I am so upset. 4 day binge.

Options
I'm competing in a pageant in 13 weeks and am trying to lose 15 lbs. I've been doing so great with exercising and eating 1400 calories a day, the weight has been slowly falling off.

I recently met some of the contestants which I think has messed with my brain, and has caused this pattern of self-sabotage. "I'm not as skinny as them." "I'll never lose weight in time."

So, I just keep eating and eating and eating, to a point where all the water retention is making my skin hurt!

I can't get myself back on track and I'm having trouble not binging. I even woke up this morning, put on my running shoes and had 2 chicken sandwiches. And now, am sitting on the couch because I'm too full.

Please help!

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Don't take this the wrong way...but if it makes you this anxious, maybe competing in pageants isn't for you???
  • CynthiaAnnGA
    Options
    Why do you put yourself through so much stress w/these pageants? If they are causing you hurtful problems don't do them! Get back on track for yourself not for a pageant.
  • mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    your goal of 15 lbs in 13 weeks might be too extreme. You're trying extreme measures to lose the weight and the more you deny yourself, the more you will go off the deep end when you go on a binge.

Lets try this: forget the amount of weight you want to lose....Instead: exercise every day & eat healthy...then your body will respond - you'll be amazed at how well your body will respond...and you'll have something positive to focus on (your health and fitness) and not someone else's body.

I understand letting the others get in your head....but by focusing on your health and fitness - you can keep them out of your head. YOU are YOU and not THEM.
    Good luck - stay in touch!
  • LetsDoTh1S
    LetsDoTh1S Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a goal. Some people want to look good on the beach. Some people want to look good in their wedding dress. I want to look good on stage. Whatever the reason may be, often people self-sabotage.

I have a friend who self-sabotages her diet, because I think she's petrified to go on a date. Would I tell her to just never go on a date? no.

I think you're right about healthy eating and exercising, I'm just having trouble getting myself out of the mentality of self-sabotage. I think it might be my protective shield in case I lose.
  • mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    you are right...everyone has a goal...I've noticed for myself if I set a short term goal...like looking good in a bikini or on stage or wedding dress...then once that goal is reached, I have nothing to reach for anymore - then it goes down hill...or self sabotage. You sound like a very smart young lady and so I have all the confidence you can do this. You have a goal to compete in this pageant - which is fine if that is your choice - just let this be the beginning point of many goals and let your health and fitness be a lifetime of taking care of yourself no matter what goal you decide to pursue.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Your health is first priority. Otherwise, you can't compete in anything if that's what you want. Stick with us here. I bet there are tons of women, or guys here that have been through similar. Keep communicating with people here and you will have lots of support. Not to mention some really good feedback on how to do this thing right. Yes everyone has an opinion but you can listen to all and then decide what you are willing to try, it is your decision. I think you need rest and maybe a simple walk to help you sort things out about what you want to pursue. There is a real science to losing weight and keeping it off in a healthy way. Crash, starvation diets don't last and a person cannot look healthy either because it zaps their strength, ruins their sleep and yes, stresses them out. You are among many friends here, you just havent' met them all yet;) denise:drinker: :drinker:
    I'm competing in a pageant in 13 weeks and am trying to lose 15 lbs. I've been doing so great with exercising and eating 1400 calories a day, the weight has been slowly falling off.

I recently met some of the contestants which I think has messed with my brain, and has caused this pattern of self-sabotage. "I'm not as skinny as them." "I'll never lose weight in time."

So, I just keep eating and eating and eating, to a point where all the water retention is making my skin hurt!

I can't get myself back on track and I'm having trouble not binging. I even woke up this morning, put on my running shoes and had 2 chicken sandwiches. And now, am sitting on the couch because I'm too full.

Please help!
  • LetsDoTh1S
    LetsDoTh1S Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    MY FITNESS PAL IS THE BEST! I feel much better :-)
  • BeckyLH
    BeckyLH Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Skip the pageant! You don't need the to confirm you're beautiful!