cardio during menstrual cycle

Options
first thread i've started here and it's about my reproductive system. figures.

does anyone else have trouble working out when you're on your period? i had a lot that i wanted to do today, and i'm having trouble bringing myself to do any of it.

specifically, i wanted to get up and go to the gym and shop for new workout clothes. even though i woke up with a lot of energy, i still somehow felt exhausted, nauseated, and just generally sick. i really just want to lay on the couch for the next few hours and mope (which is something i really never feel like doing unless i've had a hard day at work, so it's out of character). the morning is ALWAYS the worst for me.

i'd like to be able to push through this, but i'm not certain how. i'm torn between just listening to my body and giving in for a few hours or getting out and potentially feeling more miserable. has anyone with rough periods successfully gotten over this? do you have any tips or tricks for me?

Replies

• froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I usually drag my feet 2-3 days before. I know it will pass, so I usually take those days off. Else, I grab a chocolate bar and get a move on ;-)
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have experienced no effects on my durability or motivation..everyone is different
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I'm also a woman who has a bad time during Lady Days but exercise makes me feel so much better. You just have to push through it and get moving..exercise always makes my cramps subside and in general gives me a sense of physical well-being.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I don't let my period handicap me from life, but I understand each body is different. I started mine today and was able to complete my C25K and do 15 minutes on the ARC trainer.

Motivate yourself. Tell yourself you will ONLY get that new work out gear and go shopping after you go to the gym!

YOU CAN DO IT!
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    A good workout usually helps me. As far as the sluggish part, I don't experience much. Everyone's different. Maybe try a supplement or a strong cup of coffee :drinker:
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me. I still work out just like any other day. However-- I hate how bloated I get! It seems to make doing abs a bit tougher.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies... while we are discussing periods, and the men have took off running... I have a question too!

I know a lot of woman complain about gaining weight (water weight?) before or during their periods. I have avoided my scale for several months and have never really tracked this. What is normal for everyone else so I can be on the look out? Do you gain weight a few days prior/during? Long long until it is off? I started mine today, but so far this week have lost 3lbs.
  • jly33403
    jly33403 Posts: 49
    Options
    I normally force myself to go. I get on the treadmill for ten minutes. After that time if I'm still not feeling it I leave. Sometimes forcing myself to do it makes me feel better, and sometimes I know it won't happen. It's not easy to get myself there. Even if it's only ten or so minutes at least you tried. I always feel better saying I tried and didn't have it than to say I wasn't sure so I didn't.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I usually have to tone it down for exercising during that time. My lower back usually kills and I always feel exhausted and somewhat light headed. I do try to get a lot of water and haven't found anything to really compensate for my low energy. Although, I am lucky that my cycle is very short, only 2-3 days so it isn't too horrid for me.
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies... while we are discussing periods, and the men have took off running... I have a question too!

I know a lot of woman complain about gaining weight (water weight?) before or during their periods. I have avoided my scale for several months and have never really tracked this. What is normal for everyone else so I can be on the look out? Do you gain weight a few days prior/during? Long long until it is off? I started mine today, but so far this week have lost 3lbs.
    I generally gain about a 1/2lb. It goes away around day 3.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I enjoy working out during that time of the month (especially since I've now have a moon cup). I can understand the feeling crap sensation but I have found since losing weight it is much better - plus it can be worth keeping an eye on your iron intake as this can make you feel sluggish if low.
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different of course, but I do feel better exercising when it's my TOM. It helps with the exhaustion, cramps & mood. I do have to sometimes skip the 1st day though becuase of the sick feeling that you're talking about. If you don't get to the gym today, do it tomorrow and watch what you eat today. Also watch your iron too. I have to up mine around that time or I get light headed. Not a good feeling on the eliptical!
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Yeah I used to let it rule my life but since I started working out I'm really committed to making it every day so I pop an Advil and go anyway. Which is a good thing because I've got mine for the second time in 3 freakin weeks. Grrrrrrrr.
  • annabanana1786
    annabanana1786 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Normally, I don't have too tough of a time. But for some reason, this week has been rough on me workout wise. I've felt nauseated and have been dreading all my workouts. I've just been forcing myself to do them. For instance, this morning, I laid around on the couch for awhile and then did some laundry. Then I made myself do my insanity workout and go to the gym. I didn't do my usual length of time running, but the way I look at it is at least I did something. Try to push through, but otherwise, catch up on your workouts once you're feeling better! :)
  • melissan84
    melissan84 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    TOM always make me feel tired & sluggish but I push through & continue through my exercises because I always feel better after. It actually eases down my cramps. But if you don't feel up to it then don't do it. Trust your body!
  • dawnagetsfit
    Options
    I always take in more iron and protein during TOM, helps my body bounce back from all the blood loss!
  • photorea
    photorea Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way!! Don't beat yourself up if you don't work out, or if you work out lower impact on those days! Usually days 1 and 2 I work out low key, talk a little walk, something very mild. And sometimes I don't do anything at all on those days, but make up for it when I'm starting to feel better. Also drink more water and up your protein and iron during those days, that will help too. Good luck!!
  • cchartrand1978
    cchartrand1978 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

I can only speak for myself, but I like to change my exercies up when I have my lady time. I've had three kids and also have had my tubes tied. So from that I gained some weight and was really suffering during that time of the month. But now I'm eating healthy, and when I get those cravings I usally try to stay away from the "bad" foods. This makes it a little easier to handle. I've also consulted with my doctor, just to make sure there wasn't anything else going on.

Wish you luck in your weight loss journey
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options

I usually just don't lose weight for 2 weeks, then drop 3-4lbs the week after.
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I always tend to feel better after I get my work out in. I do drag initially - but once I'm at it I go strong and feel much better for it. I've also noticed that since consistently working out - I'm not as crampy in general- so bonus!