almond milk help!

Options
I was just making my smoothie and poured the almond milk into the blender and the last bit of it was like a congealed mass. Ew! It's not expired but does this mean it's bad anyways? If it's bad I just ruined my smoothie (last ingredient to put in), if this is normal for almond milk, I'll make it anyways.

Quick replies please! Thx.

Replies

• HC82
    HC82 Posts: 22
    Options
    Oh ya, it doesn't smell bad at all. It looked disgusting though! But scooping out the blob is possible to save the smoothie...I won't risk it if almond milk does rot. I'm finding conflicting answers on google.
  • fitzonegirl
    fitzonegirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am also buying almond milk but have not had that problem...but my carton froze and i let it thaw a little and it separated...and tasted terrible..
  • HC82
    Options
    I just read that if spoiled almond milk can cause food poisoning. I don't think I want to risk trying it for taste. Darn my smoothie is ruined :(
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Iknwo this is awful but I say tasted it... if it takes ok.. go for it.. from what I know it should rot like cow milk??
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I just read that if spoiled almond milk can cause food poisoning. I don't think I want to risk trying it for taste. Darn my smoothie is ruined :(
    Oh! than never mind lol I wouldnt try.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Better safe than sorry. :sick:
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Better safe than sorry. :sick:

Ditto.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    You're also supposed to shake well before pouring.... Did u do that? Also, yes it has a LNG expirey date when unopened, but once opened and refridgerated I believe it's a week or two u should use it up in... How long has it been open?
  • dfammama
    dfammama Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine. My kids will still eat it with their cereal and they don't seem to get sick. It grosses me out so if I see it I usually dump it. Hope that helps.
  • leelavic
    leelavic Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to really shake almond milk before use! Shake it like a polaroid picture. Every time. :) I would throw it out, in case though. If you have not already....
  • jillleanne
    jillleanne Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Sometimes at the bottom of my almond milk containers I find its kind of congealed too. I think its just that some parts of the almond milk have fallen out of solution. I don't think I'd drink it (the look of it grosses me out), but I don't think it would make you sick either.
  • HC82
    Options
    Thanks for the replies :)

I'm taking the loss.....still figuring out how to dispose of the blender full of stuff without making a huge mess lol!
  • cmbneeley
    cmbneeley Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i know the carton says to shake before pouring. and "use within 7 days", but mine has lasted up to 2 weeks before. if it's not past the exp. date, hasn't been open for more that 10 days, has been in the fridge, and you just forgot to shake, and it smells fine... i'd taste it. and then if it tastes fine, use it! if not, throw it out. :-(
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I'm taking the loss.....still figuring out how to dispose of the blender full of stuff without making a huge mess lol!

Toilet.
  • HC82
    Options
    I did shake it and it still came out with a blob in the middle. Ew lol!

The expiry date is tomorrow but I bet its been open in the fridge for 2-3 weeks so it's probably bad :(
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options

Toilet.

Yup!
  • HC82
    Options

Toilet.

Brilliant. Why didn't I think of this? Haha, thanks!
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    My last carton was like that. Was not outdated and didnt' smell bad. I just kept shaking it up and drank it anyway. I read that it does that sometimes. Didn't make me sick : )
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Yah I've never had that happen. I shake well before using and toss out after approx 10 days (I need to get into a habit of writing the 'open' date on them, so I can remember)

If you're able to scoop out the bulk of it, I probably would just add fresh milk and make my smoothie. But otherwise, I'd probably start from scratch :-(
    Good luck
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I did shake it and it still came out with a blob in the middle. Ew lol!

The expiry date is tomorrow but I bet its been open in the fridge for 2-3 weeks so it's probably bad :(

Oh yeah, thats too long to be opened. Good idea to toss!