Can you ever remove the emotional attachment to food?

Options
Just a random thought? I know some people who generally just eat when they are hungry or because the feel like something, and don't put much thought into it. It feels like I always OVER THINK everything I eat (healthy or bad) hmmm....

Replies

• pixijude
    pixijude Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i wonder that too!feeling a bit crap tonight and my thoughts?!what can i eat to make myself feel better!!!
  • healthymission92
    Options
    Yes, even if I eat something healthy I still think about it. I don't think I have just ate something without considering is it healthy or not for years. My decision is always thought out logically to the point where I even wonder what food do I actually even LIKE.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I feel like once you're in the habit of being so conscientious about what you eat, it's very difficult to go back to just eating without thinking about what you're eating.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Seek out an emotional freedom techniques practitioner. They can remove your emotional attachment by helping you to deal with the underlying reasons. It's simple, really.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Just a random thought? I know some people who generally just eat when they are hungry or because the feel like something, and don't put much thought into it. It feels like I always OVER THINK everything I eat (healthy or bad) hmmm....

I think there are some foods we associate with certain times. Chocolate for Valentine's Day, for example.

At our house, it would be turkey for Thanksgiving, chocolate and cookies for Christmas. Of course, you could have chocolate and/or cookies at anytime, but it's more prevalent around the holidays.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself, but yes I have found many foods that used to have an emotional pull/attachment for me have now lost all or most of that pull.
    I've been on MFP for over a year, at 1200 calories. For months I whined about and craved my favorite high calorie foods: pizza, nachos, greasy burgers, fried chicken, to name a few. Over time though I learned to have some of these things in moderation and some of them actually lost their appeal all together. Several times I've had an old favorite only to find it wasn't as good as I remembered. I made quite a few new "food friends" and don't hang around with the "old gang" much anymore. Their not evil, but I've moved on....
  • healthymission92
    Options
    I can only speak for myself, but yes I have found many foods that used to have an emotional pull/attachment for me have now lost all or most of that pull.
    I've been on MFP for over a year, at 1200 calories. For months I whined about and craved my favorite high calorie foods: pizza, nachos, greasy burgers, fried chicken, to name a few. Over time though I learned to have some of these things in moderation and some of them actually lost their appeal all together. Several times I've had an old favorite only to find it wasn't as good as I remembered. I made quite a few new "food friends" and don't hang around with the "old gang" much anymore. Their not evil, but I've moved on....

thats a good way to look at it actually, I think as I considered them 'forbiddin' i binged on them when I had a tiny bit.