Suddenly I Bristle at This Comment

Options

Replies

• deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I too hate the term "diet" if people ask I say I am not on a diet I just don't eat junk all day everyday. I also hate "diet food" aka sugar free fat free or rice cakes. I eat real stuff with real sugar and real fat ok reduced fat milk but mostly full fat stuff. I do enjoy diet pepsi. though not everyday
  • mmarlow61
    mmarlow61 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Does my mom work with you??? lol If we EVER have a family gathering she monitors my plate to see just what and how much of what I eat and then the next day gives me her critique. Gets very aggravating, evidently I understand what I'm doing since I'm down 71 lbs, but it's like she cannot get over oldfashioned mindsets and give up control (EVEN though i'm WELL old enough to monitor myself :bigsmile: )
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yep, 9 times out of 10, those people who are on a "diet" will be on some sort of "diet" in a few weeks when this "diet" fails.

I'm on a diet. I plan to be on some sort of diet in a few weeks. Not because my diet failed, but because it works.
  • sarabluebell
    sarabluebell Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Id tell them where Im gonna shove my snickers bar....oh wait im gonna eat it....when someone said something to me about that a year ago when I was dieting...I smiled and offered to come help clean out thier fridge and cabinets so they could get healthy too...I remember she looked kinda weird at me not sure if I was really wanting to help, or I was implying she could use to lose some weight too lol...she never did say anything else to me after that.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    My diet consists of rainbows.
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Most people think dieting is about living off rabbit food and never being allowed to indulge.

These people are idiots.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

stop being cute, i am trying to frown:angry: , and stay on my diet...OOPS i called it diet...guess what people? whatever you eat IS your diet. who cares what people call it?
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    The word diet for me implies restrictions and limits. I am living and eating just how I want to for the next 50+ years. I do not cut out foods because that means I would be cutting them out FOREVER.

And a world without icecream is just not ok with me. :flowerforyou:
  • Deedles2012
    Deedles2012 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My girlfirend here at work and I were just talking about going to lunch. She wanted to go somewhere I had never been, Quizno's (sp). I told her that was fine, I could pull up an menu online and find an appropriatly healthy meal for me. One of the other girls in the office felt the need to pipe up and say "Well Dee you are on a diet. I don't think you should really go over there." I turned and looked at her smiling sweetly and said " I didn't ask for your opinion." and left it at that.
  • LorFor
    LorFor Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree, I am NOT on a diet. I'm trying to treat my body well, and nourish it while getting rid of some of the weight I received as a 40th birthday present from the cosmos.LOL
    For the ice cream scenario, and the question of "are you ALLOWED to eat that". . . my feeling, and reaction would depend on the asker. For a co-worker I might try sarcastic sympathy, something like "Aww, is that how you think it works?" Using this tactic, you really have to commit, don't look snide, wear a really sympathetic expression as if you feel sorry for them.lol
    If it was a friend or family member, I would use it as an educational opportunity. I would try to advise them out of the all or nothing mentality, because if it's someone I care for I would want them to be happier and healthier too.
  • mgs68pony
    mgs68pony Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I completely understand and look at my profile picture......it says it all!

Good Luck!
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    This has happened so often to me lately. I just answer that it is within my calorie goal for the day, and they usually just look confused and say "oh".
  • NaomiDollar
    NaomiDollar Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I refuse to say I am on a diet. I am choosing a healthier lifestyle. I am making changes to my eating habits for a healthier me. These are long term changes not short term changes.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I'm not really certain why, but for some reason I've become irritated with the term "dieting".
    You are not alone. That is a common thing on this site. Personally, I like the term "diet" and am irritated by the term "lifestyle change". :ohwell:
    I don't like "lifestyle change", but "journey" is way, way worse.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I hate that comment too. My mom makes a habit of saying it to me.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

stop being cute, i am trying to frown:angry: , and stay on my diet...OOPS i called it diet...guess what people? whatever you eat IS your diet. who cares what people call it?

Compromise.

rainbow-kitten.jpg

kitten+barfing+up+a+rainbow+notebook.jpg
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    No, I'm right there with you. People ask about my diet and I always respond... "You know it's kooky, but I eat fairly clean and exercise. Hmmmm, go figure that would actually work!"

It's not a diet, b*tchesssssssssssssssss. :laugh:
  • Fani2003
    Fani2003 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I feel the exact same way. It bothers me too. I actually constantly think of myself as "maintaining" because even though I still have about 30 pounds to lose, every day that I am at this weight and not gaining, I am maintaining my lifestyle. I eat the way I do today, the way I will 6 mos or a year from now. If I want something (wine or chocolate or a girl scout cookie), I eat it now because I am doing this FOREVER. There is no 2 months from now or 3 weeks from now when I will be "off the diet." this is my way of life.
  • LastSixtySix
    LastSixtySix Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    "Dieting" is one of the cover-up words to hide the real intent.

If what you are after is a life-style change, why not call it fueling (food is fuel, after all, not a reward)? Change your own vocabulary but don't expect everyone else to change with you. They DO notice you, however. So, encourage them by continuing on as your determined and sweet self. Those who are ready will get the picture and the others, who cares?

Congrats on the focus and determination to live towards optimal health!
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I tell people I am on the MFP diet and then ask how their fat diet is going.