"fat day"

Options
I have heard many times, That it is okay to have a day a week to eat and enjoy anything a person wants to have. This will cause body to go into some some type of shock and helps to lose weight easier. Please Let me know any information on this . Thank you

Replies

• BChamp1226
    BChamp1226 Posts: 26
    Options
    I've heard of that as being something more along the lines of helping stay on-track mentally. Give yourself a treat day, and be disciplined the rest of the time.

From personal experience, it was not a good fit for me. Once I started down that slippery slope, I lost my way - eventually 4-5 days a week were treat day. However, that might just be me, and others have success with it.

I'll be interested to see what others think...
  • ushkii
    ushkii Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Many have a 'cheat day' and it works for them, I have cheat days that i do not plan so planning a cheat day would be crazy for me. I guess I am not that regulated yet.

I suggest to log EVERYTHING and get a scale to do it right and you will see what needs to change.

GL
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I've heard of that as being something more along the lines of helping stay on-track mentally. Give yourself a treat day, and be disciplined the rest of the time.

From personal experience, it was not a good fit for me. Once I started down that slippery slope, I lost my way - eventually 4-5 days a week were treat day. However, that might just be me, and others have success with it.

I'll be interested to see what others think...

Ditto!!!! When I think i have done a lot and deserve something naughty I follow that up by the next few days being bad. I am out of control once I open those doors.
  • columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I do a cheat day. But I follow a very strict diet during the week.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I sort of have cheat days. I "save" calories from previous days to make up for it. However, I log everything and I usually work out enough that often I don't even go over for that day. But if I do, I don't worry about it because I leave a small deficit (300 to 400) 2 or 3 days a week. It seems to work for me and I don't feel deprived of the foods I enjoy.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I understand enjoying a one serving treat from the store, but a whole day? a whole week?
  • _Sara_A_
    _Sara_A_ Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days, if I want something I'll eat it but in moderation, and I have to find some sort of exercise to work some or all of it off to justify eating it. I don't think we should deprive ourselves of foods we want because we'll end up in a tailspin out of control. Hmm maybe that's how I got in this predicament is the tailspin and eating too much of what's not good and not enough of what's good. :tongue: But you do what works for you.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i don't plan cheat days so if i have one then the rest of the time i have to be good. last night was a mini cheat night. made baked crab rangoon and had 3 of them (plus a glass of sparkling wine, grilled chicken and half a sweet potato). these are MY ALL TIME FAVORITE so to stop at 3 was amazing for me. in the past i'd have 6 or 7 at the chinese restaurant.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I have cheat days, but it's not a totally binge, pig-out, eat a whole tub of icecream thing.
    It's just a 'have an extra helping and a couple cookies' type of thing. With a little stricter days on either side.
  • Kalraii
    Kalraii Posts: 89
    Options
    I see my limit. I eat anything I want within that limit, whether it be ice-cream or fruit. I am a fussy eater so the transition to healthy is a hard one for me. If I want to eat more - I exercise so that I can eat more and meet my goal regardless. I have a lack of portion control so cheat days don't suit me. Is it what you eat, or how much of it or both? Mine's both so I've eaten less junk and less of it and already seen a difference. I wish you the best of luck! :)
  • MsTonyaRenee
    MsTonyaRenee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I usually end up having a "cheat day" about once every two weeks (usually when my mom cooks for the family!) but I always log even when I have those days. It helps me realize how quickly I could get off track,
  • hellokehtty
    Options
    I have a "cheat day" sometimes (maybe few times a month) but it is only around 500 calories max over my maintenance...and even then, I make it up by being good in the days beforehand/days following.

Having a day where you go totally crazy and don't log at all probably isn't a good idea - you might go way over, and it might be a slippery slope...I think what works best is to allow yourself treats fairly often, just make sure they fit into your daily goal.
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,267 Member
    Options
    I try not to have an entire cheat day. A cheat meal is more like it. I don't want to go off the deep end.
  • janeymgt
    janeymgt Posts: 1
    Options
    Every day is a cheat day for me. How do I get really focused? I'm doing more exercise than I have for years (gym/swimming) and eating less, but find it really hard to count calories/points whatever.

I have lost 7.5 lb in a month or so, but nothing for the last couple of weeks (since I started on this site).

Maybe these forums will help me. At least I know I'm not alone! :ohwell:
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    i sometimes do a cheat meal... because a whole day can throw off a week of progress
  • sillab
    sillab Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think it is important to have a "treat" every now and then, but a whole day really de-rails me and it takes 3 or 4 to catch back up! I think you really have to know what will work for you or not, if you are like me and think, oh I already blew it I might as well keep eating then a cheat day is probably not a good thing....
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I don't have a treat day but i do have a treat meal once a week.
  • 2fat4knees
    2fat4knees Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I sort of have cheat days. I "save" calories from previous days to make up for it. However, I log everything and I usually work out enough that often I don't even go over for that day. But if I do, I don't worry about it because I leave a small deficit (300 to 400) 2 or 3 days a week. It seems to work for me and I don't feel deprived of the foods I enjoy.
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    yes it is important. i don't do a cheat day, just a cheat meal. otherwise i feel like rubbish!

your body will get confused which is good. also, changing your exercise routine helps. i've just got comfy on the treadmill and elliptical but my partner said i should switch it up, or my body will just think it's easy. i hate my gym though. lots of judging eyes
  • shani251
    shani251 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything like a cheat day - if i want something i budget for it or go cycling to cover the calories, simple as that. when i go cycling, i burn about 600 calories/hour - 4 hours into a ride i can pretty much eat anything i want, if i want, but i usually make healthy choices anyway because that's how i live my life now.
    everything in moderation - that's the only way you'll lose weight and keep it off for life.