GLUTEN-FREE recipes....please share!

Options
2»

Replies

• misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I posted this recipe the other day and they are actually really good. I kept 10 out and froze 6. I've had NOOOOO problem going through the 10 ha ha (they aren't very big, smaller than a store bought muffin)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/672384-egg-free-gf-df-carrot-muffins-from-a-mix
  • pmuscil
    pmuscil Posts: 7
    Options
    Also... For some more inspiration: http://betterbatter.org/
  • kathryn_m
    kathryn_m Posts: 31
    Options
    Wow! These are great! I'm especially interested to check out the blogs. I try to eat a lot of protein, fruits, and vegetables, but I'm looking for a fun gluten free treat that I can make once a week. That way, I still get to enjoy the good stuff! Boiled eggs and chicken only taste good for so long...
  • menletti
    menletti Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Udi's has bread, muffins, pizza crusts, bagels....they all taste like the "real" stuff.

There are a ton of recipes on www.glutenfreegoddess.com

Also, Tom Sawyer all purpose gluten free flour is a one to one so you can use it in any recipe in place of regular flour without having to add any xanthum gum to it.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    These are definitely special occasion type foods, but they are both really good...

1) Under the Food Network website, you can find a delicious recipe by Alton Brown for gluten free chocolate chip cookies.

2) Flourless Chocolate Mousse Cake

2 tbsp sugar
    8 oz light cream cheese
    6 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
    ½ cup skim or fat free evaporated milk
    4 large eggs, separated
    ½ cup sugar mixed with 2 tsp cornstarch

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Lightly butter an 8-inch springform pan and coat with sugar. Wrap a large sheet of aluminum foil around the pan. Set aside. Place cream cheese and chocolate in a bowl and microwave on high for 45 seconds. Stir, then microwave for an additional 45 seconds. Stir until cream cheese and chocolate are blended. Gradually stir in milk then egg yolks. Beat egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar/cornstarch mixture. Beat until stiff, glossy peaks form. Briskly stir 1/3 of the egg white mixture into the chocolate mixture. Gently fold in the remaining egg whites just until blended. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Batter may be frozen for up to one month. Bake cake for 1 hour (1 hour, 45 minutes if frozen). Cool for five minutes on a wire rack. Remove foil. Loosen cake from pan with a thin knife. Cut cake into wedges to serve. Serve on a pool of raspberry puree or topped with whipped cream and coffee-flavored frozen yogurt.
  • twaltemade
    twaltemade Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Udi's has bread, muffins, pizza crusts, bagels....they all taste like the "real" stuff.

We have tried several almost every brand of gluten free sandwich bread...all very disappointing until we tried the Whole Foods Light Sandwich Bread". It was the closest we have found to real bread as long as you toast it. Found that Udis makes good buns, but the sandwich bread was disappointing. If you have a Whole Foods close by, try their bread and make sure you lightly toast it before eating.

Plenty of other gluten free goodies out there. If you have an ipad, download "Is That Gluten Free". It is a great resource for finding gluten free products in any category you are shopping and much easier than trying to interpret food labels. Gluten hides in a lot of ingredients including things like "modified food starch" or "soy sauce".
  • kathryn_m
    Options
    Oh my...this sounds amazing.
  • kathryn_m
    Options

We have tried several almost every brand of gluten free sandwich bread...all very disappointing until we tried the Whole Foods Light Sandwich Bread". It was the closest we have found to real bread as long as you toast it. Found that Udis makes good buns, but the sandwich bread was disappointing. If you have a Whole Foods close by, try their bread and make sure you lightly toast it before eating.

Plenty of other gluten free goodies out there. If you have an ipad, download "Is That Gluten Free". It is a great resource for finding gluten free products in any category you are shopping and much easier than trying to interpret food labels. Gluten hides in a lot of ingredients including things like "modified food starch" or "soy sauce".

This sounds like a good idea. I am always stuck having to google everything, which only leaves me with a million different answers. And yes, regarding your last thought, I have been noticing that recently. It seems almost nothing is gluten free unless it carries the label! Ahhhhh.
  • pmuscil
    pmuscil Posts: 7
    Options
    omg I just stumbled across this and will def have to try being that it's Friday and I could use a Happy Hour... Michelob Ultra Light Cider. Labeled as "naturally gluten free"...

http://michelobultra.com/Page-Ultra-Cider.aspx
  • lilybug13
    lilybug13 Posts: 154
    Options
  • chatipati1
    chatipati1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I cook/bake GF all the time...for baking..I use Gluuteny flour or Better batter in substitution for regular flour. That way you're not fooling around with mixing flours....been there done that. Karina's Kitchen (if goggled has recipes). You can find tons on the web.
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    I forgot to mention on my initial post that I am trying the gluten free route. I am mainly sticking to fruit, veggies, protein, peanut butter, and occasionally gf cereal! However, I'd like to find some yummy gluten free recipes for things like bread, cake, cupcakes, pizzas, etc. that I can make on special occasions. If you have any...PLEASE SHARE!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/black-bean-brownies/ Serve warm with ice cream. Enjoy, my friend...enjoy.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    There is a gluten free group on here too. I'm a coeliac (I also have other allergies) and tend to make most things from scratch - pasta is the only thing I tend to buy in.

I tend to use normal recipes and just change the ingredients to fit round our needs. Have just started baking again and agree that some of the stuff out there is not great (I live in the UK) but have been recommended Namaste which is on sale on ebay.

Also have a brlliant shop that does do the occasional treat and are fab.
  • kathryn_m
    Options
    There is a gluten free group on here too. I'm a coeliac (I also have other allergies) and tend to make most things from scratch - pasta is the only thing I tend to buy in.

I tend to use normal recipes and just change the ingredients to fit round our needs. Have just started baking again and agree that some of the stuff out there is not great (I live in the UK) but have been recommended Namaste which is on sale on ebay.

Also have a brlliant shop that does do the occasional treat and are fab.

Have you found that when swap the regular ingredients with gluten free ingredients, the food still tastes good? I have been wondering if it could be that easy.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    I tend not to use recipes that uses flour as a main ingredient but if I need to thicken sauces I tend to use corn flour. Most of our starch comes from potatoes, rice and gf pasta.

I make home-made curries and recently made a gorgeous lamb tagine that's was better than the shop bought one.
  • kathryn_m
    Options
    Will you come over and cook for me?! Mmmmm, sounds good.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    very easy to make - basically fry some lamb and onions together with some curry powder ( I use tikka powder) then add a carton of pasata or chopped tomatoes. Then add chopped dried apricots, some flaked almond and to give it a lovely creamy taste add some coconut cream (one sachet does 4 people as its quite high in calories) then just let it cook away for an hour or bung in a slow cooker. I serve it with rice.
  • LMBalfour
    LMBalfour Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for gluten free breads, bagels and muffins, try 'Udi's'. It tastes like the real thing. One of my coworkers, who is Celiac as well suggested Udi's GF double chocolate muffins cut in half with whipped cream and cherry pie filling in the middle. The muffins themselves are dairy free as well, so for those looking for a dairy free option, I've heard Coolwhip is DF as well. Haven't tried this myself but it sounds amazing. They also have awesome cinnamon rolls and pizza crusts to build your own pizza as well. :)
  • stopdropandlose
    stopdropandlose Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I was on pinterest and I found a few recipes :)

Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
    http://www.yammiesglutenfreedom.com/2012/08/six-ingredient-chocolate-fudge-crinkles.html

Fudge Brownies
    http://www.yammiesglutenfreedom.com/2012/09/flourless-fudge-brownies.html

Chocolate Cake
    http://chocolateandcarrots.com/2011/02/secret-ingredient-chocolate-peanut-butter-cake
    (I've made this before and you can't even taste the beans!)

And this is how to make your own substitute for All Purpose Flour
    http://www.treatswithatwist.com/2012/08/gluten-free-all-purpose-flour.html