A calorie isn't a calorie.

Options
2»

Replies

• mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Borrowed from a guest article on Mark's daily apple...

University of Florida researcher J.W. Krieger analyzed 87 studies and found that those people who ate SANE calories lost an average of 12 more pounds of body fat compared to those who ate an equal quantity of lower quality calories.
    C.M. Young at Cornell University split people into three groups, each eating 1,800 calories per day, but at different levels of quality. The highest-quality group lost 86.5% more body fat than the lowest-quality group.
    In the Annals of Internal Medicine, F.L. Benoît compared a reduced-calorie low-quality diet to a reduced-calorie high-quality diet. After ten days the high-quality diet burned twice as much body fat.
    Additional studies by researchers U. Rabast (1978,1981), P. Greene (2003), N.H. Baba (1999), A. Golay (1996), M.E. Lean (1997), C.M. Young (1971), and D.K. Layman (2003) all show that people who ate higher-quality calories lost an average of 22% more weight than those who ate the exact same quantity of lower-quality calories.

Anyone have personal experience with not changing calorie intake, JUST quality, and saw a positive effect in body composition?

Of course Sisson wouldn't mention Krieger's current stance on that meta analysis, since sisson is a dope

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=285

Thanks. For others who don't want to click through and read it all, here's the end. This is from Krieger, who also did the study above:

"The bottom line is that there is no metabolic advantage to a low carbohydrate intake that is independent of a high protein intake. There is a metabolic advantage to a high protein diet, which will increase the calories you burn by 80-100 calories per day. There is also a dramatic satiety advantage to a high protein intake. A low carbohydrate intake (low enough to cause ketosis) can increase this satiety advantage, but individual responses will vary. The best dietary approach for you will depend upon a variety of factors."
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I agree and disagree. A calorie is a calorie in that 3500 of them make a pound. If you over eat crappy food you'll gain and if you over eat good food you'll gain. I would try eating all the "good" stuff. Lean protein, whole grains, olive oil, fruits, veggies, so on and so forth without calorie counting but I couldnt figure out why I wasn't getting any thinner. Lack of results equaled lack of motivation at that point in my life and I'd go back to my old and unhealthy habits. A friend told me about MFP and when I started really looking at my calories I noticed how MUCH I was actually eating even of the healthy stuff.

When I really started watching my calories I started to drop weight and I would budget a certain amount of calories for the same old crap I was eating. I noticed that even though I was within my calorie limit eating the same old same old left me feeling crappy even though I was getting thinner so I do agree in that respect that a calorie isn't just a calorie.

I don't know all the ins and outs of nutrients and lifting like some people do on here but I'm learning and the one thing I'll say is that the more simple and clean the food is the better I feel. I'm not at my goal but the fact I just feel so much happier, healthier, and stronger because of my food choices is motivation enough to keep pushing forward.
  • realized007
    Options
    When it comes to weight loss, and only weight loss.. a calories IS a calorie and all calories ARE equal.

You can lose weight eating mcdonalds 24/7. Just by watching your calories, just as you are now..

With that said, the nutritional benefits might not be the same, but if your only goal is weight loss – then a calorie is a calorie.