Ratatouille Recipe - Yum!!!

EmmaM2211
EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
i've had a lot of my friends asking for this recipe so I thought I'd share it with all you people too!

You can use whatever veg you like - this is my favourite way of doing it

2 cups mushrooms
1 medium onion
2 Courgettes (zucchini)
1 Aubergine (eggplant)
1 Green chilli (more/less is optional)
2 cloves garlic
2 tins of chopped tomatoes
3 peppers (I like one of each colour)
1 cup grated carrot
Oil for cooking (I use flora spray)

It's dead easy - you need a frying pan and a MASSIVE casserole dish.

Dice the onion, crush the garlic and chilli and fry them all together, once soft chuck them in the casserole dish.

Then spend 6 hours dicing the rest of your veg :-D and chuck it in the casserole dish, stir it about as best you can.

Pour the tinned tomatoes over the top - do not stir at this point! The tomato juice will not cover all the veg but dont add more water - I made that mistake once....bad move! Keep the juicy tomatoes on top of all the veg instead

Put lid on casserole dish and put it in the oven about gas mark 5/6 (about 180C I think) for about 1 - 1 1/2 hours stirring occasionally, once the veg starts to melt down then stiring the tomatoes in properly is fine.

What I did last night was for the last 30mins I took the lid off the dish and laid 2 chicken breast on top of the veg - definitely recommend that!!

For a quarter of the dish (a hell of a lot of veg!) it's about 160cals - enjoy! xx

EDT: oh and it freezes very well too :-)

Replies

• ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    sounds great!!! this is why a food processor comes in handy :-) I am going to try this.
  • 2255me
    2255me Posts: 1
    Thanks! That sounds delicious. Always looking for new ways to eat vegetables so they don't perish in the fridge!
  • EmmaM2211
    sounds great!!! this is why a food processor comes in handy :-) I am going to try this.

Oh i so need one of those!! I spend half my life cutting things up!! xx
  • Csitri
    Csitri Posts: 132 Member
    Thank you, I will have to try this really soon.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member

Oh i so need one of those!! I spend half my life cutting things up!! xx

Yea, I went a couple years without one and it just drove me nuts!
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    bump!

sounds yum!
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Love your accent.:laugh:
  • BehindtheScenes
    BehindtheScenes Posts: 38 Member
    Bump
  • claire1977
    claire1977 Posts: 19 Member
    Looks lush em, and super low cal too
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    This sounds so good. Do you have any spices that you recommend using in it?
  • Moretakitty
    Moretakitty Posts: 168 Member
    Bump!
  • livestar
    livestar Posts: 140 Member
    make this
  • EmmaM2211
    This sounds so good. Do you have any spices that you recommend using in it?

I've used paprika in it before, was nice but there's so many flavours in the dish already it's not really necessary. It's good with some fresh herbs too - I've tried chives, basil and parsley (cilantro....?). xx
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    my sister started making this for her family (7kids!) after the movie came out in theaters - kind of like a movie theme night! They were never big veggie eaters, but this changed that -- she even has one that request it for her birthday dinner back in May! But she has discovered she needed to start leaving the eggplant out, it was the one veggie even she wouldn't eat :wink:
  • sttrinians
    sttrinians Posts: 94 Member
    Rosemary is nice or basil.
  • EmmaM2211
    my sister started making this for her family (7kids!) after the movie came out in theaters - kind of like a movie theme night! They were never big veggie eaters, but this changed that -- she even has one that request it for her birthday dinner back in May! But she has discovered she needed to start leaving the eggplant out, it was the one veggie even she wouldn't eat :wink:

It's a great way to get loads of veggies in - the aubergine is my favourite bit!!! :noway:
  • javagsd
    javagsd Posts: 82
    Basil or Herbes de Provence are the traditional herbs. This is good at room temperature, too. I often just make it with zucchini, green peppers, onions, garlic, fresh tomatos, eggplant. Most traditional recipes call for sauteeing the veggies separately but I prefer roasting them - less oil, more carmelization. I do like it better roasted in a hotter oven for a shorter time - more distinct texture.less mushy. A few chopped nicoise or kalamata olives or capers are a nice garnish and little kick.
  • pinklily905
    pinklily905 Posts: 106 Member
    Bump to try later....sounds awesome!
  • EmmaM2211
    Basil or Herbes de Provence are the traditional herbs. This is good at room temperature, too. I often just make it with zucchini, green peppers, onions, garlic, fresh tomatos, eggplant. Most traditional recipes call for sauteeing the veggies separately but I prefer roasting them - less oil, more carmelization. I do like it better roasted in a hotter oven for a shorter time - more distinct texture.less mushy. A few chopped nicoise or kalamata olives or capers are a nice garnish and little kick.

The first few times I made it I sauteed all the veggies seperately....soon got bored of that haha, I cook it for slightly less time so the veggies are a little crunchy, my housemate leaves it in for longer until it mushy - personal preference I guess.

Olives or capers sounds like a great idea - must try that :-) xx
  • mara0318
    mara0318 Posts: 12 Member
    Sounds Great & Easy - The chicken is a great tip - Thank you