Hello from Argentina

Miss_Santa
Miss_Santa Posts: 3
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
Hi everyone!

Let me start by saying that I think this is a wonderful site. I spent a lot of time yesterday just reading the forums and found some great advice. Everyone here seems very nice so I hope to make some friends!

The food journal is very useful! I started the change in my diet 5 days ago and I thought I was doing very well but imagine my surprise when I realized that I was eating way too many calories. I couldn´t believe it I eat practically every 2 hours! Starting today I´m going to try to change that. Do you have any suggestions? Especially for breakfast.

Oh! Before I forget I should tell you a little about myself. I’m 21 and I’ve been overweight my whole life. My whole family is obese and we all have poor health. My goal weight is 47 kg but I don’t have a deadline. Should I have one? If so when do you think it should be?

My doctor has forbidden me from dieting because I have porfira so instead of doing that I decided to just eat healthier (lots of fruits and veggies). I’m also trying to exercise but most workout DVDs are way too hard for me (even the beginner yoga) because I’m so uncoordinated.

Wow that´s one long introduction… sorry!

Replies

• lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    hola8.gif
    BIENVENIDO

Just out of curiosity, I looked up "porfira" but couldn't find anything on it. What is it?

I try to eat my largest meal for breakfast, then medium for lunch, and smaller for dinner, with two snacks. Drink LOTS of water.

We are glad to have you :)
  • Here is the article from Wikipedia: http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porfiria

But to make it simpler I’ll just repeat what my doctor said to me when I had my tests done: drink alcohol and you die; take drugs or medication that are not on your permitted list and you die; get too stressed and you die; diet and you die.
    He was such a cheerful guy…

Thanks for the advice!
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Now I understand. Porphyria is the English word for the disorder...and it sounds nasty. You poor thing. Needless to say, living a healthy lifestyle will benefit you even without the disorder. But using this site will help a great deal in a healthy lifestyle.
  • Essence320
    Essence320 Posts: 154 Member
    Hola y bienvenida!

You've found a great group of supporters here. Sounds like you've already started on the right path by changing your eating habits. Walk a little everyday and you'll see changes in no time. I wish you great success! :flowerforyou:
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Welcome!

I have a somewhat similar condition, CFICS or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Eat the wrong food, I'm sick for a week. Take the wrong meds, I'm in the hospital for a month. A healthy and active lifestyle is so important when your body doesn't function as "well" as everyone else's.

I have the same problem with exercise tapes--they're somehow intense and boring at the same time. I prefer to engage my mind when I work out: I have two dogs, so I walk a lot with them and try to get my friends to walk with me and talk. I also take tango lessons two or three times a week, which is a surprisingly good workout. You should find activities that interest you--then it won't feel like work!

My advice is not to focus on weight loss right away, but on making your life more healthy and low stress. As you go, you'll notice your clothes starting to fit better, your mood improving, you'll have more energy, and you'll be able to do more with yourself and your day. Lots of people do mini-goals and those can be very effective motivators. Try out different ideas and see what works best for you!

Good luck! :happy:
  • Thank you for the good advice sdirks. I’m going to try my best!
This discussion has been closed.