Why are my hands swelling this bad?

Options
So this past week I spent the entire week visitng my parents while I was there I noticed my fingers swelled up so bad that I couldnt wear any of my rings (size: 7) and I couldnt even wear my fiance's class ring (size: 10) Has anyone else had anything like this happen? My hands have always swelled and usually do swell during the day, but never so bad that I couldnt wear any of my rings (or my fiances size 10 ring). It was so bad my dad was going to cut my rings off.

I thought maybe I had too much sodium, but my dad has high blood pressure and my mom is diabetic So everything she cooked while I was there had very little sodium in it and I didn't eat out any. (I eat more sodium at home than I did there all week)

Replies

• AliciaNorris81
    AliciaNorris81 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I would definitely talk to your doctor. It could be a sodium issue.

My hands swell pretty bad after exercise or if I get too hot. My doctor prescribed Lasix (water pill). I have to pee about 80 million times a day, but it is worth not having to deal with the swelling.

You might want to try some foods that are natural diuretics in the mean time. Also, I know it sounds counter-productive, but drink a ton of water and watch your sodium.

The foods that act as natural diuretics include:

Cranberries
    Watermelon
    Lemon
    Juniper Berries
    Tomatoes
    Asparagus
    Artichokes
    Beets
    Brussels Sprouts
    Cabbage
    Carrots
    Cucumber
    Lettuce
    Watercress
    Celery
    Eggplant
  • smkcx
    smkcx Posts: 69
    Options
    I would definitely talk to your doctor. It could be a sodium issue.

My hands swell pretty bad after exercise or if I get too hot. My doctor prescribed Lasix (water pill). I have to pee about 80 million times a day, but it is worth not having to deal with the swelling.

You might want to try some foods that are natural diuretics in the mean time. Also, I know it sounds counter-productive, but drink a ton of water and watch your sodium.

The foods that act as natural diuretics include:

Cranberries
    Watermelon
    Lemon
    Juniper Berries
    Tomatoes
    Asparagus
    Artichokes
    Beets
    Brussels Sprouts
    Cabbage
    Carrots