Please help :/ Need wise words!

Options
Is it okay if I don't exercise on some days if I stick to my calorie goal? I have exercised twice this week for 50 mins as well as walking a bit...i want to gradually increase my exercise week by week...will I still lose weight if I do this? I eat 1200 calories a day!

Replies

• hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    In order, yes and probably.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    You should be fine if you take rest days. They are actually recommended. Do you include weight training in your routine?
  • annibelz247
    Options
    Thanks :) I dont have any weights yet but am going to get some so I can!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Yes you'll be fine. You don't actually need to exercise in order to lose weight - as long as you have a calorie deficit. You can do that through diet alone. Of course, exercise is very good for you - overall health, fitness, maintaining lean body mass as you lose weight etc. Gradually increasing the amount you're doing sounds like a good plan. Even when you're doing more, it's important to have rest days as well.
  • dwtharp
    dwtharp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay below the calorie goal (but not too much ... don't go into "starvation mode"), and you are honest and diligent about logging your food, you *will* lose weight.

I think of exercise as a way to "get more calories for the day to eat". But as long as I come in under my calorie goal, I know I will be down a pound or two at the end of the week.

One note about excercise calories that MFP calculates -- I've noticed that as I get closer to my goal, the numbers MFP gives for a particular activity are a little high compared to what my heart rate monitor gives. If you have a way to independently get your workout calorie numbers, especially as you start getting toward your goal weight, it's a good idea.

Final thought: You *can* do this! Step by Step, week by week. Keep at it!

-Dave
  • ttesta20
    ttesta20 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It's all about balance! Just as not exercising is bad for you, too much exercise isn't beneficial either. Rest days are very important for your body to be able to heal and recover, especially after a particularly strenuous workout. Even if you stick to 1200 calories, be sure you're making healthy choices with your meals, and always eat back your exercise calories. There's a big difference between 1200 calories of fresh, healthy food and 1200 calories of junk. Stay active, make good food choices, and all will be fine. You can do this!
  • ChaCha9904
    ChaCha9904 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    they say weight loss is 85% food, 15% exercise BUT the more muscle you have, the more fat you will burn when you're not doing anything at all. If you are going have that many rest days then I would recommend pushing cardio and weight training on the days you work out that way you build up your muscle mass and that way you speed up weight loss.
  • cakramer75
    cakramer75 Posts: 10
    Options
    You can do a WIDE range of body weight exercise without any equipment! Google it... But a couple suggestions: push-ups, pull-ups, squats, lunges...
  • ChaCha9904
    ChaCha9904 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    and also make sure that those 1200 are counting for something...good carbs, healthy fats and lean proteins
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    That is what I did.

Workout twice a week.
    Kept a 1200cal diet on non-workout days.
    I ate half my calories back on workout days.

I reached my goal. For maintenance, I add a 3rd workout. But only because I am training for a Triathlon. I am a big believer of giving 110% during workouts but also many rest days.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    You can do a WIDE range of body weight exercise without any equipment! Google it... But a couple suggestions: push-ups, pull-ups, squats, lunges...

This. and calf raises.