onto the second interview

Options
foxyforce
foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
i've only ever been on ONE second interview ever, and i didn't get it

i was invited back for a second interview at what seems to be a great fit

the first interview they asked me a lot of behavioural questions, i gave them a copy of all of my reference letters and let them explore my resume in further detail AND sent them a thank you letter

what do second interviews usually entail? what are your strongest tips on how to land that job!!

Replies

• XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    i had to do role play / team activities... doesn't mean your will be the same. If you do though you obviously have to be comfortable dealing with role play etc... x
  • foxyforce
    Options
    i think i can role play...i have a hard time describing my my behaviours, but actually doing it is easier for me! yay
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    They may go into depth about projects you worked on or other things you mentioned in your resume and cover letter. Also, study up on the company as they may ask you about what YOU think their company is all about.

Here's something you may, or may not, find helpful. The site has lots of useful info for job seekers at all levels.
    http://www.theladders.com/career-advice/how-to-prepare-for-second-interview

PS Use your Google. There is help for literally anything if you search for it. Never hurts to look.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Some times it's just so you can meet with other member's of the "team" of hiring manager's or those that will be impacted by the person they are hiring. I don't think it would be out of line to contact the hiring manager and ask what it might entail, how much time to allow etc. I would typically receive an agenda, with the names of those I would be interviewing with. I've had the 2nd interview last any where from 4-6 hours.
  • NamibianRose
    NamibianRose Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making it to the second interview!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Some times it's just so you can meet with other member's of the "team" of hiring manager's or those that will be impacted by the person they are hiring.

This exactly. It's to see how you'll fit with the larger group.
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    They may go into depth about projects you worked on or other things you mentioned in your resume and cover letter. Also, study up on the company as they may ask you about what YOU think their company is all about.

Here's something you may, or may not, find helpful.
    http://www.theladders.com/career-advice/how-to-prepare-for-second-interview

PS Use your Google. There is help for literally anything if you search for it. Never hurts to look.

Pretty much this.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    You will probably meet with different people for the 2nd interview. Make sure to get their business cards so you can send them individual thank you e-mails when you are done. Come prepared with 3-5 questions. If you can find out who you are interviewing with and what departments they are in you can tailor your questions to each department (for example, you wouldn't ask the HR department a question about a project you may be working on if you were hired). If you can learn a little bit more about the company make sure you show that off (Ex: I noticed on your website that XYZ company was just profiled by Whatever Magazine as one of the top companies to work for, I was really impressed by that). Good luck and congrats on the second interview!
  • michcruz
    michcruz Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It could also be an interview to meet with the person you will be reporting to. Or the person you may have interviewd with originally may want you to meet with someone else and they could very well ask the same questions as the first interview. They probably want to see if you're a good fit with them or potentially with others that you could be working with in that role. Sometimes, a second or third opinion matters to employers these days.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    yes, thank you!
  • ItsPheebs
    ItsPheebs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Study up on the company -- their mission statement, top dogs, special projects. They might ask questions about times you've handled a conflict and how you handled it, and what you want to accomplish at the company.

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • judybrim
    judybrim Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Congrats and best of luck, Foxy! Sorry I haven't been, but hope to be shortly! Thanks for all the wonderful ideas everyone! :D
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I just recently changed jobs after 13 years with the same employer.

The first interview was with the team manager and the VP and it was very informal, just getting a gauge of who I was and my background.

I was called back for a second interview and this time it was with the team I would be working with, just to see if they would like me and if they felt I would be a fit in their group. Their questions consisted of:

1. Do you like country music?
    2. Do I like little old ladies?

That was it.....the job was mine!!!

edited to say: Good luck to you!! Just relax and be yourself - they obviously saw something in you during the first interview to warrant a second. Very good sign :smile:
  • foxyforce
    Options
    thank you for the websites peoples, and i do use google too. i almost laughed (probably the only bad part of the first interview as it through me off) when they asked me how my administrative skills were.

i am excellent in any admin role, and then i detailed several diff projects.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    I just recently changed jobs after 13 years with the same employer.

The first interview was with the team manager and the VP and it was very informal, just getting a gauge of who I was and my background.

I was called back for a second interview and this time it was with the team I would be working with, just to see if they would like me and if they felt I would be a fit in their group. Their questions consisted of:

1. Do you like country music?
    2. Do I like little old ladies?

That was it.....the job was mine!!!

edited to say: Good luck to you!! Just relax and be yourself - they obviously saw something in you during the first interview to warrant a second. Very good sign :smile:

this is the best, did you get to sign your contract on the spot!!?
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    In my experience second interviews suggest the first interviewer(s) believe you may be a good fit for them. The second interview usually involves a higher level of management who will be looking to compare you with with other similarly recommended individuals to see who might be the best projected fit as well as to see if they agree with the recommendation. Obviously each company is different but that is what I have seen in the hiring process when I have been involved in decision making.