Too much protein???

Options
On my food log today, I went nearly 40 over my suggested protein intake. Is this bad or normal? My protein intake should have been 45, but instead, it was 84. Should I adjust my goals? At what point is eating too much protein bad for you? Thanks!

Kathryn

Replies

• britcurl
    britcurl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I try to have around 150 g a day, so I think you are fine!
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I eat around 100+g.

0.8g per pound of body weight for women is sufficient if you exercise

http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein_2.htm
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I try to get at least 115g a day. It's fine! :)
  • kathryn_m
    kathryn_m Posts: 31
    Options
    So then I should be eating more, yes?
  • erdunn75
    erdunn75 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    the daily allowances on here are screwed up In my opinion. Our bodies need more protein a day than most people get.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    the daily allowances on here are screwed up In my opinion. Our bodies need more protein a day than most people get.

I only use the caloric intake feature mostly to watch out for carbs, and fats, and overall calories. Protein is one of those things that I am usually over.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I try to eat 1 gram per pound of body weight. Going over that isn't going to hurt you one bit and a higher protein diet is better for muscle retention while you're losing weight. It also doesn't trigger the insulin response loop that carbohydrates does.

You can adjust your goals manually. Go to My Home... Goals.... Change Goals... Pick "Custom" and change your protein level so that it's more to your liking.
  • kathryn_m
    kathryn_m Posts: 31
    Options
    What if I want to get in more protein, but I'm already at my calorie goal? Is it okay too eat more calories as long as they are protein rich? Will it really hurt me to eat another piece of chicken, or a 2 salmon fillets if I'm feeling I need more protein?
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    What if I want to get in more protein, but I'm already at my calorie goal?

It's still calories and yes you can get fat eating nothing but fish. Sure it's harder because it's a lot more filling but it is possible. Cut back on the carbs and add in more protein. You might be surprised to see how much I eat. Check out my diary because I normally hit over 200 a day easy.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If you go over your protein amount you will surely die.

Someday.
  • Themuseinme
    Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    last time i did low carb i had a gout attack.it didnt happen when i was on that diet and younger. i know i have the genetic propensity for it. Is there any way to eat leal ow carb and avoid it? perhaps a tea that would remove purines???????
  • retoucher
    retoucher Posts: 3
    Options
    I recently heard that your protein intake should equal the amount you want to weigh: if you want to be 130, then eat 130 g of protein a day. I am severely lacking in my protein intake. So I am adding more meat to my diet to get it up there. I have my own chickens, so I get some in the eggs, but they're only 6 g per egg so that doesn't quite cut it! :ohwell:
  • Themuseinme
    Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    last time i did low carb i had a gout attack.it didnt happen when i was on that diet and younger. i know i have the genetic propensity for it. Is there any way to eat leal ow carb and avoid it? perhaps a tea that would remove purines???????
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    you can change the numbers...the protein set my MFP is WAY low
  • StephJB1221
    StephJB1221 Posts: 225
    Options
    I eat 1300-1500 calories a day 40% of my day is protein, 40% carbs and 20% fats I eat a lot of protein :)
  • Futureiznow
    Options
    30g fat to me seems low for a woman pre-menopause. The % is sometimes irrelevant.

In any event I'm comfortable eating 1-2g/kg or about .8-1.8g/lb protein myself, and I'm a
    post-MANopause guy!
  • south001
    south001 Posts: 19
    Options
    On my food log today, I went nearly 40 over my suggested protein intake. Is this bad or normal? My protein intake should have been 45, but instead, it was 84. Should I adjust my goals? At what point is eating too much protein bad for you? Thanks!

Kathryn
    HERE IS A TABLE TO WORK OUT THE PROTEIN,

Weight in kg x 0.8-1.8 gm/kg = protein gm.
    Use a lower number if you are in good health and are sedentary (i.e., 0.8). Use a higher number (between 1 and 1.8) if you are under stress, are pregnant, are recovering from an illness, or if you are involved in consistent and intense weight or endurance training.
    Example: 154 lb male who is a regular exerciser and lifts weights
    154 lbs/2.2 = 70kg
    70kg x 1.5 = 105 gm protein/day

S im 96 x 1.6 basically , need 153 grams of protein a day.
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I strive for 200 grams per day.
  • nonworkoutdays
    Options

Kathryn
    HERE IS A TABLE TO WORK OUT THE PROTEIN,

Weight in kg x 0.8-1.8 gm/kg = protein gm.
    Use a lower number if you are in good health and are sedentary (i.e., 0.8). Use a higher number (between 1 and 1.8) if you are under stress, are pregnant, are recovering from an illness, or if you are involved in consistent and intense weight or endurance training.
    Example: 154 lb male who is a regular exerciser and lifts weights
    154 lbs/2.2 = 70kg
    70kg x 1.5 = 105 gm protein/day

S im 96 x 1.6 basically , need 153 grams of protein a day.

actually scientists have found that consuming up to 2.2g per kg of LBM is the limit.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I try to have around 150 g a day, so I think you are fine!

Me too. MFP sets your protein levels too low IMO