Suddenly I Bristle at This Comment

Options

Replies

• Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    No, I'm right there with you. People ask about my diet and I always respond... "You know it's kooky, but I eat fairly clean and exercise. Hmmmm, go figure that would actually work!"

It's not a diet, b*tchesssssssssssssssss. :laugh:
    ^^^^^^^^^
    THIS
  • BrnIdGirl
    BrnIdGirl Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I find sarcasm works best for me in such situations...although it can backfire, lol. For example, in the ice cream bar situation, I would have been tempted to say "Oh it's fine, I just won't eat anything for the next two days, so it'll even out."

This is so me. I try making a funny first if that doesn't work a comment like the one above or one I have used is "I forgot the food police were here, give me my citation so I can get on with enjoying this"

I too do not like the word diet (it is after all a four letter word that begins with die) and I tell people it is just my lifestyle, no need to explain and if someone asks me what diet I'm on I usually respond with something like "why do you want to know, do you want to try it" that will usually shut them up (of course I don't do that to someone who is sincerly looking for help).
  • bratleen
    bratleen Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    These are my standard responses to anyone who asks if I am on a diet:

I am on a diet and have been since the day I was born. At birth my diet consisted of breast milk, but gradually my parents introduced a variety of foods, which then became part of my diet.

Yes, but I changed from the Lion diet, I found I don't like the taste of raw zebra, but I have found the giraffe quite tasty.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I am very adament with people that I am not dieting. I'm just eating healthier and watching portion sizes. I've been known to go into long diatribes on the fact that cookies are good for the soul and shouldn't be given up. Some people are skeptical, but those I work with are amazed because they actually see what I eat.

I agree that it's irritating when folks make those dieting comments, but just try to remember that most people can't conceive of the fact that it's possible to lose weight without punishing oneself. All we can do is educate.
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    "are you allowed to eat that?"

That's when you tell them they're right, you should probably check with your mother first. :tongue:

Sometimes people tend to speak before they think. I, too, occasionally get that question. I just look them in the eye and ask them "Why WOULDN'T I be allowed to eat it? I'm not on a diet." There isn't usually an answer.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Right. A 'diet' holds you back. and when you reach your 'diet' goal then what? I'm thinkin' that's why a lot of people re-gain. they no longer have a goal. it turns into OK that's over, now what? People who comment are poison. No matter their reasons. i get prickly too. i shrug my shoulders at them and say Fat People Need Treats Too. usually gets 'em! i have found it's mostly people who feel guilty about their weight or 'diet' who comment. Besides, it's just plain Rude! there are 8 billion people in the world. don't let 1 ruin your day. :tongue: :ohwell: My rant. thanks!
  • bamadwl
    bamadwl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I love it when people ask me what I'm on or what I'm taking, like it's impossible to lose weight if you don't take a pill or have surgery. They don't like it when I tell them it's all about moderation and excercise because they want to sit on their rump and take a magic "slim pill". As soon as they hear hard work, determination and discipline they lose all interest and go back to doing the same old things.
  • etsdolls
    etsdolls Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree, when someone says something about dieting to me I tell them that I'm not on a diet that I've changed my eating habits to be healthier and in the process I'm losing weight.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    People just love to catch us! Let em! In the long run we'll be shrinking in spite of the ice cream bar! I go with the 80 - 90% philosophy. That also doesn't mean I make ice cream 20% of my calories each and every day! I am aiming for my "diet" to be 80 - 90% for the content. Things like meat, dairy, unrefined grains get a ding for me. Even sugar and salt. So yeah, OCASSIONALLY maybe once or twice a year I might eat an ice cream bar. But I also lost 35 pounds this past year. It's like a bank account. If you are doing the work and can AFFORD it, then splurge like that once in a while. If you are not losing, stuck, not meeting your goals, or can't seem to get started then the ice cream bar = a slippery slope!

Everyone has their own philosophy, do what works for you. Just smile and say, "and yet I still lose the weight!" Most who would dare criticize you would kill to be you!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I'm not really certain why, but for some reason I've become irritated with the term "dieting". My coworkers have noticed my weight dropping over the last couple months and started asking me what "diet" I was on. Or, better yet, when I decided to splurge (because it was within my calories for the day) and have an Ice Cream Snickers bar with everyone else, one woman made the comment, "Hey, you're not allowed to eat that! You're dieting!"

I'd like to think I'm changing my entire lifestyle and, to me at least, "dieting" infers something short term and "fad-ish".

The only thing I've ever said to anyone, other than my wife, is that I'm trying to be healthy. Not sure why I came to hate the terms "diet" and "dieting" so much.

/rant

My coworkers do the same thing, only one(who is very fit) understands I eat what ever I want, there are just a lot of things that aren't worth eating to me.
  • dorkusmalorkus
    Options
    people misuse the word diet. its whatever you happen to eat. thats your diet. whether or not you decide to limit yourself to certain foods is your prerogative but its still a diet. so is going to every fast food joint for every meal of the day. diet. but explaining this is too much energy. so id have probably thrown back "hoe, i do what i want!"
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I don't accept diet as a verb.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I'd like to think I'm changing my entire lifestyle and, to me at least, "dieting" infers something short term and "fad-ish".

/rant

I agree with you-I'm not sure why either but maybe it has to do with the fact that I have tried diets before and they didn't work. A lifestyle change will work because, it's just that.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I'm not really certain why, but for some reason I've become irritated with the term "dieting". My coworkers have noticed my weight dropping over the last couple months and started asking me what "diet" I was on. Or, better yet, when I decided to splurge (because it was within my calories for the day) and have an Ice Cream Snickers bar with everyone else, one woman made the comment, "Hey, you're not allowed to eat that! You're dieting!"

The only thing I've ever said to anyone, other than my wife, is that I'm trying to be healthy. Not sure why I came to hate the terms "diet" and "dieting" so much.

/rant
    Replace "dieting" with "spelunking" - it's so much more fun to say!
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    In the medical field the term "diet" is used for our food consumption.

I also don't care or the term "dieting".

Next time someone says what "diet" or "dieting" Simply reply it's called the "life style change" and let it go at that!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't accept diet as a verb.

dictionary.com does

di·et1    /ˈdaɪɪt/ Show Spelled [dahy-it] Show IPA noun, verb, di·et·ed, di·et·ing, adjective
    noun
    1. food and drink considered in terms of its qualities, composition, and its effects on health: Milk is a wholesome article of diet.
    2. a particular selection of food, especially as designed or prescribed to improve a person's physical condition or to prevent or treat a disease: a diet low in sugar.
    3. such a selection or a limitation on the amount a person eats for reducing weight: No pie for me, I'm on a diet.
    4. the foods eaten, as by a particular person or group: The native diet consists of fish and fruit.
    5. food or feed habitually eaten or provided: The rabbits were fed a diet of carrots and lettuce.
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Agreed, I hate when someone says that. I've given up explaining its a lifestyle change
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    My husband always replied "I started eating less and moving more."

It always generates a slightly nasty look from the questioner.
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    And you should be mad! You aren't on a diet, you are on living right and full. :) Just making changes *in* your diet doesn't mean you are on one.
  • ttesta20
    ttesta20 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! It's viewed in such a strange way, all about "dos and dont's" instead of a life change that allows for a natural progression towards better health. All the best in reaching your goals!

THIS!!!!