I have hit and can't break through another plateau

Options
2»

Replies

• Lillouns
    Lillouns Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Need to eat more! Your BMR is what your body would burn itself.. say if you were in a coma. You should NEVER eat under your BMR. Check out Fat 2 Fit radio. They have great podcasts about BMR and how much you CAN eat and still lose weight. :)
  • auria17
    auria17 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Ya, I really think you should up the calories, and the protein intake!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    eat more.

change up your work out routine.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I was told by my doc no more long cardio, my body has adjusted and my metobolism is in the toilet, doc said to go to short HARD bursts of exercise. Intervals try it and you can go for shorter time periods just as intense as you can

^^^ Exactly this. I never do more than 30 minutes of cardio at a time. I use the Interval mode and have it cycle between a 0 and 5% incline in regular 2 minute intervals. There's no need to do 1 hour cardio sessions. It tanks your metabolism just like the doc said.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I have been working with MFP for almost a year and lost a solid 30 lbs and need to lose another 18 to be at my ideal weight. However I have hit another plate and can't seem to bust through it. I am doing interval training on my treadmill and elliptical. I have even added road biking into my mix. I have my activity level set to sedentary and my caloric intake is 1290 calories without exercise which is very tough. But I am working out 6 days a week for about 60 to 85 minutes and it is wearing me down. the lowest i got to was 188.8 lbs. Now I am about 191.5 daily average. I admit I am not staying below my cleric goal which is probably half of my problem but it is very tough. I eat whatever I burn in exercise and go over by maybe 200 calories. So net calories ends up being between 1300 and 188 calories. My BMR says I burn about 2150 calories per day. I don't eat sugary drinks and my only weaknesses are sweet cereals once in a while, some kettle corn, and I have been drinking light beer. I try to stay heavy on the protein and light on carbs and fat. Any help would be very appreciated.

This is a little confusing.

Are you saying your Basal Metabolic Rate is 2,150 daily? I think there is something wrong with this number unless you are a giant and 7'5 tall. For a male your age and weight that's 6 feet tall Basal Metabolic Rate is 1900.

I don't understand how you came up with your goal of 1,290 before exercise (I'm a 5'5 female 161 lb eating more than you).

Your TDEE (caloric goal to maintain weight):
    1) moderately active (3-6 hours a week) 1.55X1,900BMR=2,945calories
    or
    2) very active (6-7 hours a week) 1.725* 1,900BMR=3,278 calories

Assuming worst case scenario, if you were moderately active and eating 2900-500=2,400 daily you should lose ONE pound a week. You are eating HALF that. No wonder you feel like you are starving.

Listen to your body and eat if you are hungry, your body obviously needs it.

If I were you I would also double check the BMR amount and re-do the above calculations.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I think your not eating enough so try raising your calories from 1200 to 1300 and then eat your calories that you exercise also. Everytime I increase my caloreis I have lost weight. I usually will increase my calories by 100 more a day every two weeks giving my body time to adjust to the extra calories. I am at a weight that I want to maintain so I am working my way up to find what my maintenance level is but like I said every time I add more calories I lose weight. I only walk about 25 minutes a day four times a week and I have lost 22 pounds. Today I had to have a cheat day because I dropped more weight and and now below the weight goal I want to be so I'm eating a bit to gain. Give it a try. I kept a journal on everything I've done and so far this has really worked for me. All you can do is test it out to see. I never gained any weight from increasing my calories except for cheat days of course, probably because I only increase 100 calories more a day and stay that way for 2 weeks before In increase again. Hope this helps
  • polishmehappy
    polishmehappy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    May I suggest that you eat a little more? 1290 calories is too little for a guy... just saying :) maybe your body is in starvation mode.