My first spin class

Options
It totally killed me! I've been gymming it for at least 6 months now and thought I was getting in pretty good shape. But that spin class proved me wrong. The first 20 minutes were very hard, but after I got over that hump, I felt great. I'm scared to see how my legs react tomorrow. But all in all, a great workout. And it burned over 600 calories too! Anyone have tips on how to keep the seat from hurting my bottom? It hurts so bad right now!

Replies

• singcoz528
    Options
    I have that problem too. I have an exercise bike but I never use it b/c it hurts my bottom so much.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I LOVE spin, I went to go this morning and the class was full, I was so mad! They are really popular and theres a great instructor on my gym which as you'll see makes a big difference, some push you more than others but its also about how you push yourself! Your butt will be sore for a few days probably but don't let it stop you from going back, you will get used to it. Some people put pads on them, I think you can buy them at target or something and some people wear the cycling shorts with pads in them, but you'll get used to it don't worry! ... and great job!

~Leash :heart:
  • Crunchytxmama
    Crunchytxmama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    The pain will get better. You'll get used to it and it won't hurt as bad. I hadn't taken a spin class in 3-4 months and took one last night. I'm a little sore today, but NOTHING like the first time!
  • wks7777
    wks7777 Posts: 230
    Options
    i was planning to do spinning for the first time tonite actually and that was one of my big concerns is sitting on that seat for an hour...i hear u can get pillows or pads...im hoping someone else who knows will answer!
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    im using a free pass at la fitness [what a difference it is from planet fitness where i used to go which was so ghetto!] and once i sign up [friday when i get paid!] i wana do spin. it looks like a definite workout for sure haha. i used the stairmaster thing for 20 minutes last night and sweat like 5 times as much as i do on the elliptical at home which i usually do 40 minutes!
  • kgrutch
    kgrutch Posts: 223
    Options
    believe it or not the seat issue will get much better. it took me about 3 classes to get over it. try to shift your butt back into the seat farther if it starts to get sore, you shift the pressure points around. i do spin 2 x week now and i love it but i like to do a lot of different classes to keep it different and work different areas. spin is one of my favorites but can be a killer, especially when you crank up the resistance, yikes!! good luck and keep with it!
  • dujennifer
    dujennifer Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I wear padded bicycle shorts and they do wonders!
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I LOVE to spin :love: What a workout! Well, actually, I switched it up to mornings with this new teacher and he SUCKS and plays crappy music, so I have to kind of do my own thing, but with the right teacher, it is amazing!
  • Hopey1994
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I'm def. not ready to rock the bike shorts, so if I don't feel better after 2 or 3 more classes I'll get a seat cover. They realized at the end of the class that my seat was all the way back (and I'm 5'1"), so that probably is what is hurting me the most. I wish I could go 2x a week, but their second class is on my volunteer day at church.

vanimami I'm sorry your teacher stinks but at least you know what to do and can do your own thing!
  • pushyourself1
    Options
    Spinning is by far the best way to burn calories and get your legs STRONG. I was faithful for two years Mon, Wed, Sat. But your butt is going to be sore for a day or so. Take a 20 minute walk to get things going again. Good Luck!
  • Hopey1994
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips guys. By some miracle I'm not even sore today (except for my tush a little)! I'll def. be going back next Tuesday. Hopefully I can stick with it because I felt so great afterwards yesterday!