So confused.......

Options
So I have been tracking all of my foods and at the end of the day it says that I'm not taking in enough calories. I though I was doing all this in order to lower my caloric intake and now I'm being told I'm doing it wrong??!! So is this another one o fthose damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of things??
I'm so confused and getting more frustrated as the day goes on...lol

Replies

• smalleyez06
    smalleyez06 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You need to have an average amount of calories a day to support what your body needs in general. Do you add your exercise in as well? A lot of times that keeps me negative but I do not always eat back my exercise calories. If you come in slightly below your calories that is fine but you do not want to be so below you no longer have energy or enough to support your daily tasks. How many calories are you trying to stay at?
  • mommy3crazies
    mommy3crazies Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Trying to stay at 1730 calories a day. I don't always have time to exercise (thanks to 3 kids, a full time job and college) but I try to fit in what I can.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    there are many other threads that will xplain this just look around
  • jenheu77
    jenheu77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am also under my calories. I am just trying to make positive changes and eating the right foods and exercising. I am not starving myself. Now sure else how to fix it.
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I thought you would only get that message if you were under 1200 net calories for the day. Are you doing that?

My mistake, it's not net calories...if you actually eat less than 1200, it'll complain.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    If your calories are set for 1200 and you eat 1199, it's going to say that. I wouldnt worry about it unless you're way under or arent eating enough exercise calories. Your body will tell you if you need more food. Eat - if your really hungry after exercising more than usual. Or anytime for that matter, just eat something healthy!
  • Em_runs_away
    Em_runs_away Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    That message should only appear if you eat under 1200 to my knowledge. It's harder to physically sustain yourself and get adequate nutrition if your calory intake is too low. There's loads of helpful information out there. I've learned such a lot since I've been on here. Just remember not everything works for everyone so find what works best for you. Good luck.
  • mommy3crazies
    mommy3crazies Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback!!! It does help to know I'm not the only one out there!
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
  • Flyer615
    Flyer615 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If you eat less than 1200 per day, you'll get a red notice that says you're eating too few calories. If you eat between 1200 and 1730, it will say that you are under your calorie goal (which is good). If you eat more than 1730, it will just say that you completed your food diary for the day. Hang in there. You'll do fine.

Endeavor to persevere.
  • Lmezz11
    Lmezz11 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    If you were consuming too many calories before you started, then it is good to lower your calorie intake. The issue comes in when you lower your caloric intake too much. If you consume too few calories then your body can go into "starvation mode" and that can be just as bad as eating too many calories. It is hard, but I always just try to get close to my caloric goal and make sure that I eat foods that have nutritious calories and not empty calories. Hope that helps and good luck!
  • Kalraii
    Kalraii Posts: 89
    Options
    Yup there is a minimum. Have a look at your BMR (basic metabolic rate) in TOOLS ^^^^ above and that'll tell you what you NEED to maintain as you are if you did nothing all day. That'll give you a starting point. If you don't eat the minimum and safe amount for your weight loss and maintenance you risk getting your body into starvation mode, hoarding EVERYTHING you put in your mouth as if it was your last and therefore slowing your progress. I aim to never let myself get under, but that's not as bad an effort as trying NOT to go over hehe :P If you'd like some support feel free to add! Good luck! :)
  • rbrashear68
    Options
    So I have been tracking all of my foods and at the end of the day it says that I'm not taking in enough calories. I though I was doing all this in order to lower my caloric intake and now I'm being told I'm doing it wrong??!! So is this another one o fthose damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of things??
    I'm so confused and getting more frustrated as the day goes on...lol

If you under eat, your body will hoard fat. You have to eat enough that your body thinks it won't be starving. Our bodies are built for survival and there is such a thing as under-eating. When my weight loss stalls and I've been eating "clean/strict"...I'll have a cheat meal (but not high in fats) and it will "unstick" my weight loss.
  • cyndarella13
    cyndarella13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm confused too!After reading links for newbies I came away with this.....you should eat your exercise calories and be at a deficit to lose weight, the deficit is already built in BUT, it still seems like a lot of food to me.....like more than I was eating when I was not watching what I ate.....and that's why I am overweight!! I have always been somewhat active just not super consistent....you'd think it would be simple eat less move more.....