Talk to me about fitness classes please!

Options
What would you recommend for an overweight beginner?
The obvious (aquafit) isnt in a time slot that I need ... and right now Im only walking outside before joining a gym!
I called the gym and they are no help (they say EVERY class they offer is for all fitness levels)

I dont want to look like a complete loser in a class ... help!

Replies

• mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I think a lot of it depends on finding something that you will enjoy doing. I've never been one for dancing-type classes, so I prefer kickboxing and body-pump classes. Step classes are great, too... but I'm not too coordinated, so I don't do as well in those classes. Spin is an excellent workout, but it's a serious cardio workout and the seats are small and uncomfortable.
  • laminy83
    laminy83 Posts: 16
    Options
    Alot of ppl go with zumba bcuz it really is for all levels. I do the cardio pump and spin class at the gym I go to. The instructor always goes over stuff if she sees new faces and they SHOULD/WILL always tell you to go at a speed comfortable fo u. The majority of all classes will offer a modified version of the workout for ppl. But if the classes are offered for free with the gym membership, you can always stop in & check out a class for a few mins and decide. Sometimes it looks harder than it really is :)
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Spin classes are great for those who are overweight. I found it helpful when I first started and I still try to get in some spinning atleast once a week. Body Pump is also great as you are stationary (no worrying about being uncoordinated) and you are in charge of your weight.

Whichever class you decide to do, talk to the instructor beforehand to let them know that you are new. Ask if they have any tips on modifying moves to your fitness level. Also it will probably take a few times before you feel comfortable with the moves/equipment in the classes so don't give up! Good luck!
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Yes the classes are all free at the place I'm looking to join, so maybe I will take a peek inside... good advice!!