Scales???

Options
what types of scales do you all use? how do you know if they are right?

Replies

• now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    My scale is a Health-O-Meter brand. It measures weight by 0.2lb and also has an option for body fat % and water %.

I test my scale once in a while to ensure it's accurate. I do this by taking a 10lb weight and placing it on the scale. I don't rely on the body fat % and water % as being 100% accurate and just use it as a guide.
  • susi819
    susi819 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have the same scale. Thanks for the tip on how to check accuracy! Hadn't thought of that!
  • TallyGal97
    TallyGal97 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Tanita scale. Test it using a hand weight. Sometimes all you need is a new battery if it is inaccurate.
  • ashleypj1908
    Options
    Im not sure what type of scale I have I bought it from target. ( i guess I had better look lol) My scale keeps getting moved around and that is what I am unsure of the accuracy. does any one know if movement affects the scale?
  • ashleypj1908
    Options
    how much was the Health-o-meter scale?
  • now_or_never12
    Options
    Movement can affect the scale as well as it being hit and such. The floor it's on will also affect it's accuracy (mine sucks on carpet and most do along with floor that are not level).

My Health-O-Meter scale was on sale for $20 at Canadian Tire a while ago.
  • now_or_never12
    Options
    Grab a handweight or something you know the weight of (unopened large bag of rice or potatoes, etc) and put it on the scale to test the accuracy.
  • moriaht
    moriaht Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I just bought one from Superstore for $25 and it's accurate! I also got an expensive one delivered from Omron and it was over 100 lbs off, so don't always trust price for accuracy.
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers, I had it shipped to me in Iraq from drugstore.com Matches the one at the gym.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I have a cheap Walmart brand one that was like $15. I put a dumbbell on it to check for accuracy, and it's 2 lbs off, so when I weigh, I have to add 2 lbs to my weight. That's how you know it's accurate, lol.
  • couldbeme
    couldbeme Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    hi i use my wii fit board have a body fat one in bathroom as well that not accurate at all x:laugh:
  • TallyGal97
    TallyGal97 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Im not sure what type of scale I have I bought it from target. ( i guess I had better look lol) My scale keeps getting moved around and that is what I am unsure of the accuracy. does any one know if movement affects the scale?

Yes, it does. You need to leave it one spot and definitely not on the carpet.
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have a cheap Walmart brand one that was like $15. I put a dumbbell on it to check for accuracy, and it's 2 lbs off, so when I weigh, I have to add 2 lbs to my weight. That's how you know it's accurate, lol.

Depending on your scale the inaccuracy may vary depending on the resistance. Could be 2lbs throughout, could be a set % of resistance, or could be non-linear. I'm also in the scale market as I believe our old one is getting a bit wonky.
  • ashleypj1908
    Options
    I weight myself two days ago... and I weighed 265 I did it three times and still came up with 265. I just pulled out another scale (expensive one ) and I stepped on it to try it out,,,270.2! UGH!
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I weight myself two days ago... and I weighed 265 I did it three times and still came up with 265. I just pulled out another scale (expensive one ) and I stepped on it to try it out,,,270.2! UGH!

Whoa - it's not like you just packed on five pounds in 48 hours. You changed the scale! Clearly pounds on one does not equal pounds on the other. If you buy a new scale you are basically re-baselining that aspect of your progress tracking. To track progress you need a constant - you should be the variable. It gets a bit tricky when you change scales (a variable) or your scale is wonky (a variable). Best of luck!
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
  • now_or_never12
    Options

That could be a normal fluctuation. Only use one scale... if you replace the scale and get a new one you will most likely get a different weight as well.
  • stephinpitts
    Options
    Grab a handweight or something you know the weight of (unopened large bag of rice or potatoes, etc) and put it on the scale to test the accuracy.

That's a great idea.

I have a "My Weigh Elite", which despite the name was pretty cheap off of Amazon. I verified that it was accurate by comparing its weight to scales used at the doctor's office.

That said, my scale does report an incorrect weight the first time that it's activated each day. I have to let it turn itself back off, and then step on it a second time to get the correct weight. Odd, but it works fine after it gets the cobwebs out of its memory.