• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Are you diabetic?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    So delicious, but so high in sugar.

It is natural and can be eaten as such.....................no need in stresing over that.

I am a former diabetic who is now back to the insulin resistant stage and I eat watermelon in the summer when they are in season.

Locally grown and bought from farmers market.
  • realized007
    Options
    unless you have a medical condition - there is nothing wrong with sugar..
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    So?
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    Are you diabetic?

No, I'm not. I just didn't realize they had so much sugar! lol.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    If it didn't come out of a package, don't worry about the sugar.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Are you diabetic?

No, I'm not. I just didn't realize they had so much sugar! lol.

Then don't concern yourself too much with sugar intake provided you are using some common sense with your food selection. By common sense I mean that you may have a treat here and there but the majority of your intake isn't snickers bars. Eat your fruit, it's good for you and tasty.

No need to complicate it.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Watermelons are usually frown upon by people who are diabetics because it is up there in the glycemic index chart. I assume you are not diabetic because of this post. As long as you are not eating watermelon as a staple to your diet and massive amounts of it a few pieces here and there won't hurt you. Moderation is the key. If you forbid yourself of everything then your will most likely self destruct and quit your diet all together.
  • meglynne1987
    meglynne1987 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Watermelons are usually frown upon by people who are diabetics because it is up there in the glycemic index chart. I assume you are not diabetic because of this post. As long as you are not eating watermelon as a staple to your diet and massive amounts of it a few pieces here and there won't hurt you. Moderation is the key. If you forbid yourself of everything then your will most likely self destruct and quit your diet all together.

Well Said
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    watermelon, grapes, strawberries. They are all high in sugar. But it's natural sugar. Not as someone said, a candy bar. I do not look much at my sugar intake. We are supposed to eat 5 servings of them a day, so i think it's perfectly fine.
  • cagmpca
    cagmpca Posts: 1
    Options
    I was recently reading an article about children's diets and sugar. Cant remember pub NYT? But the point with sugar in fruit is that it comes with all the healthy fiber to support its' digestion. Much different than straight sugar and don't forget the anti oxidents many pack as well!
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Ain't nothing wrong with watermelon. Don't worry about the sugar.
  • lmwch
    lmwch Posts: 4
    Options
    sadly to say alot of healthy vegs and fruits are high in sugars. i chart check which ones are not before i go shopping so i am not disappointed when i get home.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    So? It's very good for you.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I was recently reading an article about children's diets and sugar. Cant remember pub NYT? But the point with sugar in fruit is that it comes with all the healthy fiber to support its' digestion. Much different than straight sugar and don't forget the anti oxidents many pack as well!

Yes, this ^^ When looking at sugar, it's important to look at the package it come in. Fruit sugar comes with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fiber. An Oreo, not so much.
  • Ilysandrew11
    Ilysandrew11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    watermelon, grapes, strawberries. They are all high in sugar. But it's natural sugar. Not as someone said, a candy bar. I do not look much at my sugar intake. We are supposed to eat 5 servings of them a day, so i think it's perfectly fine.

I agree with her....fruit has natural sugar...I wouldnt be too worried about it!!! I had watermelon the other day and it was 40 calories!!! There is a way in your daily diary to watch the sugar intake, thats how I am trying to tame myself!!! :)
  • tennisbabe94
    tennisbabe94 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It's nature's candy! Eat up! :happy: