Running Tips

Options

Replies

• JacquelineD35
    JacquelineD35 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Definitely C25K program....Im 230 and have run 2 5K's -one in April and one in May and did them in 45 minutes, I still run/walk them, but they recommend interval training for higher fat burn and It WORKS!!
    And I can say, Dont Care about people looking at you even if you are on the open road- A fat girl running is better than a fat girl at a buffet!!! You can do it!!!

LOL love the fat girl comment :) I will definitely look into the programs thanks for the tip :)
  • JacquelineD35
    Options
    I was a complete beginner to running when I started C5k in April and although it was hard, it is very achievable. I never completed the programme due to issues with my knee but I still completed my first 5k in June - 29 minutes!!
    Go for it!

Congrats!!! Good for you :) I have issues with my knees as well but I dont want to let it stop me from reaching my goal weight so I will take it as easy but hard as possible
  • JacquelineD35
    Options
    There's alot of personal opinion on this subject, but it does depend on what you're aiming for?

if I coach friends/colleagues to run, I don't bother taking them out for 2miles etc... at the beginning.
    I take them out for some sprints within their ability.
    Flat out for 30m, then recover, repeat!
    over time I increase it.
    Soon they're running 1/4 mile flat out and recovering within 2mins.
    Within a few weeks when I take them out for 2miles+ I find they run quicker then if I'd just been trying to run/walk them to 2+ miles.

Find a running club "with" beginners or someone who will "coach" you.

You can pretty much find any info on the internet about running, some great running magazines and many programs to get you to where you need to be.

The biggest tips:-
    Have 1 or 2 new pairs trainers every 6 months or 500 miles, whatever comes first.
    You only need 2 pairs if you're running alot every day. Most beginners only need 1 pair!
    Get your "virgin" running shoes from a "proper" running shop! Not a fashion sports shop!
    They will have a video camera on their treadmill and will show you your gait and foot fall.
    Log your runs, time and distance, see how you improve. Set targets that you "can" achieve within a short time. Long term targets are for pros.

If you're "serious", a HRM with a GPS watch is "worth" having! "Serious doesn't mean 10k races, you don't need tech to train for 10k races". You need a $5 digital watch to train for 10k races :)

Your distance should only increase 10% per week.
    Lung capacity changes every 3 to 4 days, muscles and tendons take 10 days (old skool).
    You may feel ready to increase your distance, don't, follow the 10% rule, avoid injury).

Put hills in your runs, run up and down! You want to be balanced!

Run barefoot on the beach/grass once in a blue moon.
    Run backwards somewhere soft once in a blue moon.

I used to run 50 miles a week, now I cover 10-18 miles a week.
    5 days are sprint sessions, 1 day is 10k or 10miles.
    I'm in better shape now then when I covered the bigger distance.
    If you want to run for getting in shape, consider mixing in S&C (strength & conditioning) training too!
    I've been overtaken by many fat runners on LSD runs (Long Slow Distance), my 10k is 42mins.
    I don't get overtaken on sprints by fat runners, or flat out 2miles.

Find your way, everything is possible :)

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate all the feed back, honestly was not even thinking about the sneakers was thinking can run with any old pair I have but it's been brought up a few times so I definitely will look into it. I am definitely trying to find different ways to increase my cardio and running is up there.
  • JacquelineD35
    Options
    Do not buy new Trainers/Sneakers and start running in them. They have to be very worn in first.

Buy a good pair and not ones that just look good.

New Balance, Asics, Brooks are all very good brands that are actually for running.

Hey thanks for the recommendations, do you suggest those shox sneakers?

the 'shox' shoes are for really BIG people ( think NFL type sizes). The best way to find out is to go to a proper running store, speak to the sales people ( who are usually runners themselves) and ask for a gait analysis. The right footwear is so important, there are so many brands and styles but make sure they are suitable for your gait.

as others have said, c25k is a fantastic way to build into running, and I also strongly believe walking as part of your runs is nothing to be ashamed of. Forget speed, run as you can most comfortably..and above everything else, ENJOY your running :-)

Have fun and congratulations on your first steps to becoming a runner :-)

Thanks!!! Definitely will be looking into some good sneakers for my new weight loss journey :) I've been doing Supreme90Day (spin off of P90X) and have been getting better at the core work outs but I feel like I need to add something different into the mix.
  • JacquelineD35
    Options
    I've done C25K many times, I love it! I've also done bridge to 10k. At the moment I'm in week 5 of C25K. There's no shame in repeating a week of the program if you moving up makes you feel like you're going to die!

I echo many other comments - get proper shoes and SOCKS. Wear clothes that fit well (pants falling down while running is a frequent and very awkward problem!) Watch some veideos on running technique and really think about how you're carrying yourself while running, especially if you start to feel sore or uncomfortable. Don't feel that to you have to sprint in order to be running, just start with a jog and build up your endurance, speed can come later.

And I LOVE the comment "A fat girl running is better than a fat girl at a buffet" I OFTEN tell myself when I feel jiggly and awkward and gross that at least I'm doing something about it! hahaha.

Thanks for the feed back :) I too loved the fat girl comment lol, I appreciate the feed back its all very helpful and I am definitely going to look into C25K and purchasing running shoes. xo
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I'm going to reiterate what was already said but only because it's such good advice!

Couch to 5K rocks!!! It's such a great program, and you have a concrete goal to work towards.

Getting fitted for proper running shoes is a MUST. Not only will you be fitted for shoes but also orthotics. I like Newtons, but they are pricey, and I also liked Brooks when I was fitted. You can also get fitted and then buy elsewhere. I got my Newtons with proper orthotics for about $100 less by getting fitted and buying from runningwarehouse.com afterwards (the salesperson even encouraged me to buy elsewhere if I could get my Newtons cheaper).

Good socks are a must, too. I like Balega or Zulu, which is a slightly less expensive brand made by Balega. They're made in South Africa, so they're hard to find, but most running stores have them. The site I mentioned above does sell them, and I'm sure you can find them on Amazon and such. They feel like you're running on a cloud :smile:

Otherwise, BE SAFE! If you're running in the dark (my favorite time to run), get yourself a reflective vest of some sort. It's a pain, and it's ugly, but I'd rather be seen in my ugly, annoying vest than dead.

Get some good music ready, and have fun!
  • Dreamerryu27
    Dreamerryu27 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I completed C25K and Loved it! I would suggest downloading the podcast. Running shoes are everything! Spend the money because they are worth it!
  • JacquelineD35
    Options
    I'm going to reiterate what was already said but only because it's such good advice!

Couch to 5K rocks!!! It's such a great program, and you have a concrete goal to work towards.

Getting fitted for proper running shoes is a MUST. Not only will you be fitted for shoes but also orthotics. I like Newtons, but they are pricey, and I also liked Brooks when I was fitted. You can also get fitted and then buy elsewhere. I got my Newtons with proper orthotics for about $100 less by getting fitted and buying from runningwarehouse.com afterwards (the salesperson even encouraged me to buy elsewhere if I could get my Newtons cheaper).

Good socks are a must, too. I like Balega or Zulu, which is a slightly less expensive brand made by Balega. They're made in South Africa, so they're hard to find, but most running stores have them. The site I mentioned above does sell them, and I'm sure you can find them on Amazon and such. They feel like you're running on a cloud :smile:

Otherwise, BE SAFE! If you're running in the dark (my favorite time to run), get yourself a reflective vest of some sort. It's a pain, and it's ugly, but I'd rather be seen in my ugly, annoying vest than dead.

Get some good music ready, and have fun!

Thanks so much!! I am looking into C25K right now cant wait to get started :) congrats on your weight loss, cant wait to see those numbers on my ticker xo
  • JacquelineD35
    Options
    I completed C25K and Loved it! I would suggest downloading the podcast. Running shoes are everything! Spend the money because they are worth it!

Yeah going to go this week on my day off and get fitted so I can get started with my jog/run... Cant wait, thank you!!! xo
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    don't beat yourself up if you walk...

set a race goal, ie sign up for a 5k. gives you something to work towards and helps keep you accountable to yourself

find an online training program for the 5k or to the C25k (couch to 5k) program... personally, I use Jeff Galloway because he gives me permission to walk, even if I eventually do a marathon (which is a long-term goal!)

Put one foot in front of the other

always remember: "DLF>DNF>>DNS - dead last finish is greater than did not finish is infinitely greater than did not start"

lmao...I've never heard that as a runner...too funny...I like it
  • MsDivineM
    MsDivineM Posts: 48
    Options
    I found that C25k was to much for me so we started at 15 seconds on and 60 seconds off. We are adding 5 seconds on every week and doing the intervals every other day going about 2 miles with the intervals and 2 miles walking. I am signing up for my 1st 5k in October! Do what your body can handle! Push yourself but don't overdo it! No one gets anywhere with injuries.
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    agreed with the above post... running shoes are the key...find a pace that works for you...consistency is the key...over time time you will become in tuned as you progress...good luck
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Do not buy new Trainers/Sneakers and start running in them. They have to be very worn in first.

New Balance, Asics, Brooks are all very good brands that are actually for running.

the 'shox' shoes are for really BIG people ( think NFL type sizes). The best way to find out is to go to a proper running store, speak to the sales people ( who are usually runners themselves) and ask for a gait analysis. The right footwear is so important, there are so many brands and styles but make sure they are suitable for your gait.

as others have said, c25k is a fantastic way to build into running, and I also strongly believe walking as part of your runs is nothing to be ashamed of. Forget speed, run as you can most comfortably..and above everything else, ENJOY your running :-)

Thanks!!! Definitely will be looking into some good sneakers for my new weight loss journey :) I've been doing Supreme90Day (spin off of P90X) and have been getting better at the core work outs but I feel like I need to add something different into the mix.

umm. If you get the right pair of shoes they shouldn't have to be "broken in".
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options

umm. If you get the right pair of shoes they shouldn't have to be "broken in".

Agreed. I ran in mine from day one.
  • mgraue82
    mgraue82 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    always remember: "DLF>DNF>>DNS - dead last finish is greater than did not finish is infinitely greater than did not start"

AWESOME!!!
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Hey all!! I've been working out for the past three weeks now and I'm looking to add something different to my workout. Thinking about running but being that I've never been very active I was wondering if there are any tips for a beginner runner?

YES C25K is awesome... You can download the app on your phone if you have that kind of phone. Im on week 2 day 2!!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    1. Good Pair of Running Shoes properly fitted by someone who knows what they are talking about. They are the third most important piece of equipment after your feet and brain.

2. Listen to your body. If you aren't used to running, the urge to go as far as you can, as fast as you can, can and usually does lead to injuries.

3. Most people should follow the 10% rule... never exceed the previous weeks running by more than 10% (especially on longer runs). Build gradually, Rome wasn't built in a day. Neither was marathon distance running. Keep in mind, according to mythology the first Greek who ran to Marathon dropped dead on arrival. Don't be that guy!

4. Take a program or running clinic. They will guide you to what are reasonable distances and what to expect. Running Clinics are wonderful opportunities to learn about the sport and run with other people of similar experience levels. The offer you a coached experience. It is also fun to run in a group. You can find the programs online or at your local running stores (I coach for the Running Room)

5. Find a running buddy will help keep you motivated.

6. Sign up for an event and train for it. Most people start by signing up for a 5K about 10 weeks out. Again, keeps you focused and the feeling of success when you cross the finish line is fantastic. Start with a 5K, build to a 10K, then a Half, and Full and eventually Ultra (my goal for this year).

7. There is an old adage that you can't teach speed. Don't be discouraged by your pace, work on endurance first. Speed comes much later. I have people in my clinics who run 8 minute miles, and I have people who run 15 minute miles. They are all fabulous and dedicated runners. I teach people that we are all as different as our feet, I couldn't run a mile in your shoes, and you'd trip all over the place in mine ( unless you wear a size 12 double E width

8. Treat every run as a learning experience. Did you have a great run today? Or was it a supremely crappy one? Why was that? What went wrong? Not every run is going to be an awesome run, and not all of them bad. Try to find the positives and build from them.

Probably many more things I could add. Feel free to add me as a friend if you have questions or need advice.

Good luck and be safe!
  • mgraue82
    mgraue82 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Definitely C25K program....Im 230 and have run 2 5K's -one in April and one in May and did them in 45 minutes, I still run/walk them, but they recommend interval training for higher fat burn and It WORKS!!
    And I can say, Dont Care about people looking at you even if you are on the open road- A fat girl running is better than a fat girl at a buffet!!! You can do it!!!

LOVE THIS!!!!!
  • twinkle113
    Options
    Start slow, and build up. Aim for increasing your time (like running for 10 minutes and then working up to 30 mins) before worrying about distance or speed.

Get good shoes. I have good luck with Nike, New Balance, and Aasics.
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    1. Good Pair of Running Shoes properly fitted by someone who knows what they are talking about. They are the third most important piece of equipment after your feet and brain.

2. Listen to your body. If you aren't used to running, the urge to go as far as you can, as fast as you can, can and usually does lead to injuries.

3. Most people should follow the 10% rule... never exceed the previous weeks running by more than 10% (especially on longer runs). Build gradually, Rome wasn't built in a day. Neither was marathon distance running. Keep in mind, according to mythology the first Greek who ran to Marathon dropped dead on arrival. Don't be that guy!

4. Take a program or running clinic. They will guide you to what are reasonable distances and what to expect. Running Clinics are wonderful opportunities to learn about the sport and run with other people of similar experience levels. The offer you a coached experience. It is also fun to run in a group. You can find the programs online or at your local running stores (I coach for the Running Room)

5. Find a running buddy will help keep you motivated.

6. Sign up for an event and train for it. Most people start by signing up for a 5K about 10 weeks out. Again, keeps you focused and the feeling of success when you cross the finish line is fantastic. Start with a 5K, build to a 10K, then a Half, and Full and eventually Ultra (my goal for this year).

7. There is an old adage that you can't teach speed. Don't be discouraged by your pace, work on endurance first. Speed comes much later. I have people in my clinics who run 8 minute miles, and I have people who run 15 minute miles. They are all fabulous and dedicated runners. I teach people that we are all as different as our feet, I couldn't run a mile in your shoes, and you'd trip all over the place in mine ( unless you wear a size 12 double E width

8. Treat every run as a learning experience. Did you have a great run today? Or was it a supremely crappy one? Why was that? What went wrong? Not every run is going to be an awesome run, and not all of them bad. Try to find the positives and build from them.

Probably many more things I could add. Feel free to add me as a friend if you have questions or need advice.

Good luck and be safe!

Bump! This is good advice!! I'm just starting the C25K and I'm glad I found this thread.