sometimes when the weather's too depressing to face, but I recommend trying track and street and seeing which you like best.

6 months after I started running outside I started seeing others coming out for runs and now they're regulars and we wave to each other. Haha that sounds sad, but it's fun.
  • deucedaily
    deucedaily Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think a track is a good way to start. Especially starting out. I've done both and the things that I found the most is that running on a track is MUCH easier. I'm guessing it is due to the flatness. I also find it easier to run there with some music and don't feel as nervous of colliding with a biker or something else I can't here coming. I found at first I was able to run more there without becoming tired. I think that helps you get your running base down.

Also if you are starting out, I highly recommend the couch to 5k program. I put the app on my phone and found it to be a great way to progress without burning out.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I loathe and detest running on the treadmill, but love being outside, so maybe ... :-)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I think that the track would be fine for a while, but ultimately will get super boring. If you are looking for something that isn't as tough on your joints as the road, I would suggest finding a park with a nice running trail...
  • TrinaJ11
    TrinaJ11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm still fairly new to running but when I do get a chance to go out I go to the park and run on their trails. Great scenery and lots of other runners/walkers for motivation.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    track is boring, well as boring as running on a treadmill. going around and around and around, yeah bored now. But that being said it's a great way to introduce running. cause 1 it's flat, and 2 you know your distance and you can time yourself better.

That being said I love running outside. I do a combo of street and trail running, and I love trail running.
  • acv43
    acv43 Posts: 11
    Options
    I've always run off an on, but last year I kind of went crazy about it and ended up running 40+ miles per week. ( i don't do that anymore lol) I started on a treadmill, running 6 miles since I was in descent shape to begin with, an worked my way up to about 14 miles. I have always found that running outdoors is much harder than running indoors/track, but running outdoors is much more interesting and satisfying. Based off my personal experience( i'm sure there are those out there much more knowledgeable than I) It might be a good idea to start off on a tread mill just so you can find your natural pace, and learn how to stick with it. Recently I have started running again with my boyfriend who is built like a tank and not very much of a natural runner- I notice that he has a hard time keeping a steady pace so he tends to run faster and faster till he is exhausted and discouraged- spending some time on a treadmill with a set pace might help with that + easier on the joints.

make sure to get good running shoes!!! good luck :)
  • mjnov
    mjnov Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    in my opinion, running IS boring. its repetitive and time consuming. to me it doesnt matter where I run, as long as I have some great music to keep me going. A great running playlist will keep your mind distracted, and may even help balance your stride when you arent on a treadmill going at a constant pace.

this link has 100 great running song suggestions. good luck! http://whaleyoubemyfriend.wordpress.com/2012/01/04/100-awesome-running-songs/#comment-159
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    i run better on the tredmill then the neighborhood and i havent tried the track
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    If your new to running, they say its best to start on something soft. In the grass or on a trail in the woods is a great starter. If you dont have those options, if the track has a rubber surface that would be the next best thing. If the track is just paved, then it really dont matter. Folks say its boring, and well it kinda is. With the track you might do 8-10 laps and be done. At least your away from cars and bikes and bears oh my! It will take a few months for your legs to get used to the beating. So the softer the surface the nicer your legs will be to you. That is not always the case but it makes sence to me at least. If your new new, I would suggest trying the Couch to 5K program. Thats how I got started about 3 months ago. I started jogging when I was about 270 lbs. Im now currently 239. Check the groups section here for C25K.

Good luck!
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    The track is fine for starting out, but try the street at least once a week. As you get more fit and run longer the track is going to be more like the treadmill. 3 miles on the track is 12 laps without a single left turn or a change in scenery is just too boring, imagine when it becomes 5 or 6 miles.

Start with what works and work to what is enjoyable over time.
  • icculus19
    icculus19 Posts: 39
    Options
    i always preffer the street. however if you have a soft track (rubberized trrack) start on that then move to the street. also only use the tread mill if you absolutely have to. the treadmill is the worst for your joints and its is not a natural pace
  • salgalruns
    salgalruns Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I love to run, and without a doubt, prefer outside - track free. One of the main reasons for me was in how I started. I run out and then back to my house. Thus, once I get halfway, I cannot quit...must head back. With a track or a treadmill, it's too easy to stop.

That being said, it is the hardest on my joints as I am running on asphalt or concrete. I try to switch it up and go on a treadmill at least once or twice a week, but it's so boring that way!!!!
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone!! This is all great information. I'm going to try the track on Monday, after I download C25K and some great music. Not setting my sights too high, but I WILL give it a shot! :-)
  • JD2000
    JD2000 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am on week 4 of c25k and have been running on the track. Since I am new to running I like it because it's easier for me mentally to start and stop with the intervals on a track. I have had to learn posture and breathing so running on a track makes it easier for me to focus on that while just going in a circle. I do think it will get boring once I am running longer distances. That will be when I try the bike path. Good luck!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    The track is fine for starting out, but try the street at least once a week. As you get more fit and run longer the track is going to be more like the treadmill. 3 miles on the track is 12 laps without a single left turn or a change in scenery is just too boring, imagine when it becomes 5 or 6 miles.

Start with what works and work to what is enjoyable over time.

^Excellent advice. I started on the treadmill and then transitioned to the track after a couple of months. Now, I run on the street. The track is good for learning how to pace yourself and to keep tabs on your distance. But, nothing beats street running. The scenery changes constantly, and it encourages you to push yourself (if you're a mile from home, you don't have a choice but to run back....on a track or treadmill you can just quit whenever you want to).
    I recommend the Nike+ smart phone app for street running - it shows your distance, can track the mileage you put on your shoes (shoes are important!! get a proper fitting! only use a pair for 300-500 miles!), plays your music, and posts to Facebook if you want it to.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Depends. If you're a numbers junkie, a track is a good place, because like you said, you'll have instant feedback for time and distance.

If you like pretty scenery, then head onto the street.

I myself don't like tracks, because I don't like feeling like a hamster, but that's just me.

One thing you can do to keep track of distance easily is go to a website like Mapmyrun, and figure out your run before you go, so you can know exactly how far you're running beforehand.
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone!! This is all great information. I'm going to try the track on Monday, after I download C25K and some great music. Not setting my sights too high, but I WILL give it a shot! :-)
    Good for you! I've considered it myself although I'm not sure when I'll find the time and I'm concerned about my joints taking it. Our walks are fast paced and usually with weights. I'm not sure my husband's joints could take running but he'll walk with me.
  • stumpycow
    stumpycow Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I do both but prefer the street only because I find it too easy to quit early on the track. On the other hand, if I run away from my house, then I have to run back lol. And I use MapMyRun to plan the run before I go and wear a stop watch to keep track of my times.

Edited for not being a tech junkie: I don't own a phone, an IPod, or anything else to use for running :blushing:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Track is better than treadmill, but it is soooooo dull.

My top choice is to mix it up... I do a lap or two around the park by my house, then hit a trail, then go on a road until I get to another trail, if I'm feeling really spunky I'll take a few more roads to get to a very hilly trail (a sane person would hike it, not run it), loop around a small cemetery, and head back home.

It's really nice using the runkeeper app and having it track my miles & everything for me. Prior, I was using their website to plot out a map of the run, and had to try to remember exactly where I went!