heaviest/biggest meal of the day

Options
what meal do you make your heaviest/biggest?

normally dinner is my "big" meal of the day. today i decided to have my leftover dinner from last night (a serving of potato and onion pierogis in a homemade marinara sauce w/greens (it probably sounds weird but it was good) and now i'm ready for a nap. on top of that i won't get my exercise in until tonight when i walk my dogs (wednesday is my off day from the gym).

i think i will stick with dinner being my biggest meal of the day seeing that falling asleep at my desk is frowned upon at the office. LOL

Replies

• Mizzhill
    Mizzhill Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I usually make my lunch the biggest meal of the day. It gives me enough steam to make it all afternoon then for dinner I usually just have something small.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I try to keep them all pretty close to the same
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I eat 6 times a day, for the most part meals are about even. (About 200-300cal meals and 100-200cal snacks).
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    My breakfast is usually the biggest. keeps me from getting too hungry, and I have less calories for the day so I am more likely to spend them wisely.

Either that, or lunch. However if its a really good dinner or cheat meal it will be dinner too.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I eat most of my calories in the evening and very few until the afternoon.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I try to make my lunch the biggest meal, but dinner usually ends up being about equal. I've been feeling a lot better since watching what I eat in the evening. Going to bed full made me wake up bloated with an upset stomach. Blegh!!!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Lunch and post-workout are my biggest - but usually its my post-workout. Now that I'm gaining, each carry about 700 calories and at least 25% of my total carbs (sometimes my post-workout boasts 50% of my total carbs).
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I eat 6 times a day, for the most part meals are about even. (About 200-300cal meals and 100-200cal snacks).

This
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    dinner... it hasn't effected my weight loss so i will stick with it x
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

I tried this over and over and could never do it

But I recently found what works great for me, eat all my food in the morning
    Most of my food is between 8am-noon. Works great for me, have not seen many others doing it this way though
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I eat once per day. That is all.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Breakfast... But only by 50-150 calories. I have 5 meals/day, all evenly spread out with supper being the smallest.

A big supper will just be stored, because shortly after you're going to bed, and you won't burn it all off.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Usually, dinner. I like to eat big (could be a bunch of small snacks in a short amount of time instead of a meal) or not at all, and prefer if I have a whole bunch of calories left at the end of the day to eat as I see fit.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

A big supper will just be stored, because shortly after you're going to bed, and you won't burn it all off.

First of all you don't magically stop burning calories when you sleep.

But more importantly, this is irrelevant when you look at what happens over the course of larger periods of time. All that matters is that fat oxidation exceeds fat storage. Even if you eat ALL of your calories before bed EVERY NIGHT, you will just be oxidizing fat during the day.

http://www.leangains.com/2011/06/is-late-night-eating-better-for-fat.html

EDIT: This is also a great article that, while not addressing night time eating specifically, it addresses the idea that 24 hour fat balance is what matters, and this is correct since you are basically always balancing fat oxidation with fat storage:
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • clobercow
    Options

But more importantly, this is irrelevant when you look at what happens over the course of larger periods of time. All that matters is that fat oxidation exceeds fat storage. Even if you eat ALL of your calories before bed EVERY NIGHT, you will just be oxidizing fat during the day.

It literally makes no difference.

This is why fasting is so effective and the reason I do it. It's refreshing to see someone who understands this.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

This is why fasting is so effective and the reason I do it. It's refreshing to see someone who understands this.

I think that there is some evidence pointing towards fasting being beneficial. I'm not personally sold on it yet, but I will say that I don't think it's dangerous in the least, and I will also say that I intermittent fast myself, for adherence/preference reasons. I'm in the camp that meal timing and frequency is of minimal importance given accurate end-of-day nutrient totals.

EDIT: I do believe it is damn effective for people who adhere to it, since for those people (myself included) it's quite easy to do. I have WAY better adherence to my diet by using IF vs 6 meals per day/etc.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    what meal do you make your heaviest/biggest?

Dinner, almost always. Unless there is an event or gathering that causes me to eat more during the day, I typically consume about 1/2 my daily calories in the last meal of the day.
  • clobercow
    Options

I think that there is some evidence pointing towards fasting being beneficial. I'm not personally sold on it yet, but I will say that I don't think it's dangerous in the least, and I will also say that I intermittent fast myself, for adherence/preference reasons. I'm in the camp that meal timing and frequency is of minimal importance given accurate end-of-day nutrient totals.

EDIT: I do believe it is damn effective for people who adhere to it, since for those people (myself included) it's quite easy to do. I have WAY better adherence to my diet by using IF vs 6 meals per day/etc.

No doubt about that. IF may not be for everyone, but from the literature that I have read, its a natural cycle of the body. Short term fasts have only benefits and there are many to list. I do IF on a daily basis and I've gone through a 100% change in my eating habits both emotionally and physically. I'm a completely different person. I'm ending a 48 hour fast today only because I want to. I'm 100% in control of my eating habits now and IF has liberated me from hormone imbalance. This is key and is often glazed over when considered.

I'm not going to try and sell IF to you, but it is the most important tool I have for control and weight loss. I will forever IF now that I know.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I am pretty much the same. I do not 'do IF' per se, its just my natural eating rhythm.