Cross Fit anyone??

Options
hi everyone!!! Anyone else out there doing Cross Fit as part of their healthy lifestyle?? I would like to be able to add/count my calories burned during our WOD's (workout of the day) but there is nothing to reference in the glossary and I'm not sure what would be best to use? P90X? Insanity? I've never done either but I think they would probably be the closest in calorie burns. Suggestions??
Also - I love to hear about other peoples CF experiences (like/loves/dislikes/what was really tough/progress) So please feel free to chat anytime!!

Replies

• trutlet
    trutlet Posts: 11
    Options
    I count my WOD's under cardio- circuit training. I have a couple other friends that do the same. I don't eat back my exercise calories anyway so I feel like that is probably a pretty good estimation.

I have been SO sore this week. We have had really tough WOD's! Monday we did Fran, Isabelle and Elizabeth all in the same WOD! Yikes! Looking forward to a visit with the chiropractor today. :)
  • laurenlind
    laurenlind Posts: 52
    Options
    Hi! I started Crossfit about 3-4 months ago and also am unsure of how to count them. I have just been keeping track of what I do in my exercise notes and then allow myself a little leeway with calorie input those days.
    I have really been enjoying my journey with crossfit so far. I am NOT a natural athlete at all, and I was terrified when I started. I committed to it because I knew that with the high cost, small gym size, it would keep me accountable to keep going. Since starting, I have enjoyed the variety in the work outs. I don't think I realized how bored I was getting with doing the same old thing at the Y all the time. Now I never know what WOD I am going to walk into, and I like that.
    I was already losing weight before I started Crossfit, and I also do other forms of exercise, so I am not sure how much weightloss I can attribute to it, but I definitely see a change in body composition.
    Anyway, I actually posted just before I saw this thread, looking for fellow Crossfitters to friend on here for support and chatting. Let me know if you are interested in MFP-friends! :smile:
  • lkoncar
    lkoncar Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi there! Another CrossFit convert here! My husband and I joined a CrossFit gym 7 months ago and we're addicted. Can't overemphasize how wonderful it is and how much I love it! I too am not a natural athlete - I've been amazed and what I'm able to accomplish now! To top it off, I'll be 44 next month - I tell everyone that asks me about CrossFit, if I can do it, anyone can do it :)

One of the very best things about CrossFit (at least for us) has been the amazing CrossFit community. Everyone is so nice, so encouraging and so supportive. It feels great to walk in after taking a day off and have people tell you they missed seeing you!

I end up just estimating the calories based on the type of WOD and how I feel when we're done. Like a few others have posted here, I don't eat back the calories I burn, so I figure it doesn't have to be exact.
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I started Crossfit about 4 months ago, and I'm hooked! Unfortunately, I have an injured knee and I've had to take a few weeks off. One of my favorite things that I've learned at Crossfit is how to really push myself! I used to just go through the motions at the gym and wasn't really pushing myself. Crossfit has made me not be afraid to push myself, sweat, and try things I never thought I could do. I've made some excellent strides physically, but the best gains I've made are mental.
  • Camason04
    Camason04 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great posts ladies!!! Feel free to add me as a friend so we can continue our CF chats!! I looked on the LiveStrong site and they are quoting Cross Fit as a 496Cal/hour burn. I think it's pretty safe to say that is accurate, and will probably just use that as a ballpark (maybe less if the WOD is not as intense)